Home General Discussion

Hand Painted Textures

Sahar6262
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Sahar6262 polycounter lvl 7
Hi  everyone I'm trying to get into hand painted textures...
if anyone can help me how to get into this area it will be great! everything help tutorials guides and tips....
thank you very much

Replies

• RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Thank you for that video, I was looking for something like that.

There's an article from 2008 by CGSociety on texturing:
    http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/the_top_ten_tips_of_texturing
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    To me handpainted textures aren't much different than just regular painting. If you're good at painting you'll be good at handpainted textures. So i'd just recommend taking some basic digital painting training like ctrl+paint

From there a program like Photoshop (good 3D painting but buggy), Mudbox(functionally better but buggy), Blender (Takes a lot of time to set up to be ideal) or 3D coat (according to people here tops but expensive). I personally use a combination of mudbox and photoshop, or blender and photoshop.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    iadagraca said:
    To me handpainted textures aren't much different than just regular painting. If you're good at painting you'll be good at handpainted textures. So i'd just recommend taking some basic digital painting training like ctrl+paint

From there a program like Photoshop (good 3D painting but buggy), Mudbox(functionally better but buggy), Blender (Takes a lot of time to set up to be ideal) or 3D coat (according to people here tops but expensive). I personally use a combination of mudbox and photoshop, or blender and photoshop.
    I'd agree with this. Texturing used to be my weakest point, but once I took some time to learn painting in general (basically did a bunch of portraits over a few months), and got more confident at using the brush/photoshop, I used those same skills (observation mainly) and applied them to hand painted textures. It's definitely worth focusing on painting in general instead of specifically textures, I think.

also, 3d coat is on steam for 99 dollars and is really good for projection painting over your 3d model. Photoshop can totally do this now too but it's kind of janky and there's no layer support as far as I've seen. Mudbox I've heard great things about. Good luck!
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    bounchfx said:

also, 3d coat is on steam for 99 dollars and is really good for projection painting over your 3d model. Photoshop can totally do this now too but it's kind of janky and there's no layer support as far as I've seen. Mudbox I've heard great things about. Good luck!
    That's for the educational version though, fine for learning but i really need to for my work :/
    Also photoshop does support layers as usual, it handles textures off of PSD files, it's just kind of complicated to use. I had an issue where the 2D and 3D painting desync resulting me in having to reboot photoshop to make it work again. It's usually a result of undoing too much. If it wasn't for that issue and maybe the performance issues i'd love it. 

Mudbox is a lot better but i have an issue where minimizing mudbox would suddenly cause it to stop painting and I'd have to reload. It also REALLY hates blender files that use the mirror modifier, I'd get endless crashing because of that and if it did load it would load broken. 

• MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    I found this artist's YouTube channel that has some great info on how you can paint in Blender. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7ALfRw6I5I
    Personally I mostly still use PS but have been looking for better ways to use Blender or 3DCoat in my work. One thing I've managed to do is hand-paint textures without a tablet, so at least there's that. :p

• JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    You're painting with your mouse? How do you go about that?
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @MMKH I found that too!
    ..by googling 'handpainted textures tutorial', As the OP should have done.

If he did, he would've also found a link to an article on the Polycount Wiki full of fantastic information.

Polycount is not your Google, @Sahar6262.

• MMKH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    You're painting with your mouse? How do you go about that?
    I use hotkeys to zoom in and out and to adjust brush size. I adjust the flow settings of the brush to simulate the pressure from a stylus. I think I will make a video process on how I do it sometime in the future. Personally I find it easier than using a tablet and it is quicker because I don't have to go between tools or require as much desk space. Granted, it can be challenging to make certain brush strokes turn out the way you want and maybe even unintuitive for most people. I just adapted to this because I have probably spent more hours with a keyboard and mouse than a pen and paper by now. :p
  • pigart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    MMKH said:
    Personally I find it easier than using a tablet and it is quicker because I don't have to go between tools or require as much desk space.

I just adapted to this because I have probably spent more hours with a keyboard and mouse than a pen and paper by now. :p

• Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8

That's so weird O-o Doesn't make it time consuming to manually change the opacity and size instead of just having pressure ?

anyway what Idagrace say is the only thing you need to learn, it's useless to follow tutorial and step by step, you need to learn your basic painting skillsuch as color and light, and study material.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started out using the mouse, as I think many polycounters back then did, and I can understand that adjusting to a tablet isn't an immediate thing, but: you're limiting yourself so much! I find it extremely hard to believe you're as fast as someone with a tablet this way, but I'd be interested to be proven wrong.
  • arcanema
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arcanema polycounter lvl 2

The Texture Workshop with Jamin Shoulet on YouTube helped me alot. He made textures for WoW:BC etc...

You just need some time ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_GWVez_UHM

(there are 2 Parts)

Hope that helps :)

Greetings from Germany