Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

My First Hand Painted Texture - Please Critisize

Hello Everyone

Here is my first texture of a hand painted dirt wall. im creating a anime/cartoon game in my free time for a hobby and im looking at improving my texturing. 
any feedback is truly welcome 

regards
Slowie

Replies

• RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Hello Slowie.
    Did you use any reference? It's important to always use reference -- no one knows everything.
    You can use anything you want to find reference images, like  some traveler\hiking blogs that have decent photos of nature stuff, up to stock image and free texture websites, like this:

From http://www.texturemate.com/content/free-texture-rock-2010100117

To use reference images you observe them to understand the kind of values, textures, colours etc. that exist in the subject that you're trying to paint.
    Then you reproduce them in painting. You can control them to look like what you want.

I think it's lacking a lot of contrast. It will look more interesting if you add darker tones, especially in the cracks and dents.
    Besides plain observation, you can tell how much of the full value range you're using in your painting by checking a "value histogram" for the image. 
    Photoshop (with Window->Histogram), GIMP (with Colors->Info->Histogram), Krita and other software have such a tool.
    The GIMP histogram for your image looks like this:

The black graphic represents the values in your image.  The gradient below it represents the full range of values it can have.
    This gives you clues that are difficult to get when just looking at the image. You're not using the full value range enough, just 2/5ths of it.

Also, there's recent thread about hand-painted textures over at General Discussion, you should read that:
    http://polycount.com/discussion/161423/hand-painted-textures

TL,DR: Follow reference images and add more contrast.
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    It kind of looks like a base for a wood texture. You need to introduce bevels to it. The edge scratches look too uniform and the cracks look too smooth and same size. Try to roughen em up. Paint in highlights on one side of the edge, and darker on the other side of the edge.