Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Problems baking normal map in substance

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Jorgex3D polycounter lvl 4
Hi all, i need some help, im baking the normals of my object with substance painter and designer and i have the same problem with both of the programs.

Is a simple object, and have simple UVs of a cube.

3D Max low poly and high poly object

Normals baked in substance.

Dont know why but substance ignore the "elements" of the high poly, all the details of high poly are in the same object as elements exported as obj.

All the help would be really apreciated.

Thank you all!

Replies

• stilobique
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stilobique polycounter lvl 12
    Your cage are too small ?
  • Jorgex3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your cage are too small ?
    Substance doenst use cage i think. Im looking on internet but still dont know why this happens.
  • jsargent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jsargent polycounter lvl 5
    there is a max front and back distance in the bake settings, just try increasing it a little bit that should fix it.  Other possibility is your normals are flipped on the handles in max, are they a darker colour when you select them?  I think its probably the first issue though.
  • CGXel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CGXel polycounter lvl 3
    Did you double check you're using the correct high poly mesh?, perhaps you could be using an old version of it, just maybe
  • Jorgex3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
     i just used xView and other things in max and my normals are ok, i make sure is my last high poly version and baked with default options (0,01 distance) and still same result.

I did a second back with 0,1 and 1 distance and still nothing.

Tried to bake with 2 high poly objects (the main mesh and the details) and still the same wtf is just a joke or what? i changed all the options and nothing.

PD: Just tried exporting as FBX instead of OBJ, still changing options, and used a cage that i created on max but still nothing. :sweat: 

The thing is i baked the normals and AO in xNormal and everything is ok, is just i want to test SP and SD to bake because it looks clean and fast, i just followed a tutorial with the same baking options and same version of SP but nope im still missing the details.

Thank you all for the replies.
  • stilobique
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stilobique polycounter lvl 12
    Can you share your model ? I want try with your .max .
  • Jorgex3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you share your model ? I want try with your .max .
    I fixed it today, just used a new version of substance painter and worked. 

Maybe my old version was corrupted or something.

Thanks for your replies ^^