Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

The Beast - Summoned

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
jmiles interpolator

Hey Polycounters!  Making my entry official.

Edit:

The Three and the One

This is the tale of four sisters who practiced magics.  The first sister reveled in the magics that would give her power over all who opposed her.  The second sister studied what she could about how to keep herself young, and beautiful, and always ageless.  The third sister; of magic that would give her wealth beyond measure.  With all their study, practice and execution, however, none of the Three could summon the will to obtain their true potential.  The fourth and eldest sister, Rose Red, on the other hand, was humble, beautiful, and a delight to all who knew her.  Her skills came quite naturally to her, and she was well practiced in enchantments of the protection of others.  She warned her sisters not to be overcome by the greed and lust they so desired.  In secret, she placed enchantments under their beds as they slept, to protect her siblings from the wrath that awaited them in their lives to come, and thereafter.  Her true magic came from the heart, and since the other three sisters had no hearts to speak of, their powers were naught.  She did the best she could to prevent the influence of her sister's lust, but in the end they were overtaken with the Darkness.  Jealous of the eldest sister's abilities, they plotted to carve out her heart and split it three ways among them.  One night, the three young sisters stumbled upon a piece of rare magic in a great old tomb, in the graveyard where they practiced their fowl magics.  There, on the walls of the tomb, they read of a mystical Beast that could render the desires of those who summoned him.  The Spell warned them, however, to revere the Beast with the utmost fear and respect. The three of them, anxious to claim their prize, combined their efforts and, in an impatient effort, spoke the words.  Before their eyes, appearing in a fiery storm of smoke and flame, came a Beast of immense majesty and eminence.  In a thundering voice he inquired: "Who dares summon me to this plane of the living?"  The sister of Power spoke up first, "We three have, oh great Beast of the Deep, for we desire to be boon with Power, Beauty and Wealth beyond measure.  And most of all, we demand that you rend out the heart of our wretched sister, and divide it amongst us in three pieces.  Do what you wish with the rest of her!  And you will do our bidding, Demon, or you will bow before the might of the Three Sisters!"  The Beast looked down upon them and sneered.  "You know not to whom you speak, naive.  I shall grant you the desires of your hearts."  And with that, the Beast took the Sister of Power's tongue, her wits, and shackled her in heavy chains so that she might walk the earth forever as his obedient slave.  He gave the Vain Sister the undying life she so desired, but at the price of taking her eyes, and turning her into a hideous hag, so that she may never again look upon her vanity, or know the adoration of others.  Lastly, the Greedy Sister was granted the wealth she so desired by being turned into a pillar of gold with ruby eyes. He placed her inside the chamber of the tomb so that she may forever watch her sisters suffer the wrath of the Beast.

Three days later, Rose Red went to look for her sisters.  Her incite told her that something was terribly wrong, and she knew her sisters had a favorite hiding place to go practice their magics, and so she traveled to the graveyard.  There, she was smitten by the sounds of wails and cries coming from the tomb chamber.  She was overcome with tears, grief and awe at the sight of the Beast watching over her witless wailing sisters.  "You must be the one they commanded me to kill.  Their jealousy, vanity, greed and lack of compassion has cost them much.  Now that I see you, I see your heart; and you do not strike me as the like.  As I have said, they wanted you dead-- and not just dead, but your heart rent and divided in three.  Why?  Answer quickly!"  She hesitantly replied: "Great one! I only give while they only mean to take.  I put my faith and strength in others while they trust only themselves.  My protective magics pour out from the love that is within my heart, and if it is my heart that will release them from your debt, I pay it gladly!  Please, Great One!  Have mercy."

He could see, as the tears streamed down her face, that this was the true face of Beauty.  He pitied her, and it pained him to bind their contract with her life.  As she submitted to the Beast, he reached out and pulled her in at the small of her back, cleaved her breast and took her heart.  She let out a great wail, and crumbled to the ground.  From her thrice broken heart, the Beast then fashioned three enchanted ruby necklaces.  Placing the necklaces on the necks of each of the Three.  Their wits and beauty and wealth returned to them instantly, but as they witnessed the sacrifice their oldest sister payed so that they might have life again, they no longer desired their ways of old.  The Beast boomed: "Take these enchanted relics with a promise and a warning.  Be mindful of your passions as they do not make you who you are.  Your actions do.  If you remove your relics, you will return to your path of pain.  If you combine your relics, your sister will return to you, but again, you return to your doom.  I suggest the ladder-- Live as your sister did.  Choose wisely."

THE END

There is still a bit I'd like to expand upon with this story (from a gameplay point of view) and I've thought about the Three Sisters giving up the necklaces after being unable to cope with the grief and the loss of their Sister who loved them-- they would combine the necklaces, which would form into a crystal rose shape, bringing Rose back to life.  From there, I'd love for Rose to be able to summon the Beast as a protective guardian for her to fight evil that has crept into the world since the fateful night of the Three Sisters.  They go on a journey to save the world and perhaps bring salvation back to the sisters and lock the Beast away from the world forever.. but that's me just puking thoughts.  I hope you all will enjoy the development of this character-- there are tons of great entries already-- good luck to everyone! have fun and happy sculpting!

Replies