Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Walther PPK - First Weapon

Carlbot
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Carlbot polycounter lvl 5
Hello guys, 

After recently watching Spectre, I have been inspired to model the Walther PPK. 

Below you will see the WIP in progress shots, please ignore the large seam running down the middle that is purely because it is mirrored - you guys probably are aware of this anyway. There are some floaters as it is just easier and I am going to add the smaller details such as the grip texture and words with NDo. I have noticed that some details aren't perfect, the number of ridges on the hammer and safety lever for example - I may fix these but I don't think they will detract too much from the overall look.

I will add the magazine later on tonight. Expect to see that another day however.

Please provide any C+C!

Replies

• RedRogueXIII
    Offline / Send Message
    RedRogueXIII polycounter lvl 16
    That normal map mirrored seam can be hidden, as long as you don't smooth any polygons across the axis. Having Edge normal /smoothing splits along the same edges that are UV seams and you can usually avoid most smoothing error problems.

Some proportions/ accuracy issues;

The rear has a spherical curve to it, if there is a geometry snapping or projection feature, I suggest using temporary spherical shapes to get the right silhouette, then drawing in the detail - like retopoligizing. Either the slide is too fat or the frame is too thin.
    Check out the rest of the references here.

It could be a great model, but it looks like you were modeling only using side refs and not checking any front/back, top/bottom refs. Put some more attention into other angles and you can do some really great stuff!
  • Carlbot
    Offline / Send Message
    Carlbot polycounter lvl 5
    Hello Guys,

Feel like I have neglected this post.

Thanks for your feedback Redroguexiii - I hadn't realised that I had any feedback so I continued on with the project, I now wish I had seen your post!

Regardless here are the pretty much finished shots. By no means is this a perfect recreation or even a good one; but I think it is at least somewhat competent. I don't know how much more I am going to do to it now as I am from tomorrow on vacation.

Thanks for looking.