Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Chelsea

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hey everyone!

Welcome to my sketchbook. This is a place for me to log what work I've been doing (and stop slackin'!), to learn new things, and have fun making cool stuff :smiley:  All comments and crits are welcome.

Replies

• Chelsea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So this week I decided to make the plunge into Zbrush. I've goofed around in Sculptris before, but I've always been spooked by Zbrush's intimidating controls/UI and initial learning curve.  But not this time!

I've started out with this sculpt of one of the door knockers from Labyrinth (I'll do both eventually!)

I'm not quite sure how it's going yet - it seems decent enough, but I'm a bit stuck on how to fix some nasty bits;

• My curves are so wobbly. Almost as if I have made this with real clay and pressed too hard in some places. I haven't really figured out what the proper way to do a neat swirl would be.
    • The pinchy bits where I've made Slash/DamStandard creases and the sides have tugged. Again, not sure how to resolve that yet. 

Anyone Zbrush savvy got any advice? ._.;
  • Chelsea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again all!

So I think I figured out my problem (or at least, part of it) - I hadn't really been using Dynamesh and Zremesher correctly, so my topology was nasty.

Now, I'm still not going to go as far as to say that I've done it right yet per se... but this is as much as I've figured out. Its an improvement at least!

It's coming along :smile: 
    I'm still finding Zbrush a bit tricky...particularly when I'm wanting to be accurate like with straight edges? Everything is still pretty eyeballed and messy really.
    Will hopefully clean a lot of it up in the Retopo (which I might do in Max and learn to do in Zbrush later).
  • Chelsea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woops, I forgot to post this >.<'
    Textured using Substance Painter. 

Going to call this done for now I think.  It's so-so. I sort of like it, but I can't help but look at it and see its not perfect, and the further I got into the project the more I understood where I'd made it wrong. 

The jowls/mouth was really difficult to unwrap neatly; I think I could have done with either more or less topology rather than the sharp middle ground I went with. I think a lot of my beefs with it come from judging it too hard from up close - this asset would probably look fairly appropriate and interesting if it were only small scale on a door. 

If I return to this theme, I might extend the project to a larger diorama of the door in situ. We'll see. For now, I need to reassess what my portfolio is lacking and address that.
  • Chelsea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edit: Woops, tried to post my sketchfab viewer in this but it bugged out. Now i cant delete this post x)

• Kamul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamul polycounter lvl 4
    Wow your first trip into zbrush really turned out great, but as you said , there are rooms for improvement (there aways are).

Now I'm interested to see on what  you are going to work next with what you've lerned 
    Good luck and keep up the good work !