Home Career & Education

Did you really think no one would notice?

Recently it came to our attention that a user was responding to threads in the Work Opportunities section of the forum with a portfolio filled with stolen art, so I wanted to make a short public service announcement.

For young artists looking to get an edge, think twice about passing off someone else's work as your own. You will be found out, and it will hurt your career. 

For clients looking to contract freelance artists, make sure to do your due diligence, reverse google image search is good place to start. If a portfolio looks too good to be true, or shows a suspiciously wide range of art styles, this can be a red flag. It's not uncommon for scammers to make fake portfolios, agree to contract work with an upfront fee, and then vanish into the night.

If anyone sees a portfolio with stolen art that they recognize being posted on Polycount, please let one of the mods know.

Replies

• rbc100
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rbc100 polycounter lvl 5
    Good to know, certainly will keep an eye out.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
  • .nL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Does proper watermarking prevent this from happening?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    unfortunately the healing brush will make short work of any watermark. unless you stamp it all over and kinda ruin your image this way.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    You could always just name the people that do this and have a list or something, but that might be a little harsh.
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    I very recently (just a couple of days ago,actually) got a bunch of textures and shaders just copied, watermarks removed, from here and my portfolio by a tiny studio. It really fucking sucks when you're trying to show your process and give back to the community and then get punished for it. So the days of that kind of transparency is sadly over.

I'm also afraid of naming names because I don't want to give the studio any more publicity than they deserve. (And frankly, legal backlash.)
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    That's definitely the wrong way to make a name for yourself in this industry.
  • Gadorian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gadorian polycounter lvl 7
    A few days ago, I was checking out new posts on Artstation, and stumbled upon an awesome hand painted weapon. Immediately I recognized Pugui2001's work. I reported the plagiarism to the Artstation staff, and the piece was taken off, don't know if user was banned, or not. But it proves Earthquake's message. Don't taint your name with plagiarism, a simple google image search is sufficient to find the source of the image, and the original poster.
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    serriffe polycounter lvl 9
    let see? where's the " Game of Thrones for Shame Lady "  icon? 
  • nufftalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nufftalon polycounter lvl 11
    Will keep an eye out, its crazy people do this.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    This happens quite a bit. There's really nothing you can do to prevent it from happening.

It DOES HELP to have an online presence with your artwork so that others can more easily recognize your work as being yours. You can even do this by asking for critique and frequently posting your WIP updates on Polycount and other sites.

Hopefully if this does happen to you, someone will be able to stumble upon it and report it.

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I agree with Tobbo, the best way to combat this is to post your art everywhere. The more people that have see your art, the more likely stolen works will be recognized. You could try to do some universal branding, like a giant logo in the background that's barely visible. Name your images with your name in it, if someone saves and reuploads it without renaming it, your name will be there there. 
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    NOT cool  :|  will keep an eye out for sure
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Why would someone steal artwork to apply for jobs? Besides the obvious moral and legally wrong, it makes no sense to me as the person would probably get fired quickly due to them not being able to produce any work to the quality level of work they stole.

Good to know people are on the lookout!
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
    I very recently (just a couple of days ago,actually) got a bunch of textures and shaders just copied, watermarks removed, from here and my portfolio by a tiny studio. It really fucking sucks when you're trying to show your process and give back to the community and then get punished for it. So the days of that kind of transparency is sadly over.

I'm also afraid of naming names because I don't want to give the studio any more publicity than they deserve. (And frankly, legal backlash.)

It would be hard for them to get any positive publicity for their game if they stole your stuff. and they would not have any real legal legs to stand on if you can prove they stole your art.

• ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6

lol what a dumbass.

A good way to watermark your art is to go one tone colour off in the picture and put your name or email on it, and of course never show all your wips lol.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    What do you think of watermarking like this ? Is this getting in the way of the art too much :( ?

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I think maintaining an active online presence is really one of the best ways to combat this. It was another user who alerted me to the account in question, but when I saw his portfolio I recognized a bunch of the work from various artists in the community, which made it easy to tell if he was using stolen work, and we were able to delete his account and get his work taken off cgsociety as well.

I'm not sure how useful a "blacklist" is, because it's fairly easy for someone to create a new online persona (and I imagine that's what a lot of the real scammers do as soon as they are found out). I think a more proactive approach from the community is what we really need.

I'm not sure watermarking is a very good solution either. I don't know about you guys, but it always annoys me when I see it, and leaves a bad impression if it's over the top when I'm doing portfolio reviews for hiring purposes. I've never watermarked my work, because I figure if anyone takes credit for anything I've done, it's a short term issue (these people tend to get caught), and is unlikely to hurt me in any significant way, as I can prove ownership of my work relatively easily.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    @PyrZern

I feel like watermarks unfortunately tend to take away from the piece personally if it's covering up/overlayed on most of the piece, as I'll remember it as that highly-watermarked one versus that amazing sculpt.

