Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Color ID using Xnormal?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
I've been trying for the past few hours to get a clean color ID out of Xnormal. This tutorial on the quixel site mentions using Vertex color bakes for the color ID, and I've been trying to get that to work. However, this "tutorial" goes into exactly no detail about how to do that.

The main problem I'm having is that while my vertex painting looks fine in 3DS Max, and I can export it to the SBM format and bake it in Xnormal, the result has all of these blending errors where it tries to interpolate the colors between vertices.

Has anyone figured out how to do this? I'm pulling my hair out here.

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I can't offer any assistance on how to work with xNormal for color ID maps, but I can say that creating a multi-material with about 10 different colors (or more, if needed) set to 100% self-illumination and rendered to texture will create a quick color ID map in Max. :smile:
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
    I can't offer any assistance on how to work with xNormal for color ID maps, but I can say that creating a multi-material with about 10 different colors (or more, if needed) set to 100% self-illumination and rendered to texture will create a quick color ID map in Max. :smile:
    The problem there is that I have color separations that rely on geometry in my high poly. ie I couldn't use my low poly to separate out all the materials that I need. That is, if I'm understanding you right. I haven't used Max for long, and have never worked with multi-materials or render to texture within it.
  • Justinnd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justinnd polycounter lvl 8
    Maya is a bit different. If you are using vertex color painting, set up your colors, explode the mesh like you are doing a normal bake, then export using .fbx to xnormal. The cage, or ray distance cant cross each other or you will get errors / colors in areas you dont intend. 
  • Avis Para.doc's
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avis Para.doc's polycounter lvl 9
    Try to set padding to 0 when baking, detach polys with different VC to separate elements or just split them there. And use more dense topology.