Home General Discussion

Attack on Titan: a reclusive artist and his man-eating giants

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
littleclaude quad damage
Attack on Titan: a reclusive artist and his man-eating giants

This interview is quite an inspiration to listen to, just shows you that you should never give up on your dreams.

Interview - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-34483459

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGRm4IzK1SQ[/ame]

Replies

• Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Sadly, the original work itself (the manga) isn't that good and was at the beginning poorly drawn.

It'S only becaus eof the anime adaptation, the title got it's reputation.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    That's not entirely fair, Blond. AoT was a monthly serial, the fact it's not fine art is a given. The beginning of One Piece and Bleach don't exactly look crash hot either. I've heard tale that it was originally popularized (and thus turned into an anime in the first place) due to its intrigue and writing, rather than the art.

It's alright, and there's no need to be so harsh.

Anyway, I feel happy watching this.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Blond wrote: »
    Sadly, the original work itself (the manga) isn't that good and was at the beginning poorly drawn.

Why? Because it didn't look like EVERY SINGLE OTHER manga ever drawn? I liked it. Imagine how boring his giants would be if they weren't originally drawn in his style.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    aesir wrote: »
    Why? Because it didn't look like EVERY SINGLE OTHER manga ever drawn? I liked it. Imagine how boring his giants would be if they weren't originally drawn in his style.
    You guys are the ones being unfair. It's common knowledge that the art in the manga isn't very good. It's an objective fact.
    People read it for the awesome story.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5

I'm pretty sure a lot of the great manga series start out this way and gets better over time.
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    @Grimwolf
    Agreed.
    If you go back reading the first chapter, and compared it to the latest one, its pretty clear that he is getting better at it.

The story was awesome enough that i didn't really care much about the art. The world Isayama presented, the characters he introduced, and the mystery on how things became the way they are now is enough to keep me on suspense.

Though i can't wait to see some scenes to be adapted for Season 2 in all their animated glory. Going to be fucking awesome.
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8

Why don't you start by saying what you find so lacklustre about its art? There's a lot of stuff labelled as 'fine art' that I personally find boring as hell...
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    I dunno guys, after reading Death Note, Air Gear, Berserk, you start having certain standard haha.

I mean, artistically, it's allright but from a technical point of view, the stuff at the beginning looked like it was drawn from ''that kid who knew how to draw in High School''

Look at the hands..

43.jpg

gBSq9Wt.png

BGrRlly.png
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    By your logic it would be unfair to judge the first CoD games to what is out now because they are inferior to the latest releases, but as a whole the series has only gotten better. The same can be said of this series.

Art isn't everything, especially when it comes to a medium that really focuses on story. I know that doesn't make much sense around here but all of that stuff has to work together somehow and it must have been tough to come up with a neat idea AND draw it out panel by panel. Besides can you imagine if this guy waited and 'perfected' his craft and then released this series years later? It might not have happened at all then because he might have never been good enough to want to show his work, or worse, his moment would have passed him by.

I think that analysis paralysis happens to a lot of us here so kudos for him still holding onto his dream and taking a chance!
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The people who never make mistakes are the ones who never do any work.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    I dunno guys, after reading Death Note, Air Gear, Berserk, you start having certain standard haha.

I mean, artistically, it's allright but from a technical point of view, the stuff at the beginning looked like it was drawn from ''that kid who knew how to draw in High School''

Look at the hands..

I can't really say that AoT strikes me as much worse than other serialized manga out there. There is a certain quality to it style, but I'd argue that its one of the reasons for the mangas popularity. I'm not a huge fan but I would argue that some of the appeal of the series is due to how odd the titans look.

Also as others have mentioned, mangakas improve over time. Some of them in fact change in some amazing ways. So there is a big reason why only very few series look that way. A vast majority of serialized manga out there is done somewhat hastily.

Take Jojo's Araki for example

AxTWdAO.jpg

Or even Berserk's Miura

rmHR4sF.jpg

Also, regarding Berserk while Miura's work is incredibly detailed, fans of the series frequently complain about how long it takes for the author to make new chapters.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7

Naah bro, it's precisely the other way around. It's because of its reputation that it got an adaptation.
    These days studios don't take too many risks, they either make stuff that's designed to sell or adapt manga that's already a hit.

Shingeki no Kyojin got very popular right away, a few years ago it caused quite a stir.
    The fact that it got rejected so many times has helped it (it basically became known as "that cool manga that retard publishers didn't want to publish") But what drew people to the title was the story, setting and gore.

Anime adaptation, which doesn't do the comic justice IMO, simply made Attack on Titan available for all the people who don't read manga.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Blond you're right! He should have gone to art school and studied for 10 years so that he can draw hands exactly as you like them instead of telling the story he wanted to tell.....
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    It's true the art was on the poor side. But hey, it's the good story and idea that got people hooked.

Look at the original One Punch Man. People still went crazy over it. It's helluva fun regardless of the art.

KuoK.jpg

In fact it gained so much popularity that later, Shonen Jump bought it and have an actual Manga artist redrew it from the first chapter. That's what this image I posted was about: One Punch Man celebrating with fireworks... lol.

Fun! That's already the number 1 thing :D