Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Coach in 3D, wondering if it's good enough to be in industry

BunnyZ
null
Offline / Send Message
BunnyZ null
I've studied 3D game art for 8 month, after graduation I made this coach in a month, I used 3DS Max to model and Unreal Engine 4 to render. Afterwards I just didn't do any 3D work again.

Now I'm thinking of doing it again. But I don't know if my talent is enough to be in this industry. If a month for a coach and it's not good enough, then maybe this industry is not right for me, please give me some good insight. Thanks

Replies

• pigart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    Sad to say this but it's not good enough to get into the industry yet. Plus, making something like that shouldn't take you more than a couple of days at most.

The games industry is very competetive and studying it for 8 months casually on and off is basically nothing.
  • BunnyZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BunnyZ null
    Aww, thanks for letting me know. What's the best way to improve? I tried to do more before, but no matter what I make always seem not complete once I used Zbrush. I want to go to Montreal, it seem the best job there is game studio. I want to be serious about improving! Or should I just do 2D and be a concept artist?
  • LaurenBamlett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurenBamlett polycounter lvl 8
    Not yet but you can get there! It just takes time, effort and hard work. Concept Artist jobs are going to be a much harder endeavour. If you want to get into  the game industry, continue pursuing Environment Art as I assume you're doing here. In terms of education,  I would look into both Eat3D and 3DMotiv in order to further yourself technically and artistically.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    BunnyZ said:
    Aww, thanks for letting me know. What's the best way to improve? I tried to do more before, but no matter what I make always seem not complete once I used Zbrush. I want to go to Montreal, it seem the best job there is game studio. I want to be serious about improving! Or should I just do 2D and be a concept artist?
    The best way to improve is to do a lot of art. Just keep making things. Keep the projects small enough to be completed in a short enough amount of time that you can stay motivated on it. 
    Make things, post for feedback, make more, etc. There's no substitute for practice.

You've done a decent job with all the shapes of the couch, but the shading in many areas looks incorrect. Perhaps like a bad bake or some similar issue.  The lighting and materials are also quite flat and harsh so it doesn't read like wood and fabric, but just looks like default cg materials.

Modeling speed will come with time. Some of that is just learning the right technique for the job and when to let smaller things go so the big things get done.

Definitely check out some tutorials and the sites that Laurenbam mentions, and just keep modeling.
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DweenieTodd polycounter lvl 3
    Yeah the key word people here have used is "Not Yet." I'm a recent University Graduate and have yet to make my break through. I just keep my projects small, and keep improving. 

In terms of your couch, i believe the industry (people correct me if i'm wrong) but you're probably given a maximum of 2 days to model & texture and asset (with anything inbetween such as hard surface modelling, baking etc.) Too improve, i'd suggest using Digital Tutors, 3DMotive and such, it's helped me drastically! 

Good luck, from one aspiring 3D Artist to another ;)
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I take it you mean 'couch' and not 'coach'.

Quality is subjective, depends on the nature of the project you're working on. Though you mention Montreal, so I assume you want to work in AAA game studios. In which case, the quality isn't there yet. And like others have said, I doubt you would get a whole month for it... even for indie or mobile games, a few days at most.

Polycount also has a few 3D Challenges running. The environment challenge is what you should join up (if they find a new organizer to run it.)

• Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    The assets decent, but more for a couple of days versus a month like the others have said if it were a production environment. The dark shadows/AO? are also detracting from the piece, getting a skylight if that's UE4 or doing a global illumination bake would help with that depending on the engine you're in. Time comes with practice though so don't fret at all and just keep going with it.

Texture wise I would work on adding in more definition to the materials. You have to really nail the asset if you're going with pure white to sell the piece since white in itself is very nuanced. It can probably look better if you mess with adding in a little bit of tarnish in it to make it a little more worn looking. There's also various shades of white and subtle color differences you can play with too. The glossy smooth reflection on the fabric in the first picture looks off, if its a cloth-like fabric it wouldn't be that glossy looking. I'd also play around with adding things like smears, scratches, fog (like when you run an oily hand on metal or breath on it and smudge it with your finger/arm) etc into the roughness of the metal. It's those types of subtle details in the roughness that tend to really sell metal in PBR.

As a direct answer I'd say AAA studio probably not yet, but you might try looking into ad agencies, architecture rendering companies, simulator companies, etc. while you work on your skills! You also can learn a lot at one of the said types of careers, IE working with architects lets you learn a shit load of how things are actually built which you can carry forth into your modeling. There's also indie studios, mobile, and smaller companies too that can help you move up the food chain as you get better.

Just my two cents anyways so take with it from what you will :)

ALSO I honestly don't think there's nothing that would prevent you from entering the industry if you keep at modeling, texturing, and improving your skills. No one produces things quickly and to a high quality when they first start out. Like anyother skill it just takes time, practice, and a love for getting better at it and enjoying making things. As a caveat, it is a creative profession that's constantly evolving and has techniques that change a bit from time to time (and engine to engine), so you'll always be doing some learning as you continue on in the field.

• BunnyZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BunnyZ null
    Thanks guys! This is very motivating, after talking to you I've been adjusting my self to work harder. 

Right now I'm planning to make a car with 3ds Max (because the texture of the coach is really hard to make), but when I tried to use planes for placing my reference it didn't work, I went to Object properties and unchecked the turn to grey when freeze option like other posts suggested, but the plane is still grey, does any body knows how to set up reference?
  • Melazee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Melazee polycounter lvl 11
    You'll also find that you speed up when you're doing this stuff as a job in the industry. At work, I have 2-3 days for a character. At home? Goodness me, I take forever!