Home Featured Artwork

[UE4] Rooftop Offices - mini-environment for a gumroad tutorial

Replies

• R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Great job buddy! Really looking forward to your breakdown :)
  • The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    That is one snazzy site, topics covered sound great as well. Can't wait, subbed
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks everyone for the nice comments :)

Great news! I'm releasing a playable demo of the level today for free. Now you can run around it and see things up close. Everything you see here (minus some minor blueprint work to get it running and some sounds) has been recorded and will be available soon on a big tutorial on gumroad and cubebrush!

>> DOWNLOAD PLAYABLE DEMO <<

I'll see if I can get a first person VR version of this up soon :)
  • samifira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samifira polycounter lvl 10
    Excited to take a look at this in real time! Awesome scene! Congrats on finishing it!
  • 8th_Scepter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8th_Scepter polycounter lvl 6
    How are you making your normal maps? 
  • Praglik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Praglik polycounter lvl 9
    Are you planning on releasing those assets on the marketplace? I say that, mainly 'cause I'd totally buy it you know...

It looks great!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Beautiful work as always Thiago! I really can not wait for your gum road tutorial, really excited to learn how you go about establishing your environments / overall thought process etc.

You are on the top of my "dream artists I'd love to work with" list and you just keep on getting more and more badass, you scary-good Thiago :P
  • bobmartien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bobmartien polycounter lvl 11
    Great stuff ! This looks amazing. Glued.

I'm looking forward for this tutorial.

• skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    I Could not find any info or price ? How much are we talking here 
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    I Could not find any info or price ? How much are we talking here 

Minos said:
    @hersheybarStill haven't decided on the pricing but don't worry, it will something very affordable!

• Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    samifira said:
    Excited to take a look at this in real time! Awesome scene! Congrats on finishing it!

8th_Scepter said: How are you making your normal maps? 

Hey 8th_Scepter! I'm using NDO for all of them, they are pretty simple really, just a bunch of simple bevels and lines.

Praglik said: Are you planning on releasing those assets on the marketplace? I say that, mainly 'cause I'd totally buy it you know...

It looks great!
     That's something I've been thinking of yeah. Just need to expand the set a bit and it should be a good value :)

JasonLavoie said: Beautiful work as always Thiago! I really can not wait for your gum road tutorial, really excited to learn how you go about establishing your environments / overall thought process etc.

You are on the top of my "dream artists I'd love to work with" list and you just keep on getting more and more badass, you scary-good Thiago :P
     Thanks for the nice words man :) Likewise about working together, I've been watching your progression over the years and it's really really inspiring to see how good you got and how many different styles you can tackle! Keep on kicking ass!

bobmartien said: Great stuff ! This looks amazing. Glued.

I'm looking forward for this tutorial.

Thx :dizzy: 

skyline5gtr said: I Could not find any info or price ? How much are we talking here 
     Still haven't decided on the price but it won't be anything extravagant. I'll offer a nice 20% discount for people who sign up on www.unreal4environments.com. I'm hoping to have more news about this towards the end of the week!

edit: omg the forum went full retard with my quotes. Still readable with some effort haha
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Can't wait to get my hands on this one when available. Thanks
  • 3DKyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKyle interpolator
    Great work Thiago! Really like how the carpet looks in the newer images. Looking forward to getting this once available. 
  • xMFZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xMFZ polycounter lvl 4
    I'm pumped for this release! I had a run around in the demo the other day, and I'm excited to see what your workflow looks like. Good work dude!
  • AntonioNeves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AntonioNeves polycounter
    This is really impressive, it's not my style of art but, its very beautiful and clean.
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    This is so clean! Really digging the look. Saw this one thing in one of the earlier screenshots:

For some reason the amount of polys on that plant (bottom left corner) is really bugging me. Any chance/idea if that got fixed? I'm sure you can make do with a couple more polies to curve that baby out. Although if you had a threshold on your scene, I'll understand :D
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    I downloaded this and played through it. It looks great! I'm super interested for when the tutorial comes out.

Minor issue I noticed though - the planters out on the rooftop area don't have dirt in them lol

Great job, looking forward to seeing how these assets were made!
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Higuy said:
    I downloaded this and played through it. It looks great! I'm super interested for when the tutorial comes out.

Minor issue I noticed though - the planters out on the rooftop area don't have dirt in them lol

Great job, looking forward to seeing how these assets were made!
    Thanks :) Yeah I cut some corners here and there, remember that the environment was made for the tutorial :) 

@G3L: You are right. I'll update the plants later this week when I update the build with VR support :) Thanks!

