Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Animating All My Rigs, a little rusty.

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
JesseMilesChainsaw polycounter lvl 3
So I'm making the switch from Rigging Tech Artist to more of a Technical Animator. The problem is, even though I've done a fair amount of animation, I don't have much to show for it. I've been concentrating on learning Python for the last year or so, so I'm kind of rusty with the animation.

I started animating some of my rigs as practice, I figured I could give them all animations in time. I started with this guy, Baron Kog Maw. (ignore the run, I have since tweaked it, which you'll see in the second video)

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/154667807" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

<p><a href="">BKM Walk/Run 1</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/jessemilessnyder">jesse miles snyder</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

After a little critique on the run, i did this...

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/154803923" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

<p><a href="">BKMrun2</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/jessemilessnyder">jesse miles snyder</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

So I need to tweak the walk from the first video and then this second run cycle. Any critique would be appreciated. Thanks!

I also have no idea what I'm doing with embedding, I'll get it right next time...

Replies

• Magihat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    The run looks very rough and stuttery. There doesn't seem to be a thru-line of flow in the body.  Some examples would be the head just getting rigid after it's bounced and the tail not following the movement of the main body. The walk on the other hand is quite good even if it could use some speed variance to make the movement less mechanic.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Jesse! Good to see you in here :D 

Like I said previously, the amount of follow through currently isn't cutting it for the run with this lumbery type of fellow.  I'd say speed it up as well to really sell the power and ferocity behind it. 

What were you using as reference?
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Hito just completed a beast run cycle; you could inspire from him or ask questions on how he achieved it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as_JTLUQnBc

But wait; what's the difference between a Rigger and a technical animator? Aren't both the same?
  • JesseMilesChainsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat said:
    The run looks very rough and stuttery. There doesn't seem to be a thru-line of flow in the body.  Some examples would be the head just getting rigid after it's bounced and the tail not following the movement of the main body. The walk on the other hand is quite good even if it could use some speed variance to make the movement less mechanic.
    Thank you, the tail has been a challenge for sure, I'll probably go back and do it all over again as it's just kind of out of control after so man little tweaks.

heboltz3 said:
    Hey Jesse! Good to see you in here :D 

Like I said previously, the amount of follow through currently isn't cutting it for the run with this lumbery type of fellow.  I'd say speed it up as well to really sell the power and ferocity behind it. 

What were you using as reference?
    Thanks! good to be here.

I'll probably do a whole new run from scratch and rethink how I want him to move. I was going off a lion run.

Blond said:
    Hito just completed a beast run cycle; you could inspire from him or ask questions on how he achieved it.

But wait; what's the difference between a Rigger and a technical animator? Aren't both the same?
    This is great! I'll see what I can do.

It seems like everyone has different ideas, but basically, I used to just rig and I was learning to make tools with Python, no animating really. Now however, I want to concentrate on animation more than python tools. I'll still use python in rigging, but it wont be my main focus for now.
  • Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    Hello JesseMilesChainsaw!

Good start , I remember that I struggled alot with animal walk cycle D:!!
    right now the walk feels like the computer is doing alot of transitions by itself , get more control over your animal :)!!

What really help me understand how the animal move ( 4 legs ) was this picture and of course all the feedback from the awesome people over here :)http://sillydragon.com/muybridge/Plate_0709/Plate_709_Dog_Maggie_Galloping.jpg

And for a walk cycle I watched animals and this tutorial

hope it helps even a bit :)
    looking good for a start!
  • JesseMilesChainsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, thanks again for the help before, i tweaked some things and was hoping for more feedback, thanks!

BKMwalkRun2 from jesse miles snyder on Vimeo.

• JesseMilesChainsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow said:
    Hello JesseMilesChainsaw!

Good start , I remember that I struggled alot with animal walk cycle D:!!
    right now the walk feels like the computer is doing alot of transitions by itself , get more control over your animal :)!!

What really help me understand how the animal move ( 4 legs ) was this picture and of course all the feedback from the awesome people over here :)http://sillydragon.com/muybridge/Plate_0709/Plate_709_Dog_Maggie_Galloping.jpg

And for a walk cycle I watched animals and this tutorial 

hope it helps even a bit :)
    looking good for a start!
    I didn't even see this until that last post, thanks a lot! i'll check this out.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On the walk, the arms still seem pretty robotic and going from A-B without much easing in and out at the end of the strides, pretty linear.  Also looks like they are literally linear, might want to add some small left-right movement in there. 

The shouldermovement seems pretty cool, but I wouldn't really say the shoulder is leading the arm right now.  Before the hand takes off, the shoulder should begin its movement and the hand should follow that.  Checking out a few refs from gorillas kind of shows that the shoulders dont move all that much anyways, so taking it in either direction could be cool.  Finally a bit of left right twist that starts in the shoulders and moves the chest would be much needed.

