Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Walking Dead Prison WIP

benm96
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
benm96 polycounter lvl 6

So this is my first post here :) hoping for some crit on a project I'm working on for university. The brief is to make a 360 room environment in UE4. I've chosen to do the prison from The Walking Dead, here's where I'm up to with it so far:

Replies

• Madosho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Madosho polycounter lvl 3
    As far as I could gather from the reference, I see that you've got some great likeness going on in here. Awesome :D. The things that stand out for me that floor and roof textures to not read properly in this setup. I feel like the roughness variations and grungyness could be pushed in that regard. I also feel like that in this lighting setup the scene a appears little too dark. I think that the overall scene could benefit from more bouncelight and a overall more warmer tint.
    A bit like in this picture:

And since this is a WIP project, I hope you can push story element of this scene to make the scene really come alive. Like scattered props, clothing, more rubble and trash and stuff. (Just some ideas tho). I'm looking forward to see this coming together :)
  • benm96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benm96 polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the crit :) I'll take a look into the ground texture, I definitely can see what you mean. Here's an update anyway, I think it's a bit too warm in terms of lighting but that's easy enough to adjust 

• benm96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benm96 polycounter lvl 6
    Couple updates :)

• Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Looking pretty good BENM96. Definitely still needs more clutter throughout. 

I would say overall the whole scene needs to be quite a bit brighter based on the reference.

The volumetric lights in the distance look cool but one looks like it's coming through the roof. I would just leave it around the windows.

Overall the scene, for me at least, is a little boring overall. Try adding some things that would be difficult to do and make it your focal point in the scene. Like maybe having some guts simulated drooping down the stairs with blood dripping off of it. Or maybe just a walker who died on the stairs sculpted in detail that lives up to the show (that would be really impressive). You could also have some riot gear hanging up on one of the prison doors. Or you could model a gun and put that in the foreground on the floor to give you a sense of scale and depth. 

Anyways those were just some ideas for some things you could do to make the scene more interesting and give it some kind of thought provoking focal point.