Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

The Beast - Nature`s Executioner (VickGaza)

Replies

• DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Looks like a nice boss character for a water environment, hope to see it again sometime.
  • vickgaza
    Offline / Send Message
    vickgaza polycounter lvl 6
    Guys, I`ll be honest, I don`t think I`m gonna finish on time for the deadline lololol ... :anguished:   O.o  
    Almost done with highpoly though, E3 went away and my friends got married, so now I can focus on what truly matters ... finishing up this monster`s man boobies and getting on to texturing
    Can I still get a prize btw ? Like a participation prize for missing the deadline with 2 months ?  Like the ones dumb kids get ?
    Hey billy , you`ve lost, but at least you tried, here`s a cookie !

• vickgaza
    Offline / Send Message
    Omg so close I wonder if I can still make it for the deadline , omgomgomgomg 

• vickgaza
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more progress with the texture , man been so lazy this month, but at least I`ve learnt a lot with this project. 
    Hope I can still make it in time for the deadline :))) 

• samnwck
    Offline / Send Message
    samnwck polycounter lvl 9
    The head looks fantastic, though I feel the areas towards the back become a bit bland, nonetheless it does look absolutely fantastic. Been following this for a while and I can't wait to see it finished!

Is this just a single 4k mapset or do you have it split on several uv tiles?
  • vickgaza
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, don`t want to make him too complex, want the head to attract attention, the rest to be fairly subtle. I`m glad you like him though ! :proud:

He`s split into 4 UDIMs, I think this shot is 2k each, but since I made pretty much everything using procedural workflow and/or using high res timetables, I will export 4 x8k texture sets - for shits and giggles mostly. I could have gotten away with 2 UDIM`s I suppose but wanted to test out baking and texturing across lots of udims, arranged good and bad (visible cuts) just to see how far I can take professional work if it ever comes to it :D 

Will post more updates soon :)

Thanks again,
    Vick.
  • vickgaza
    Offline / Send Message
    SOOOO I`m done at last.

Having missed the deadline kind of gave me time to test and play with Sub Painter`s baking and UDIMs features which was great.
    After low poly was done, pretty much everything else was done in SP, baked perfectly in one go by playing with the Near/Far rays , then texturing was done mostly procedurally (minus a few masks I had to paint myself) .

Anyway this is what I came up with. I will post breakdowns soon.
    Rendered in Marmoset 3 thanks to @EarthQuake :D

I will post more renderes and breakdowns with wire/textures/etc soon.

• DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Looks awesome so glad to see this fleshed out, love the lighting/atmosphere also.
    Grats :smiley: