Home General Discussion

Good portable drawing tablets?

YellowYeti
vertex
Offline / Send Message
YellowYeti vertex
I'm just looking for a tablet similar to like an iPad type tablet, not one that connects into the PC type of tablet that can be portable for if i want to bring it around with me for if i go anywhere, and preferably one that wont break the bank and is for a ridiculous price if possible. I know it may be stupid reasoning, but i want to work on my traditional drawing skills since i'm not great with that, and i'd rather not lug around a sketch book and all my art supplies(though it may seem counter intuitive to work on traditional art on a tablet, but just my drawing in general needs work so i figure it's a win win)
Thanks!

Replies

• JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Just get a sketchbook and a pen, dude. It costs several orders of magnitude less and you don't have to deal with silly tracking problems. You only need one or two implements to practice drawing on the go.
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Just get a sketchbook and a pen, dude. It costs several orders of magnitude less and you don't have to deal with silly tracking problems.

Do those have palm-rejection? What's the battery life?
  • YellowYeti
    Offline / Send Message
    YellowYeti vertex
    Fuiosg wrote: »
    Do those have palm-rejection? What's the battery life?

Also i didnt even ask , but how much memory does it have? Can I play my sweet tunes on it?
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, on the cover mine says that it's got 100 pages. A typical ARM CPU on something like this can have up to 32 KB per page, which means that it's got 3.2 megabytes of memory, which should be enough for anybody these days. (Unless you want to run emacs, in which case you'll probably want more.) If you draw on both sides of the page you can get up to 6.4 megabytes. This is called "swapping."

Palm rejection varies depending on the stylus you use and can both enhance and detract from the drawing experience. Most good ink pens dry quickly enough that it's not a problem if your hand goes over the stroke. However, charcoal pencils do NOT generally have palm rejection. If you rub your hand over them, the charcoal spreads to other areas of the page. Clever artists can exploit this to get a better result.

And of course you can play your sweet tunes on it! My sketchbook has Dark Side of the Moon on it.

tdCuwDn.jpg

The battery life is generally good, but you will need an external source of illumination if you want to work at night or in a dank, dark cavern as the device conserves energy by forgoing a backlight for the display altogether. It's a bit old fashioned, but it's surprisingly easy on the eyes once you get used to it.
  • YellowYeti
    Offline / Send Message
    YellowYeti vertex
    Haha i love this site, thanks @JedTheKrampus.
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    @JEDtheKrampus

I got my sketchbook (brown paper model) wet the other day, do you have an quick fixes for this? Is there an update i'm missing?
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    This is definitely something you want to avoid, as the pages will generally be permanently bent after they dry. If you're careful about it you can usually still get your drawings back, though! I'm not an expert on this kind of thing, but the Library of Congress is, and you should refer to their site if you get your sketchbook wet.
  • throttlekitty
    Well, on the cover mine says that it's got 100 pages. A typical ARM CPU on something like this can have up to 32 KB per page, which means that it's got 3.2 megabytes of memory, which should be enough for anybody these days. (Unless you want to run emacs, in which case you'll probably want more.) If you draw on both sides of the page you can get up to 6.4 megabytes. This is called "swapping."

Palm rejection varies depending on the stylus you use and can both enhance and detract from the drawing experience. Most good ink pens dry quickly enough that it's not a problem if your hand goes over the stroke. However, charcoal pencils do NOT generally have palm rejection. If you rub your hand over them, the charcoal spreads to other areas of the page. Clever artists can exploit this to get a better result.

And of course you can play your sweet tunes on it! My sketchbook has Dark Side of the Moon on it.

tdCuwDn.jpg

The battery life is generally good, but you will need an external source of illumination if you want to work at night or in a dank, dark cavern as the device conserves energy by forgoing a backlight for the display altogether. It's a bit old fashioned, but it's surprisingly easy on the eyes once you get used to it.

Daaaaang look at all the colors too! Our local clay is a lightish red so my tablets are always that + whatever time of day or how cloudy it is. It takes a while to cook them all up, but they hold a charge forever!
  • YellowYeti
    Offline / Send Message
    YellowYeti vertex
    Daaaaang look at all the colors too! Our local clay is a lightish red so my tablets are always that + whatever time of day or how cloudy it is. It takes a while to cook them all up, but they hold a charge forever!

And how is your clay when it get's wet? As was mentioned previously.