Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Buggy for Apocalypse concept

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Tigersfather polycounter lvl 10
Buggy for ride in the post apocalyptic world. Inspired by Mad Max universe. I love the theme of the apocalypse and now it was my turn to do something close to it:)
All modeled in maya, all parts created for smooth. All parts are unfolded, textures made in high res.
All started with two short articles for 3D Total magazine about buggy creation (issues 113-114). Then I decided to remake the model from the beginning. After all I unwrapped whole vehicle and drew highly detailed textures for it. Final renders I made in 6K.
I tried to achieve brutal car with strong design and powerfull engine. It's not a small desert buggy for several people as a huge battle vehicle armed with guns. It's a big bad buggy only for one egoist-king. Only for ride, not for shooting :)

Well, a couple of words about the technical part :
All textures made in Mari. I created 3 layers of textures: diffuse, scratches and dirt. Dirt divided into thwo VrayDirt-layers (three for tires). All materials are VrayBlendMtl. Sand made with displacement + layered texture for bump and diffuse. Tree and bushes - speedtree.
Lightning: vraySun.
Main render made in 9K.

alexandr-novitskiy-buggy-desert-01.jpg?1441703772
alexandr-novitskiy-buggy-desert-01-mesh.jpg?1441634173
alexandr-novitskiy-buggy-desert-01.jpg?1441634133
alexandr-novitskiy-buggy-studio-01.jpg?1440743110
alexandr-novitskiy-buggy-studio-02.jpg?1440743112
alexandr-novitskiy-buggy-fragments.jpg?1440497350
alexandr-novitskiy-big-block-engine-04.jpg?1440497366
alexandr-novitskiy-buggy-transmission.jpg?1440497371
alexandr-novitskiy-buggy-studio-mesh-01.jpg?1440497357
alexandr-novitskiy-buggy-studio-mesh-02.jpg?1440497360
alexandr-novitskiy-big-block-engine-04-mesh.jpg?1440497369
alexandr-novitskiy-buggy-transmission-mesh.jpg?1440497374

Replies

• Tigersfather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here some renders of the engine:

alexandr-novitskiy-big-block-engine-01.jpg?1438841811
    alexandr-novitskiy-big-block-engine-02.jpg?1438841816
    alexandr-novitskiy-big-block-engine-01-mesh.jpg?1438841813
    alexandr-novitskiy-big-block-engine-02-mesh.jpg?1438841818
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    Awesome work mate, now go and bake this monster down :D
  • Tigersfather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    WOW. :) Lovely presentation and texturework.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Very nice work overall

some things that stand out to me tho, the size feels off, generally it looks like the buggy is scaled bigger than its individual parts imply. The seat gives us a measurement and most of the other parts look like made from 3m humans. I also think some other scale indicators are missing that help define the actual size, all parts are huge, there are no small screws or other things we can clearly identify as normal sized and that could help a lot making it more tangible. While they look fancy, the rims look very unplausible and the screws do not make sense and how is the back tire fixated ?

The throne thing could also be more exagerrated, that feeling dosnt come through, it feels like something is missing around the cockpit area, it does not look majestic and kind of unpersonal, also it feels a bit enclosed, i think it should be more outwards, "openly recieving" as you are the king with outgoing reach and this is your pedestral, also more stuff would balance out the overwhelming weight of the bottom part. The space orcs vehicles from warhammer do this very well.The bottom parts look like they were (strangely professional) but custom made, but the cockpit rollcage breaks this immersion with its super modern perfectly machined pieces that look like they were made exactly for this purpose, it feels a bit like you could buy this vehicle.
    A more classical rolling cage of larger size would emphatize this throne position and make it look less artificial imo. Making the exhausts reach higher coud also give the upper part some balance back but im not sure.

Aside very nice execution.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Great textures and model. I love the breakdown shots as well.

I do agree with Shrike that the proportions feel a bit off. I feel like looking at the seat and comparing it to the exhaust or the engine feels off size wise for what I would think of as a traditional buggy.
  • Tigersfather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, guys) I made buggy big intentionally in comparison with human model. I know that this buggy is very heavy and it may be possible only as concept on image) But it's worth it)
  • KMiklas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMiklas polycounter lvl 9
    That's sick.

Love the wheels.
  • EdHanley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EdHanley polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome work dude. I'm with the the other guys though, the seat get lost a bit, so much that I didn't notice it was there at first. Still a really cool piece though, well done.

Ed