The runs still extremely poppy, but its heaps better than the previous iteration.  I say you could still probably bring those hands back a bit and add some rotation in the spine similar to what I suggested before, but the ferocity and the speed are definitely getting there.  Good work man!
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Some good stuff in here, Jesse. But also some not so good stuff. I'm going to try my best to crit it with this video, but if you`d like a more in depth critique, could you please upload your file to http://syncsketch.com/ and post the link? that way we can do draw overs and stuff.

The Walk

Lets start with the feet. The curves on them are off. This is causing the feet to appear to pause before take off. When that is put into game, or when you start moving the character forward in space, you`ll notice sliding during that pause. A good rule to follow is that when the foot is touching the ground, the translate z (forward and back motion) curve should be linear from point of contact to point of lift off. This includes toe rolls. So, if your foot is reaching the back of it's arc, and the heel is coming off the ground, the foot should still be moving back until the toe comes off. Even then, I tend to add a bit of follow through to mine, so it continues backwards for a couple frames (for the ease in/out before it starts moving forward).  Your front feet/hands are also pretty wobbly while on the ground. Do you have controls for the "fingers"? to add weight, it would be nice to see some finger compression while leaning on those front hands. if you dont have finger controls, you could achieve this by rolling the hand forward a bit, driving the wrist forward and down, if that makes sense. 

The shoulders seem to have the wrong weight applied to them. Generally what would happen in a walk like this is the shoulder would be weighed down when your hand first hits the ground, then the arm will try and support the whole body as he transfers his weight onto said arm. This will drive the shoulder up within the first 5 - 8 frames that the hand is on the ground. This action is where you`ll get a lot of the weight in your animation. The body moving down, while the shoulder goes up, trying to support all the weight. 

The same goes for your hip weight. The up down motion of your hips could be adjusted as well. your hips are almost at it's lowest point when the back feet hit the ground. You could get more weight out of it if you don't get to the lowest point several frames after the back feet touch down. I don't think you`re that far off right now. Might even be just a few frames. 

The head bounce. It's uneven and is very noticeable when looping over and over. When his right back leg is on the ground, and the body is moving up, the head kind of kicks up. It's not quite the nice head bob that I think you`re going for. This could be a case of too many keys, or they just arnet spread out evenly. Check out your curves and see if you can spot anything. The 2 "humps" in your curves, of the head rotating up, should look pretty similar. 

Your tail and your mouth/jaw movements are very nicely done. The tail has a moment where it looks like it hits a wall coming down, which happens when the hips start going up again. So you could add a bit of follow through on the tail, so that when the hips go up, the tail continues down just a bit. But besides that, ya, very nicely done! 

The Run

This is a lot harder to crit right now. I feel it suffers from too many keys in too short of a time. Your biggest problem with it, from what i can tell, is your curves are all off. They probably look very jagged. Slow it down a bit, and see if you can smooth out your curves. I've downloaded your video and when I frame by frame it, it looks like when he goes to push off his back feet, the frame when his right foot is no longer touching, his body pushes forward. the next frame,  his body moves up and backward, the next frame is forward and down. This sequence of events is causing a studder, for sure. So, the frame where his right back foot is no longer touching, move his body up a bit. then on the next frame, where his body moves backwards, just move that forward a bit so smooth it out. Really, just frame by frame that section and you``ll probably see what's wrong. Like I said, check your curves. The head also seems like it is unstable. when animals run, their heads tend to be very stable. So it could just be too many keys. But it's tough to tell. Give it an overall look. See what you can come up with.

Hopefully this helps. You`ve got some potential with these. And the rig looks fantastic (jealous! Would love to use it for personal anims). I did this crit at work, and someone walked by and commented on how cool it looked. They`ll definitely look nice on a reel at the end.
  • JesseMilesChainsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, thank you both! these will be be a ton of help.

I had no idea about SyncSketch, it looks awesome, here's a link!

slipsius said:
     I did this crit at work, and someone walked by and commented on how cool it looked. They`ll definitely look nice on a reel at the end.
    I just want to make sure everyone knows that Arkadius was responsible for the high coolness factor as far as the aesthetics go, he graciously lent me the model to rig for my portfolio. 

I'm going to go over all of this and come back asap, thanks again!

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I did a few draw overs on your syncsketch. Just to show a few things I talked about in my crit. the shoulder and wrist in the walk, and the body motion in the run

• JesseMilesChainsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, back again. The tail is giving me problems, so i'll be working on that now, but I wanted feedback on the rest..

EDIT: Updated both cycles, see below!

• JesseMilesChainsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, i did a lot to each cycle, would love some feedback! here it is on syncSketch...

BKM_walkRun3 from jesse miles snyder on Vimeo.

• thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    good progress!
  • Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    nice! left you some notes
  • JesseMilesChainsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, thank you! I'll check it out.
  • JesseMilesChainsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's another update, thanks for the help so far, everyone. Hope you're not sick of it yet!

Here it is on SyncSketch

BKM_walkRun4 from jesse miles snyder on Vimeo.

• heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good Jesse!   I'm thinking you could afford to push the secondary movement in the face on the Walk a bit more, to give it some great lumbering.

The run seems just a little slow, personally, kind of feels like a jog at the moment.  I think it could use a couple less frames to really give it a sense of urgency.  Also the spine could use just a touch of left/right movement.

Either way this is progressing super nicely!  Good work man!
  • JesseMilesChainsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the help everyone, I have yet another update for you, I think it's getting close. As usual, here's a sychSketch link.

BKM_walkRun_5 from jesse miles snyder on Vimeo.

• JesseMilesChainsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone! Back at it with ol' BKM and I was hoping for some help with the idle. I'm not sure if I should exaggerate things more or what, so anything you have for critique would be appreciated...

Here's a SynchSketch link

BKM_idle from jesse miles snyder on Vimeo.

• Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rmunday polycounter lvl 9
    Idles are a tough one I find, I mean how much can you do before the doing nothing becomes an actual action? I find adding some foot movement, a bit of weight shifting can help liven up an idle. If you are going for game use as well adding an Idle break also helps break them up. A small action such as looking around helps make breathing, doing nothing more interesting to look at.

Maybe in this case get some more movement on the large parts of the jaw have them twitch a bit, or do a small "Call" like predator a bit of a growl. It would add more life to the idle and push the character. Take what I say with a pinch of salt but an Idle doesn't always have to be just breathing. 
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    You can make this way better by offsetting your controls. 

Set all your controls to looping (infinity) curves.

Your chest moves first in a breath. So, let's use your chest control as the baseline. Start offsetting your controls by 2 frames for each control, moving outwards from the chest. So, if you have a neck control and a head control, shift your neck control over 2 frames. then your head control over 4 frames. Then, working down, your hips should be delayed 2 frames, then if your tail has 4 controls, start by shifting each control by 2 frames from where the hips were.. so the first control closest to the ass, 2 frames. second control is 4 frames. third control is 6 frames and forth control is 8 frames. 

If you have keys on your shoulders, they should also be 2 frames delayed. 

Doing this simple shift in your graph editor will make it much more realistic. While it's not the be all end all, this is definitely the fast way to improve what you already have.
  • JesseMilesChainsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rmunday said:
    Idles are a tough one I find, I mean how much can you do before the doing nothing becomes an actual action? I find adding some foot movement, a bit of weight shifting can help liven up an idle. If you are going for game use as well adding an Idle break also helps break them up. A small action such as looking around helps make breathing, doing nothing more interesting to look at.

Maybe in this case get some more movement on the large parts of the jaw have them twitch a bit, or do a small "Call" like predator a bit of a growl. It would add more life to the idle and push the character. Take what I say with a pinch of salt but an Idle doesn't always have to be just breathing. 
    I see what you're saying, i was going to some break cycles or whatever you'd call them once i got the basic breathing down. thanks!

slipsius said:
    You can make this way better by offsetting your controls. 

Set all your controls to looping (infinity) curves.

Your chest moves first in a breath. So, let's use your chest control as the baseline. Start offsetting your controls by 2 frames for each control, moving outwards from the chest. So, if you have a neck control and a head control, shift your neck control over 2 frames. then your head control over 4 frames. Then, working down, your hips should be delayed 2 frames, then if your tail has 4 controls, start by shifting each control by 2 frames from where the hips were.. so the first control closest to the ass, 2 frames. second control is 4 frames. third control is 6 frames and forth control is 8 frames. 

If you have keys on your shoulders, they should also be 2 frames delayed. 

Doing this simple shift in your graph editor will make it much more realistic. While it's not the be all end all, this is definitely the fast way to improve what you already have.
    thanks a lot! i see what you're saying with staggering everything, i didn't even consider that, right now everything happens at once. thanks again, i'll be back asap with an update.
  • JesseMilesChainsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, so I just re-did the whole thing. I'm going to use this as base and then make something more interesting some basic idle movement, like looking around, stretching, etc. here's the SyncSketch link...

BKM_idle2 from jesse miles snyder on Vimeo.

• JesseMilesChainsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, been a while, I'm still on that idle and I added a roar, any feedback is very appreciated!

BKM_roar_idle from jesse miles snyder on Vimeo.