@Antonioneves: Thanks man!

@XMFZ: Thanks!!

@3DKYLE: Thanks :dizzy: 

@Peanut: Thanks! I'm gonna "crunch" on this over the weekend, hopefully I can get it done soon!

• hmm_rock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm_rock polycounter lvl 10
    Lovely work and amazing presentation! I hope theres some info in there about the vista  because it looks great ;)
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    hmm_rock said:
    Lovely work and amazing presentation! I hope theres some info in there about the vista  because it looks great ;)
    Thanks :) I didn't put up any screenshots of the vista because I just didn't have time to work on it as much as I would like. But everything you see in the map was recorded and will be included in the tutorial (except some minor blueprint work that I did afterwards for the demo)
  • brandv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandv3d polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome environment artwork. I checked out the full size and noticed you have sim city 2000 on the screen. That's a cool Easter egg. Can't wait till this tutorial is out. Please let me know when it's released. Keep up great work and It's always a joy to see your artwork.
  • ZombieDawgs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieDawgs polycounter
  • hersheybar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hersheybar polycounter lvl 2
    Any updates?
    I was wondering this, can't wait to buy this :)
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    If all goes well I'll release it tonight, if something happens it will be out tomorrow :) 

The reason it took me a while was that I did a survey and several people asked for narration. So last week i went back to every video and added commentary to key parts.

Then I started rendering the videos on saturday, and well, something that i expected to take a few hours took two full days. Camtasia batch exporter is a piece of crap and crashes after a few hours so I had to bake in small batches. In the end i have 24 videos and over 27h of content.

Ah... then the uploads. Tell me about them. I started sunday afternoon and by last night they were still at 40%. I called my ISP and upgraded to the best plan they have and the uploads finished overnight :)

So now that i have everything uploaded, just need to finish some random things to get it out. But I still have a really busy week at work, so no promises.

Anyways, the end is near. This tutorial is taking 3 times the amount of work i thought it would take, but I think it will be worthy it if its useful to the community :)
  • hersheybar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos said:
    If all goes well I'll release it tonight, if something happens it will be out tomorrow :) 

The reason it took me a while was that I did a survey and several people asked for narration. So last week i went back to every video and added commentary to key parts.

Then I started rendering the videos on saturday, and well, something that i expected to take a few hours took two full days. Camtasia batch exporter is a piece of crap and crashes after a few hours so I had to bake in small batches. In the end i have 24 videos and over 27h of content.

Ah... then the uploads. Tell me about them. I started sunday afternoon and by last night they were still at 40%. I called my ISP and upgraded to the best plan they have and the uploads finished overnight :)

So now that i have everything uploaded, just need to finish some random things to get it out. But I still have a really busy week at work, so no promises.

Anyways, the end is near. This tutorial is taking 3 times the amount of work i thought it would take, but I think it will be worthy it if its useful to the community :)
    I can't wait! I also saw you have been working on overwatch and I love the art style that overwatch has. Can't wait to see the workflow :) 
  • samifira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samifira polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, thanks for all the work you're putting into this! It certainly looks like it will be worth the effort!
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Hey everyone!

Great news, I just released the tutorial and the modular kit :) And even better news: it's $15 off until March 13! Get it while it's hot :P

You can get them either on Cubebrush or Gumroad.

Thanks a lot for all the feedback and encouragement along the way!

If you try the tutorial let me know what you think!

Thiago
  • Sajeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sajeet polycounter lvl 7
    Wow great job. :) *walks off to spend some money*
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    It turned out amazing, and If I ever get in to environment art. I will definitely pick up this tutorial as it seems to be top notch stuff! 
  • Polycruncher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polycruncher polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for releasing this nice tutorial! Could you please release your Photoshop actions for people who bought your tutorial. I think this macros are quite important to follow along your texturing workflow. I dont know, how you did that and what exactly happend in that actions. That will be great, thanks!  
  • Polycruncher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polycruncher polycounter lvl 4
    problem already solved :smile: 
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great, little out of my price range now hope it comes down eventually
  • xMFZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xMFZ polycounter lvl 4
    Sweet! Glad to see it's out. Grabbed it first thing this morning!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    $60 is a bit much without having a feel of what the tutorials will be like, could you put like the first 20 minutes on Youtube or something to give potential buyers a taste? 
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    ZacD said:
    $60 is a bit much without having a feel of what the tutorials will be like, could you put like the first 20 minutes on Youtube or something to give potential buyers a taste? 
    You can get a free sample with 3 episodes (out of 23) on the gumroad page :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Awesome, I can't believe I missed that, thanks :)
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So after 15 dollars off till march 13th its still 60 bucks? So this actually costs 75 ? Also there does not seem to be an area to put the discount code in I got from email ? Gumroad says it should appear under login stuff

https://help.gumroad.com/11169-Creator-FAQ/how-do-i-create-an-offer-code
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    So after 15 dollars off till march 13th its still 60 bucks? So this actually costs 75 ? Also there does not seem to be an area to put the discount code in I got from email ? Gumroad says it should appear under login stuff

https://help.gumroad.com/11169-Creator-FAQ/how-do-i-create-an-offer-code
    Sorry I screwed up in the original email :pensive:

Since Polycount was very supportive throughout this I'll extend a discount to you guys too! Use this link to get another $15 off:
    gum.co/WSRTQ/coolsubscriberdiscount

The price might be higher than other similar tutorials but I think that the content is also higher quality. Making this took up a lot of my free time and sanity, for example, just rendering the videos and uploading took 4 full days.

The amount of time-saving techniques and workflow tips I go over are totally worth the price point imo though. If you follow this tutorial closely I'm sure you will get a lot of benefits, and with the knowledge acquired here you'll totally get this investment back in no time :P You can also stream this anytime, so let's say in a year or so you want to refresh something you can easily go back and watch it anywhere.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where do I put in the coupon code ? I log in, says 44 dollars but does not have an area to put the coupon code Or am i retarded
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    $44 is the discounted price. $59 is the normal price. 
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD said:
    $44 is the discounted price. $59 is the normal price. 
     The tutorial is currently $15 off until March 13, so with your coupon that's a $30 dollars savings! - Was the email I got . 
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    I just bought myself a copy! I'm very accustomed to the workflow and consider myself an advanced user and I've already learned alot! =)
    I've only looked through the first chapters and gone through the extras. The extras has been a goldmine for me so far to speed up my workflow!
    Great job!
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Where do I put in the coupon code ? I log in, says 44 dollars but does not have an area to put the coupon code Or am i retarded

Yup, I don't see anywhere to enter a code on the gumroad page. From what I see online it needs to be enabled in the settings.

In the meantime I can skim thought the 4.5 hours of sample content :)

• Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    m4dcow said:

Yup, I don't see anywhere to enter a code on the gumroad page. From what I see online it needs to be enabled in the settings.

In the meantime I can skim thought the 4.5 hours of sample content :)

Use this link instead  and it should work :)
    https://gumroad.com/l/WSRTQ/coolsubscriberdiscount

• StevenTB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StevenTB polycounter lvl 7
    I feel like an idiot, but I can't find the sample videos. To make things even worse, the only reason I am looking for the samples, is because I can't get GumRoad to sell me the series. I have bought content from GR before, so I don't know what their problem is.

EDIT : I figured it out. The price field is filed in by default, but will not work. Clicking the field(and or backspacing) doesn't clear it so it doesn't seem like you are achieving anything either. You have to select the field and TYPE over the base price to be able to purchase it.
  • hersheybar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only watched the first video and I am amazed by how much I've already learnt! Worth the money, can't wait to see more :) 
  • StevenTB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StevenTB polycounter lvl 7
    Only watched the first video and I am amazed by how much I've already learnt! Worth the money, can't wait to see more :) 
    I have to agree. The content I have seen so far is high quality. Really pleased with my purchase.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Glad you guys are enjoying the content :) Can't wait to see projects popping up inspired by this! Also, feel free to use this thread if you have any questions.

I have some great news. As the discount system was too confusing, I decided to change the price altogether to $44. I contacted everyone who paid full price and corrected things with them so everyone will benefit from this.

First time selling things online, I'm an artist and not a salesman, so it was really hard to come up with a price, especially when there are no comparable products available.

Anyways, the response to this has been great and I'm really humbled by all the nice comments. it's really exciting to make it more accessible to even more people :)
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stick to your day job buddy :smile: 
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    For people having problems getting Expresso to work on Photoshop CC 2015 1.1, apparently it just won't work on it. But if you revert to 1.0 it should work fine.
    http://polycount.com/discussion/137932/expresso-texturing-tools-photoshop-plugin/p2