Home General Discussion

Do you try to avoid the Chinese Room?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
daniellooartist polycounter lvl 11
There is a thought experiment done by a philosopher named John Searle to demonstrate the difference between a conscious being and a computer. He places a man in a room and has him follow a long list of instructions for converting the English language into Chinese. He can convert Chinese, but he doesn't truly understand what it is he is actually doing. He just followed a bunch of rules that relative to his understanding are 100% random. So, why is this important to a modeling forum?

More often than not I have noticed people both beginner and the highly talented alike do the same thing. And it appears to be universally accepted among 3D crowds. For example, you are supposed to use all quads when modeling, but very few people I know personally actually know why. Heck, I watched a guy stream last Tuesday and he intentionally left an n-gon in his model because it smoothed better. Yet he knew this was ok because he understood the logic behind why certain polygons are acceptable vs. not acceptable. They just know it's "just something you're supposed to do." Also, very few people know why you should triangulate the mesh before exporting to xNormal. They just know it's something you're "just supposed to do." I also see people deleting Maya preference folders when things go belly up, because that is "just what they are supposed to do."

You may be asking "If the end result is the same, why would it matter?" I have seen people who use hardcoded rules without understanding actually use them incorrectly. For example, people will triangulate the high poly for an xNormal OBJ export in addition to the low poly and cage. Sometimes they will triangulate the cage seperatly from the low poly and wonder why they get vertex errors. I sincerely believe an understanding of how triangle stripping and vertex re-indexing works can save the modeler some time. Also, several people were really excited about Crazybump because it uses a "magic algorithm" to convert photos to normal maps. This "It just works" mentality breaks down when you figure out how the "algorithm" actually works. Algorithms are ways of logically expressing certain behaviors, not some black box Harry Potter wizardry. For example, Crazybump will have distorted normal vectors if the photograph has some kind of biased light direction. And more often then not, photographed textures do because these photos capture the imperfections of nature.

I also believe it is a good idea to try and figure out what's actually causing the problem rather than just carelessly killing the preference list folder. Because more often than not I have noticed these problems are the result of bad practices that are repeated over and over again rather than "ooops, I guess their's a fluke in the Maya code. Gotta delete the prefs." It's been almost half a year since I have had to delete the preference list folder on my personal computer because the core understanding helps me avoid problems in the first place.

You can probably guess that I'm not a fan of Chinese Room thinking but I'm also not nearly as high of an authority as some of you guys on the subject of 3D. So what do you guys think? Is the Chinese room ok so long as it  gets stuff done, or do you believe the Chinese room thinking is bad practice that could have been avoided?

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it really depends on how curious you are about the technical side of things.

On the art side, I like to know what's happening so I'll mess around and see what breaks and what doesn't. Especially with game art, to understand what's happening with things like tangent bases or CrazyBump takes a certain understanding of how programs work and what capabilities they have, of vector maths and how the results are used. I didn't start with any of that knowledge but I've gained some by looking into how things work (there's a lot of things that are still way beyond my comprehension and I'll take the Chinese Room approach to that until I do).

There are a fair few artists who don't have that understanding and who balk at the idea of even trying, it's daunting; code and complex maths is hard stuff to grok. That doesn't make them bad artists. Although it's likely that taking the time to understand that stuff would make them better artists - but that's a fair undertaking for someone who's not so technically minded.

Canning the preferences is the easy fix. You'd be wasting potentially hours trying to figure out what it all means and what's going wrong just to surgically fix it. It's probably a net gain in time spent over time to just wipe it and start afresh every so often. There are diminishing returns for time spent trying to understand something and that time could be better used doing the thing you'd set out to do in the first place.

And, honestly, a lot of that isn't the responsibility of an artist, especially in a production environment where things often have to be "good enough" rather than "perfect".
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What you're talking about seems to run parallel to the monkey ladder climbing experiment
    Basically "I don't know — that's how things are done around here" 
    I personally encourage everyone to stop and ask a lot of probing questions whenever they run into that mentality.  That's not popular in Chinese culture and its a big stumbling block to creativity and ingenuity. I personally thank the cultural revolution for that but... that's another thread all together...

