Home Big News

Polycount + Piracy

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19

Just a small note to let everyone know we've updated our Rules post in the Forum to reflect our stance on Piracy discussions here at Polycount.

Piracy is one of those elephants in the room we face daily in our industry. And as such, we understand your want or need to discuss it amongst your peers. However, both out of respect for our industry & jobs, and to cover our own asses, we may not allow such threads to be active within the Polycount Forum.

However, Polycount.com will not support the 'for' argument of Piracy, and since there's two sides to this coin in every discussion, we may close threads from here on out about Piracy within videogames. It's a topic that's come up a hundred times already in the past, so for now please search our Forum's history to see previous discussions. Depending on where the discussion goes, we will keep the threads active but typically it becomes a 'for' or 'against' discussion, which we will not support.

We absolutely hate barring discussion topics as we feel everyone has a right to discuss what they like when it comes to videogames and videogame art but we cannot let Polycount be a place for such discussions to take place. Please keep this in mind the next time you have the urge to bring up Piracy within the Polycount Forum.

Our update rule on Piracy states:

Polycount does not condone piracy nor do we allow links to pirated games or software. We understand the piracy discussion, however Polycount will not be used as a platform for speaking out in favor of piracy, thus threads centering around piracy may be removed/deleted.

Thank you!

-Adam & the Polycount Crew

Replies

• BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    I don't agree ! Oh wait.. no you're right :) Keep mah polycount a game art board !

Logged in as dineyin.
  • beezul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like ninjas better too
  • Veizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Veizer polycounter lvl 11
    I thought this was already crystal clear. Did something happen?
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    "I thought this was already crystal clear. Did something happen?"
    Recent bout of piracy threads, active one right now was caused by notch's stance on piracy.

To sum up;
    Nothing is ever crystal clear as both have key points, which are repeated and repeated and yes dear repeated between people arguing while at the same time poking holes in the others.
    So just remember, even your most thought out argument or statement can and will be ignored.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I flatout stopped reading piracy threads. I nearly face palmed when I saw the notch one - they just invite flamewars.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    was polycount approached by some other company? what triggered this?
  • tda
  • Veizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Veizer polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't following these threads either because it's meaningless to argue about morals and etc.
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    Good, i hated seeing these unending flame wars.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    (polite applause)

Though I feel that there is room for discussion on such topics, I'm not sure what the point is of openly advocating piracy on a board populated by game artists. (and by extension, game developers) Its like attempting to speak passionately in favor of gun control at an NRA meeting.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Simply awesome to read. Seconding the applause.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Gosh, all because greevar kept on trolling...
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Hah I didn't expect this. As soon as I saw the Notch article I knew it'd cause arguments all over the net. But never on Polycount.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    lol, 'It's all notch's fault!'

Thinking about this some more, I really hope piracy isn't a topic that shall never be named, as some polycount members has spoken eloquently on precisely why piracy is a problem from a first or second hand perspective in non piracy threads.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piracy isn't a topic that will never be mentioned. These sort of threads however, were always bordering on Polycount's long standing viewpoint towards piracy(that we don't want any part of it), so we took some time to make that clear.

We hope this will also help to curb these massive threads we've been having, that add little positive to the polycount community on the whole.
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    To be honest though, that thread is one of the most rational I have ever read on the subject.
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    Is this really neccesary? i mean okey if you want to stop the piracy-discussion beacuse it's flooding the forum, i understand, but that you would with anytihing, say if every polycount member stopped posting gameart and started disscusions about banana. but to shut the threads down beacuse "respect for the industry" is weak.
    couldn't this just be a gameart forum instead of a "piracy is bad" gameart forum? why take that stand? why not let it be just another opinion. after all, how i feel games should be distributed, and how or if people should pay for my (and others) games doesn't affect the art i create.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    stickadtroja: are you trying to start a piracy debate in the comments?
    The opperators of the forums have the right to enforce what ever rules they like, Its their forum and they can do what they like with it. We're just freeloaders, taking advantage of a very generous gift.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    stickadroja - The update on the rules stands.
  • POFFINGTON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    you the man adam. keep it up!
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    "omg omg but my appinionssss! Even if they're retarded and offend people and do nothing good I should be able to state theeeeem, I HAVE A RIIIIIGHT" <---hopefully that won't happen.
    I fully support this stance, I always thought it was retarded being openly pro-piracy on a damned board for videogame developers.

It's like talking about the "pros" of cancer in a hospital for children with cancer :|
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r: no obviously not since its FORBIDDEN! i only ask a question; how could it possebly hurt polycount that it exists piracy-discussions threads on thier forum? again why take a stand at all?
    and yeah off course polycount crew can do as they like, it's their forum, but wouldn't you all be suprised if they suddenly forbid threads about, say, bananas? they can do it, obsiously, but why is there a need to? i can se that, yeah, piracy is more related to this forums than bananas but isn't this a GAME ART forum and not some lobby group for the video game industry?
  • DarthBartus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja: discussions on such subjective matters as piracy, faith, or whatever else lead to only one thing: SHITSTORM. And shitstorm is no good to any forum. It causes warnings, bans and leads awesome, yet, let's say, sensitive members of community to leave. They're then replaced by mindless, retarded, everlasting noobs. And this causes forums to DIE. You don't wanna Polycount to die, don't you? ;)
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthBartus; well that is the most legitimate reason i heard so far. and yes, that sound reasonable, if piracy threads is causing shitstorms. but to make it into a standpoint where polycount has to defend the games industry is, in my eyes, to overreact and stepping out of place. it's almost like saying "if you are pro piracy you can't like gameart".
    which we do, we just don't like paying for the games that it's in.
  • Tom3dJay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Censorship? DO NOT WANT, thx
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 7
    I don't think anyone would ban anyone talking about bananas :) and this has nothing to do with censorship. Censorship is an entirely different beast, that luckily most of us have not experienced in our lifetime. It is about not promotingsupporting illegal activities that hurt developers. If you want to talk about, or even advocate piracy, there are other more appropriate places to do so. Go to your local governor's forum or blog for instance :) It is a free world, and the administrators of this community have made a decision in order to protect what they have nurtured for so long.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I'm of mixed minds about this. It feels like our community has a need to discuss this, why else would these topics garner such a HUGE response? Sure we can discuss this somewhere else, but what makes the Polycount discussions interesting is the viewpoint we get from us being who we are, and discussing the things we discuss.