Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

The Portrait Beast

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
gillmeister74 polycounter lvl 7

My concept for the beast is that he was once a man who only found beauty in art. He was a respected man of fine rank and nobility to be sure, but he was only truly himself when he was creating art, or in the presence of an awe inspiring piece. And though he found an abundance of beauty in art, he only saw hideous rot, emptiness, and sorrow in his life and the world around him. Despite the man's own ability to make beautiful things come to fruition, the hatred and sorrow in his heart slowly transformed him into a horrible monster. In a fit of grief stricken rage, he destroyed many of his paintings and sculptures, and ran his head through the only portrait of himself he had ever made. He now wheres it as a mask, to hide his hideous visage. His only hope to turn back to normal is if he finds beauty in the world and in himself.

I'll have some concepts and ideas up soon

Replies

• gillmeister74
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

an initial really really rough doodle I did. I'll have a more refined concept up soon.
  • gillmeister74
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so, I wanna make sure I plan things out but at the same time I REALLY want to get right to the modeling. So I decided to ditch the wolf-man/animal aspects of the Portrait Beast in exchange for sort of an albino, rotting, maggot infested beast. The way I see it the contempt for the world the man held in his heart just slowly started killing him, and transforming him into something else. Overtime wounds and scars would appear and bugs and other creepy crawlies started appearing. All the while his once lovely face contorted and shifted into something terrible. Upon seeing himself  he went into a rage, but he is mentally still the same man he was. But just barely.

if he were to ever recover from this accursed affliction I'd imagine that the version of him from before the curse would just burst out of him like a cicada. Done with drawing, next up will be block out and sculpts.
  • armians
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    armians greentooth
    Hello! Don't know if it's just on my end, but the images You post don't seem to work ("Error (403) It seems you don't belong here!").
    You might want to ditch the dropbox for this and try uploading somewhere else?
  • gillmeister74
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay, Thank you so much for the heads up : )
  • gillmeister74
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been having trouble getting images to work, so hopefully it works this time! 

if it doesn't work here is a link to photobucket. Like I said before the concept is nothing crazy, but it's a jumping off point.
    http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/gillmeister74/beast_zpstr41mtvs.jpg

• gillmeister74
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

so I've tried posting an image with dropbox, flickr, and photobucket, and so far I haven't had much luck. If this doesn't go up, I'll figure it out later. Thanks for putting up with me guys!
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    You can just drag the file from your computer into the textbox on the forum and it'll embed the photo...!
    Otherwise, use imgur or imgbox.

Cheers
  • gillmeister74
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks BAGELHERO, I try that out this time around. Hopefully it works this time around. I started the sculpt from one of my base sculpts. In his final pose he'll be more curled into himself and be a bit gnarly, but for now I'm sculpting him standing up. I'll sculpt the scars and open sores for the bugs and stuff after I've established all the forms.

and hopefully my garbage concept uploaded this time. I have made accounts for all the image sharing sites I'm aware of. I don't have this much trouble with my sketchbook. 

hoping to strike some combination of a  monster from Bloodborne, Castlevania LOS, and Lisa Trevor from RE1
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Working fine now. I'm sure some of the issue is just the amount of traffic that runs through the contest threads, a lot of services crapped out on me when i was doing Petrol/Blood too haha.

This is looking interesting! Curious as to where you'll take the sculpt.
  • gillmeister74
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Bagel haha. Here's some quick progress on the sculpt. Starting to get a feel for things. Parts of his skin have loosened and tightened under the duress of the curse. The breaking and expanding of bones lead to the tearing of muscles, tissue, and skin. Certain patches of skin become home to a manner of horrid insects that are born within the portraits beasts hollow body. While sorrow poisons his heart, the insects and maggots eat away at the man.

next update should have the base body pretty much knocked out. Then I will start the painting, frame, and his outfit.
  • gillmeister74
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

update on Portrait beast! blocked out some more of his outfit and continued sprucing up his anatomy. Also added two new elements; giant ticks and marble shards. The marble shards are remnants of sculptures and busts that were once a part of his art collection before he utterly destroyed them. As a result fragments are embedded in his arms and feet. The giant ticks are but one of the insect creatures that are slowly eating away at the portrait beast. They also act as a means to break up the silhouette a bit, and add asymmetry. 
  • gillmeister74
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick update. The body is shaping up well so far. I feel that I should be finishing up with it soon, and from there I can start moving forward with the base body. The face still needs a bit more attention, and I'd love to add some blemishes and extras scars and stuff on the skin to break things up a bit more.

I've also been working a lot on the portrait frame and the right coat. Mostly detailing for the frame, but for the coat I changed the pattern to coincide with some reference images I've put together.

Still feeling good about where I'm at, though I know there is still lots to do. Once I've knocked out the base body and his wardrobe, I can really get into some of the bugs and stuff.
  • DigitalNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DigitalNinja polycounter lvl 4
    Hi gillmeister74,

loving the sculpt from concept upto now and looking forward to seeing more!

Ian S.
  • Magihat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    Really liking the progress on this one, great job gill!