Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Student at Uni learning Game Art - love me some critiques

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
With the first semester over for me, I have some semester stuff and some other portfolio stuff here. I also have a blog to record progress for uni. I would love some critique on the art! 
My forte is mostly in Character Design.

Edit: I quadra-posted. Could any of you deal with this, please? Thanks!

Concept Art Module Brief
Pick a movie/book and make characters that can be based in that world. It's then modelled in ZBrush. I picked Log Horizon.

Maya Module
Some people from Ghosttown Games came over and we should make a character for their game Overcooked. It's then modelled in Maya.

Portfolio stuff

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I deleted the duplicates. Next time you have any trouble with the forum, please re-read the Information About Polycount thread in General Discussion.

Why is your reel in PDF format? That's a format mostly used for printing documents. I'm hesitant to open it because it's an unusual format, looks like spam.

A reel usually means an animated video. Vimeo and Youtube are much better ways to share reels.
  • SW99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you!

Oh I see. When doing uni stuff we were told to export stuff in PDF. I'll update the main post with pics!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, that's a weird request from your instructor. We hear things like this a lot unfortunately. Schools often teach odd or outdated portfolio presentation techniques, which ultimately end up hurting students' chances in the job market.

We have some good info in the wiki if you're interested. http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Portfolio
  • SW99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I'll go check it out!
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Hello. Congratulations on making all this, it's a nice set.

When looking at your work I feel like suggesting you the same thing I keep suggesting to myself, which is to make an effort to clean up edges (unless there's a specific reason they are wobbly, like describing form).
    It's nitpicking, but I think it looks better.

• SW99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN said:
    Hello. Congratulations on making all this, it's a nice set.

When looking at your work I feel like suggesting you the same thing I keep suggesting to myself, which is to make an effort to clean up edges (unless there's a specific reason they are wobbly, like describing form).
    It's nitpicking, but I think it looks better.

Haha, you're right! It's always the finishing touches I'm stumped about. Like I KNOW that I have to polish it somehow but it doesn't become obvious until someone points it out. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll jot it down!
  • SW99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A few recent drawings. I'm learning how to sketch with a fineliner. Also learning how to draw people of different ages and face shapes. It's pretty difficult! I don't have immediate access to a scanner so I hope the photos are good quality!