I don't like calling them rules, they are more like helpful suggestions from people who beat their heads on their keyboards and figured out some general ideas that MIGHT help you avoid all of that head on keyboard time. But they can just as easily cause a monumental amount of HOK time if you don't understand why.

To be successful it is almost mandatory that you not just learn the "rules" but that you learn why the rules are created. Until you understand why, you will run into many road blocks and make a lot of work for yourself. 

Learn everything, ask questions, find out why and do whatever works. You learn why, so you know when the rules can be broken.

Forgetting why or not passing along the reasoning behind the rules, is one way societies end up with some pretty stupid rules that actually end up hurting them more than helping.

Just to make sure I'm  doing my part...
    Quads
    Using mostly quads are generally easier to work with, but there are times when being dogmatic and following that as if it was a universal law will be a wild exercise in futility. It's fine to use tris and ngons if it works.

Triangulation
    Triangulate models, because invisible edges can be flipped when importing/exporting which changes the angle of the normals and causes seams and shading errors. If you make all edges visible (triangulate) you physically define the edge and the application can't flip it. Search for "tri stripping" if you're interested in learning more.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An addendum...

Triangulation
    Is doubly important when baking normal maps or exporting a mesh that is intended to be normal mapped. The algorithms for generating tangent bases used to bake and render normal maps (almost universally) work based on triangles. Different triangulation will give different results, breaking your normal maps.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    It's fine as long as they can easily achieve the kind of result they/the client want.
    It only really matters if aiming to become a tech artist / programmer, or if want to one day be in charge of other artists as a senior/lead.
  • daniellooartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

To be successful it is almost mandatory that you not just learn the "rules" but that you learn why the rules are created. Until you understand why, you will run into many road blocks and make a lot of work for yourself. 

Learn everything, ask questions, find out why and do whatever works. You learn why, so you know when the rules can be broken.

Forgetting why or not passing along the reasoning behind the rules, is one way societies end up with some pretty stupid rules that actually end up hurting them more than helping.
    I would agree with this. I think a few people were confused about what I meant. For example, it is important to understand why one should use all quads, but it is impractical for non-tech artist to memorize and comprehend something as deep and specific as Maya's actual Captian Clark smoothing equation. At what point does trivial information become non-trivial you ask? The point where it becomes impractical for your specific roll. The guy I mentioned who was streaming saved himself a lot of time by making an n-gon rather than spending minutes rerouting geo. His understanding saved him several minutes. I'm not sure if he knows the math for Captian Clark but I can't think of a single instance where he would ever need to.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's Catmull-Clark, btw ;)
  • daniellooartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My bad. Someone at the studio told me about it verbally and it sounded like "Captain." I was thinking "that's an odd name but I've heard weirder."
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Captain Clark sounds way cooler. I might start calling it that.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    I'm a big fan of Ed Catmull but sometimes you've got to make sacrifices in the name of cool-sounding stuff.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Point and counterpoint on this:

Point: Knowing more than you need to about a process will take precious time from actually doing things.  You'd get the knowledge anyways if you persevere and learn on the job, so getting in depth on technical points can divert your attention from more important things like artistry.

Counterpoint: Muzz is nuts deep in color theory and it allowed him to make Color Constructor; a really unique and useful tool.  So knowing your shit is never bad, and can open doors that you wouldn't know existed.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    I think it's one of those "fine line" things.  If you are consistently encountering a problem with your software (either by your own fault or just a software bug) it would behoove you to learn what the problem is--and methods to resolve it--so it can be avoided forever after.  This can save time compared to always having to avoid a completely viable technique, shut down and restart, or go through the motions of other "troubleshooting" methods of deleting random pref files, reinstalling software (does that really ever work?), or any other step that you were told to do from some obscure source on the Internet.  For artists, I don't think there is a need to go much deeper than that.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    For example, you are supposed to use all quads when modeling, but very few people I know personally actually know why.

This alone is a problematic statement. Different modeling tasks and end products require different approaches.

