Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WW1/2 Building Diorama Suggestions & Critique

vertex
HEY GUYS AND GALS.

So i'm making a diorama I was suggested to make for a sort of arts test/show off to a games company Im applying for. 

The arts style is realistic and is set around a war game.
Firstly of corse is my collage of images I found interesting and to use as reference. I then Started with my base mesh using maya and then took it into zbrush. Here I used the projection master to project a brick brush all over. I then cut out between bricks at the ends.
I then created a secondary base mesh and used that as a separate tool to create the plaster on the brick.

My next step is to create some alphas of bullet holes and maybe some large explosive holes. To make it look like its in a war ground. Then obviously to add the extra assets like doors, rubble etc.

So let me know what you think and i'm open to harsh criticism, so go crazy. Thanks.

Replies

• mrgilbert159
    As I'm making this scene I'm still learning a lot of things so the process is slow at the moment. I've learnt a lot about making alphas and brushes over the weekend. I wanted to create some bullet holes on my wall so I looked at some references.

I started modelling a bullet hole to use as an alpha. After making the alpha I realised it would take to long to individually place a hole. So I create a my own brush. I still don't know how to edit all of the brush settings.
    I wanted the brush to be random in nature. So as I stroke, I would get the holes to appear in different sizes and directions. Also to be spaced out instead of a single stroked line. Apparently a lot of people are having this issue of not being able to create spacing for their brushes. I read that you can only access the spacing cursor when in projection master. After going into projection master and editing the spacing, The alpha then creates a square border. More practice and help is needed on this one. 

Anyway, this is what i came up with. I have a bullet hole brush and the other is a larger explosive sort of hole. Because its large, there is more detail in the hole to compensate for the same detail when placed next to the bullet holes. Also its just an alhpa because I wont be using it as often.
    I think the bullet holes might need to be more prominent and for the blast holes, I might need to take away some of the bkaster that would form around the hole. Thoughts?

Oh, also I was suggested that i need to sharpen up my corner for both the bricks and plaster. And not have the plaster not so uniform around the edges.  This helps it look a lot more realistic I agree. I might need to do the same with the bullet holes.
  • mrgilbert159
    Another update. Got some of the trimings done today. Tomorrow ill give them some variation to also go with the wall damage.  
  • mrgilbert159
    This is the part where its starting to all come together. So now I've added the windows, doors and all the trimmings. It really gives it some depth.
    Was also fun modelling wood for a change.

Projection master is my new best friend. I was able to add all the detail really quickly by just doing it once on a plane, then using projection master to apply it in the areas I needed. It also allows me to keep the detail consistent, so everything looks like it goes together. Like the doors and windows.

Next I need to make a Bullet hole WOOD alpha. To continue the spray of bullets across the building. Also I need to figure out how I'm going to approach the glass. Either model it in zbrush or just draw them in Quixel using normal maps and transparency maps. 

Oh, and of course. Cant forget the door handles and such.

• Kid.in.the.Dark
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Gilbert,

Loving the work so far, the attention to detail on those walls are really looking nice.

I think my biggest concern is the denting on it, specifically the two biggest ones visible on the front wall. The biggest one doesn't strike me as convincing nor realistic... I could be wrong but just general logic in my head says if something were able to cause that much damage to the brick walls or a indent that deep would have broken through the wall or on top of that had a much heavier impact on the surrounding areas e.g. long cracks, multiple additional cracks that connect with other cracks in the wall or weaker areas of the wall that the pressure was able to release through.
    Ideally small bullet holes would make sense but the big ones kind of make me question what caused it? perhaps a tank? then why couldn't the tank finish the job? are the walls reinforced with a steel inner coating? It's hard to say but considering the state of the rest of the building I doubt it would have been reinforced in only that small area.

The one around the top (second biggest indent) kind of just warps the bricks it hit.. again it wouldn't be realistic since the bricks would have completely crumbled if it had suffered an impact that big.

However this does look nice, it's just the little things right now :)

Keep going (Y)
  • Cay
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    I was wondering if it's supposed to be unique.
    Not that you hack away at it forgetting that you should be using tiling textures/modular approach mostly?
    If I was to make a game of that scale where you'd see many buildings with different destruction stages it'd definitly make sense to keep it super modular.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Cay said:
    I was wondering if it's supposed to be unique.
    Not that you hack away at it forgetting that you should be using tiling textures/modular approach mostly?
    If I was to make a game of that scale where you'd see many buildings with different destruction stages it'd definitly make sense to keep it super modular.
    Judging by the title I assume OP is making a diorama as opposed to a full game/level: hence the unique assets.

@Mistergilbertti59, I agree with @Kid.in.the.Dark  the severe damage doesn't suit the brick structure at all and doesn't really make sense. It would be more suited to concrete. Especially on the lower crater, there is no trace of the bricks within the damage, which isn't at all believable. Also, as bricks are usually 100mm wide(assuming this is single brick and not a cavity wall) the hole would be completely punched through judging by the depth of the damage. And the lack of evidence of any damage in the immediate surrounding area of the crater would never be the case. A single brick wall hit with that force by a tank shell would be devastated, leaving the neighbouring window opening collapsed.

Nice work though. Great to see you using Projection Master. I often use it myself. It's been in ZB for so long now that most new users don't even know about it! :smile: 
  • Meloncov
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Doing a unique high-polygon of every building is going to get prohibitively time consuming and resource intensive. Try looking into creating a shader that lets you use vertex color to blend damaged and undamaged areas.
  • mrgilbert159
    @musashidan @Kid.in.the.Dark 
    I agree, It was bothering me that It didn't make sense. I just didn't want to start putting more holes in my model as being a diorama there will be no background or inside, making it feel empty. But It will have to be done. I'm still very new to zbrush. 
    Also is there a link anywhere for me to export each tool separately. As I will actually be making some of these tools modular sets. 
    At the moment there all separate objects in one subtool. 

@Cay This wont be for a game but once I am done I will probably create some modular assets and tillable textures from this scene. It will of coarse make it less unique but i would like to see it in a game engine. 
    Just need to learn how to Re topologies within zbrush or like how I asked, to export each asset into maya and bake it that way which I have a lot of experience in doing already.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll keep you updated. 
  • Cay
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    Oh ok then it's fine I guess. You mentioned it as sort of an art test for a game company.. so I thought it would make sense to bring it up.
  • mrgilbert159
    Ye I'm doing it to show them i can adapt to there art style and create some good looking work in zbrush. The low poly stuff would come later :)