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Great stuff! I like this. I think you have a bitt too much head movement on the base idle. It looks like he's out of breath which is kind of over done. You can tone it down. Then when it's roars, push that timing! He leans down to the ground, then stretches out to roar. So from the lowest point to when hes stretched out, take out like 3/4 of the frames. Really push that to change up the speed. If you speed up the initial stretch, while keeping the end of the roar slower, you`ll have some nice contrast and it will really help show the power behind it all.
  • JesseMilesChainsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius said:
    Great stuff! I like this. I think you have a bitt too much head movement on the base idle. It looks like he's out of breath which is kind of over done. You can tone it down. Then when it's roars, push that timing! He leans down to the ground, then stretches out to roar. So from the lowest point to when hes stretched out, take out like 3/4 of the frames. Really push that to change up the speed. If you speed up the initial stretch, while keeping the end of the roar slower, you`ll have some nice contrast and it will really help show the power behind it all.
    I see what you're saying, thanks for the feedback! I'll get on it.
  • JesseMilesChainsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, round 2!

BKM_roar_idle_2 from jesse miles snyder on Vimeo.

• EVernier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVernier polycounter lvl 8
    I haven't posted here yet but I've been reading up since the beginning, I love how you pushed your animation compared to the first clips you showed! The roar is looking good, but the creature's left arm seems too slow and linear when he moves it forward. It needs more weight. I think the tail coud be more snappy when he roars, but I wouldn't say it's a fault with the animation, just something to try to give it a little more ''hmmph''.
  • JesseMilesChainsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVernier said:
    I haven't posted here yet but I've been reading up since the beginning, I love how you pushed your animation compared to the first clips you showed! The roar is looking good, but the creature's left arm seems too slow and linear when he moves it forward. It needs more weight. I think the tail coud be more snappy when he roars, but I wouldn't say it's a fault with the animation, just something to try to give it a little more ''hmmph''.
    I'll be posting a new version soon, had to work on a different, less exciting project for a while, but stay tuned! I've made a lot of changes.
  • JesseMilesChainsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, it's been a long time, but I'm back at it and here's what I have for the roar/idle. any and all critique is very appreciated! 

BKM_roar_idle_3_small from jesse miles snyder on Vimeo.

• Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    Looks so good already , maybe try to speed the roar a bit to be more snappy and have more visual impact :) instead of a even motion ( just a suggestion) and see how it works :)

Good work!
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    Looks great, I would try to speed up the time it takes for it to plant its left hand when it comes back. Right now, it feels too slow. I mean, it could work but right now, I don't sense a reason for it. You could also speed up a tiny bit when it picks up its left hand and plants just before the roar.
  • JesseMilesChainsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you both! I had someone else mention more speed as well, so I will definitely do that. And yeah that hand has been a menace, i'll get on it!
  • chaselt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chaselt polycounter lvl 4
    Yo Jesse!

It's been awesome seeing your animation skills improve through this guy. I think the new idle is great. I agree with @AGoodFella. I think it would feel better if it went a bit faster into to roar but I also think if you held him out there after the roar for a bit before retreating it would feel even nicer.

Really like it doe
  • JesseMilesChainsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey Chas! thanks! yeah i think I have the hand fixed now and I'm currently working on speeding up the roar, etc., should have something new soon.
  • JesseMilesChainsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright, so i messed with that hand, sped up the roar a bit, added some tail action and other secondary stuff, and now i'm not sure what to do, maybe it's done? Let me know what you think!

bkm_idle_roar_v1 from jesse miles snyder on Vimeo.

• chaselt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking real good, dude. My only thing is I still think that it steps back after the roar too quickly. Other than that I think this is great. 
  • JesseMilesChainsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chaselt said:
    This is looking real good, dude. My only thing is I still think that it steps back after the roar too quickly. Other than that I think this is great. 
    thanks chas, is it the whole step in general? or is it just that front foot?
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking good! Nice vibration when it roars, very very cool!

This is just my opinion but I feel like he should lead with his front screen right hand more.

Like it leads, moves forward quickly, and plants quickly and then the big roar happens. So it comes forward, his body moves forward, maybe drop his head more like he's anticipating the roar and building up the energy and then as soon the front limb plants, 3 or 4 frames later, the big roar happens and his body finishes up its forward movement.

Then after the roar, his body moves back and then his front limb follows after. Right now, his front limb moves back quickly which is fine but it happens too soon, before everything else. Like its in a rush to get back, he's a big scary looking dude, so leave him out there a little, like the creature is still alert and ready for any danger, and then his limb moves back after the body. Makes sense?

Just my opinion, but its looking great!
  • JesseMilesChainsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That makes total sense, i see what you're saying. Something seemed off to me as well and that just might be it, thanks! stay tuned!
  • chaselt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes! haha @AGoodFella put it better than I could have. 
  • JesseMilesChainsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright, did some things with the timing a tweaked a few other things, thoughts?

bkm_idle_roar_v2_small from jesse miles snyder on Vimeo.

• AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! A lot better!