Overall, I think it's pretty obvious that understanding the technicalities behind this field is crucial. Some artists might be able to go by without being curious or lacking a certain critical eye allowing them to spot issues, but sooner or later it eventually backfires, especially in a team environment. As a matter of fact, pretty much all of the best modelers out there do care about all these technical details very much, because they know from experience that it can affect the quality of their work.

So I think that's a bit of a moot point. Don't waste your time overthinking whether or not one should care about these details, but rather, spend your energy on investigating them precisely, either on your own or by asking specific questions here that everyone will benefit from :)

• WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    Interesting topic... Now I think it depends on the person. I found I can't do good when I'm distracted by the technical side of modeling, "should I do that, or why?... balbla". Things have to flow, and just for the ability to be focus on art only I'll stay in the Chinese room. I always love to draw, because as a self taught drawer, I only see a pencil and a paper, nothing more, while on modeling there is so much more to care about (I don't). Even though I do know how works topology, how to bake maps and other things the industry need, and I know that because I fixed the problems when they were encountered. On the techy side of things writing tools can be real fun, and when you do, you just have to investigate.

• repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    you have to know what the fuck your doing or you just end up in an endless loop and to get to the point where you know what your doing requires work and experimentation. It's ok following tutorials to get an end result but not knowing why, how or what while your doing it is pointless. It's a riddle, the riddle of creativity and once you know what your doing that's when the magic happens.     

• daniellooartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [quote] spend your energy on investigating them precisely, either on your own or by asking specific questions here that everyone will benefit from [/quote]

I bring this up because it's something that has held back a lot of beginner users, yet somehow more advanced users can get away with it. So weather or nor Chinese room thinking is relevant is a discussion that can benefit everything. The Chinese room experiment is a different way of thinking rather than just a "How do I do a specific function in specific software?"
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    [...] you are supposed to use all quads when modeling, but very few people I know personally actually know why.[...] Also, very few people know why you should triangulate the mesh before exporting to xNormal. 
    [...]
    Im pretty sure, that every or at least almost every artist I have ever worked with could answer that.
    Have I just been lucky? 
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    I understand your point author of this topic, however, you have to grasp that we cannot learn everything out there, not only because it's futile to try to understand everything but also because you would lose alot of time doing it.

It happened mutliples times that I would do something without understanding the foundation and purpose of my action, solely going for the ''end result'' and depending on how important that knowledge will help me progress, I'll then take the time to think If I have to learn more about it or not.

If we were always thinking on why we do certains things a way or another, or how everything works around us and why, we'd be all philosphers-scientists...
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    I think 3D is one of those things you understand and learn more by doing and seeing versus reading. Reading of course helps, but you do something enough times and you'll start to recognize patterns. It also is quite a bitch to describe something to someone like proper edge flow for animation by only using words.

I'm not sure what you're getting at to be honest. The examples you used as something "a lot" of people don't know about are pretty obvious and have a direct visual impact on what you just did. Are you talking mathematical forumulas? Because that's kind of outside the scope of a focused artist, more of a technical artist. And further from the technical artist is a programmer. And then the programmer has a lead programmer and so on. And all of that shit is based on years of work and research done by a lot of people creating libraries. So yeah, you can go super deep in knowing how something works but you'll probably need a few lifetimes to know EVERYTHING.

Not 100% sure if this is true as it's been a few years, but I think one of my old professors had said that when he wrote a book on using Maya that he interviewed and asked questions from people who worked directly on Maya, and not one person was able to know everything the software does and how because it's just so many years of people and work.

You could spend your entire life reading wikipedia and die not getting even close to reading it all. It's all a matter of what is important to know to you. But yeah questioning and learning is also good and I'm a 100% for so don't think this post is about just doing something because it works. That's why fundamentals are important to understanding and getting better :) I also work where people are encouraged to ask questions if they don't understand something no matter what it is, and I must say I'm lucky enough to sit next to a guy whose had a background in architecture for years and he is a delight to learn interesting random things from and how the stuff that I model works and is built the way it is in real life!

My 2 cents anyways.