That and depending on what it is, it probably can easily be photoshopped out with the heal brush/curves etc. in 15 minutes or less. I mean if we can take photographs of differently sized brick walls at an angle with shadowing going on and turn that into a seamless usable texture in photoshop, someone who has the time can certainly remove any trace of a watermark.

Then again, I wouldn't say watermarks are an entirely bad idea to discourage it from being "too easy" a steal. Something like that though where it competes with 80% of the piece might be too distracting though. I guess it's up to the artist to decide on how to handle something like watermarks.
  • l.croxton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Not sure if it would work for all examples but when I have used watermarks I find covering the whole image in a repeat of my name for example but overlayed "screen" to a level where it is visible but not that destructive can work quite well :)

• iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    @PyrZern all you need to do when posting your images online is not post the highest resolution version.

The worst i've heard isn't people stealing work cause that's generally not that bad, but people stealing work and actually convincing other people that the work is theirs resulting  in all kinds of BS. 

I ad my name and such to work all the time but my main rule is just limit the release to a max resolution when posting online for most things. I personally think water marks do more harm then good in terms of promoting your work. 
  • Sigmatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sigmatron interpolator
    Good artists copy, great artists steal, huh?
  • cookedpeanut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    Personally I think watermarking is not nice - think about it, if you have an entire portfolio with repeating images that have the same obtrusive watermark then it can become a bit eccentric. I always say that with textures, downsize them or crop a segment out and with images, similarly just downsize them. If you have an original image then there's no denying you're the rightful owner. If people want to steal art then accept that that's their shortcoming and it's up to the employer to do their research. You'll soon realise their not up to snuff anyway.

But it's nothing new, art theft is rife - we're on the internet you know.
    One thing you can try to deter people downloading images is, if you've created your website portfolio then I believe it's possible to create a javascript module which disables image downloading on a website. But again this can be circumnavigated...

Something I started doing is to actually watermark a segment of the texture and have it visible in the render. If you have the original texture sheets (PSD files) then you can easily remove it when needed. But it certainly makes it more difficult for people to steal the art. Clone tool ain't gonna work in this scenario.

I have to admit that when I first started 3D work when I was 16'ish I was also a culprit to this, I think you'll find that the people that do this are either young or frustrated with their work progress, so they look to altering other people's work and trying to pass it off as their own.

Just keep your eyes out fellas!
  • Toku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toku polycounter lvl 6
    I will be mindful of this and let you know if I see any fake artists who are spreading misinformation. And yes if you are still young and are looking to find work here this is entirely the wrong way to go about things, Prospective employers are probably more knowledgeable of fraud than you anticipate and it will come back to you in the end..

• Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    If someone is shameless enough to use stolen art for an application I don't think they would be stopped by watermarks. In worst case they just copy your whole Portfolio including your watermark and still claim it as their own.
    In case of PyrZern example they could just change the name and keep the big A3D as it is.
  • DRoss3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DRoss3d polycounter lvl 6
    There is a way to add some copyright protection to your rendered images. This can be easily removed, but if a novice is willing to steal another artists' work and pass it off as their own, they might just overlook these simple protection measures.

Step 1: Open your image in Photoshop and click on "File Info" in the File menu

Step 2:
    Fill out the appropriate fields and click ok

Step 3: Make sure the copyright symbol is showing on your image tab

Step 4: Next Save your image for the Web and make sure the copyright and contact information is included in the metadata
    Again this won't make it impossible for someone to steal your work, but it adds an extra layer of protection that may be overlooked by an inexperienced person.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    yeah don't spend too much time thinking about how to copyright your stuff if it isn't the render itself that is the product, if people try to use your stuff
    in their portfolio you probably have created some nice stuff, which means people will like it and if you spread it they will know you, if you later want to prove it's your stuff I think people will believe the guy with a couple of thousand followers on artstation rather than the guy with 2 followers on cgsociety, also if you upload your stuff it's already dated and safe.
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Sadly but true, I once reported an artist stealing works from top-notch artists, that person got into trouble later.
    My previous 3D art teacher also got rob his artwork, but later he became an art lead, the "stealer" applied for a job there, he know who he was.
    It's really nice to have a very active community where people can see other's works and progress. I came daily on Polycount when I was in college, it was easy to recognize who made what. An advice for students, please, don't take bad shortcuts like that, it would hurt your career and reputation way before entering the industry, and the world is small, we pretty much know everything that goes around this field! :)
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Wall of shame page with real names(loc?)(maybe include face pix?) stickied forever, problem solved? I think so, no? damn it. I thought we were past this. :(
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    There's some info from Google on making your images be image-search-friendly:
    https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/175288?hl=en

But I think that automatically happens if you submit your website for it to crawl and index (https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/submit-url).

• WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    It's a threat for sure, there must be a reliable one-way of protecting art!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Case in point, recently a hopeful applied to Insomniac for the character art position, WITH a folio containing stolen artwork, TO the lead *cough GAV Cough* whose artwork was contained within aforementioned folio. fucken lol. I'm going to steal your artwork, then apply to you with your artwork in my folio. sounds like a legit way in no?

Blacklisted forever.
  • Stinkfoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkfoot polycounter lvl 11
    Something like this?
    I don't know if there are any privacy rights/laws that prevent actual name posting on forums, but then again, if you use other folks work that right is forfeit in my opinion.

• PollySong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PollySong polycounter lvl 14
    So if someone applies for a full time job with a stolen portfolio and actually gets it, what then? Just hope nobody notices that they don't know what they're doing?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    yup, that's it. cover-shooter-style - hide among the deadwood till your probation period is over and getting rid of you becomes a bit of a hassle. ;)
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, in many cases, they look for contract work instead of full time work. They get an advance in payment and then disappear. Small studios and indies fall victim to this.

Depending on the country you live in, where the USD and EUR are worth a lot, you just have to do this a couple times a year and there's no need to have a job.
  • aristides
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aristides polycounter lvl 6
    They can't steal it if they can't see it. My portfolio is on a private blog that isn't registered in search engines. It doesn't have any password protection but there's an option for it. When I look for work I know for sure that only my possible employers have access to it, there's no need for anyone else.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    As a professional artist you are really working against yourself if you are trying to stay hidden because you are afraid to get your pictures copied,
    it really isn't worth it. 
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, if you hide your work, art thieves can't see it, but neither can potential employers, so what's the point?
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just be sure to put a big 'do not steal' watermark over it all.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    thieves will steal, thats what they do.
    artists will have to keep making art, thats what we do.

i got my art stolen many times, but never got bothered enough to put even a single watermark on any of my work.

• 2dartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2dartist polycounter lvl 3
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    A secret blog?  I think that will work against you in the end...unless you are the most badass artist out there.  If you're like most of us and are somewhere in the middle, definitely not the best idea IMO.
  • aristides
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @EarthQuake
    Yeah, if you hide your work, art thieves can't see it, but neither can potential employers, so what's the point?
    Sorry, I forgot to add that I'm not a freelancer. Only companies that have my CV know where to look.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I think the idea of hiding your work so no one can steal it is completely absurd. If you hide your work:
    1. It's much harder for anyone to know it was made by you.
    2. You don't build a reputation as being a good artist.
    3. You'll almost never get referrals because nobody knows you exist.
    All that so you don't run the risk of someone putting something of yours in their portfolio? That's silly.

Put yourself out there, build a reputation, and people will instantly know who and what they're dealing with when they see you and your work. It's a very small industry, so you're not doing yourself any favors by hiding.
  • aristides
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are a lot of incredibly talented people who have absolutely no presence online. When they look for a new job they just send their portfolio to a potential employer. If you created everything in your portfolio, you have all the means to prove it, if necessary. Not sure what you're talking about, but entertainment industry is huge, you might be just seeing a small part of it.

If you don't want your best work to be stolen, just keep it to yourself and present it when the time comes. That's all I'm saying. Obviously it doesn't apply to aspiring artists, freelancers and those looking for critique.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator

@Aristides the people who don't bother to have a presence online, tend to have been those who have lots of experience and credits to their name, and there aren't that many that have that luxury.
    The industry is actually pretty small and in an age of reverse its pretty dumb to risk passing off work that isn't your own.

If your work is good enough for someone to steal, that person realistically isn't going to be infringing on your job opportunities so hiding your stuff is pretty useless.

• Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    By not showing your work you are reducing the chance of someone stumbling upon it which could then lead to a job. Lots of people looking on forums etc who will view good work and perhaps refer it. As for people stealing your work; like has been said above, if you've posted on forums/online it is usually very easy to track down who made what so you are reducing the chances of people successfully using your work for their own portfolios.

@2Dartist - Mind providing a source for that?
  • Catzcratch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Catzcratch polycounter lvl 6
    " The pic went viral and was re-posted on so many website and people printed her art on t shirts and were selling them confounded "
    some people call this free advertising . well except for the shirt printing thing xD