Home Dota 2

LOD count

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
legi polycounter lvl 4
Hi folks

Im working on a set and it requires 2 LODs. I know where and how to make the model lighter, but when I cut in certain places, the mesh just goes crazy.

So my question is, how do you properly make LOD?

I am using blender and the only way I see doing this, is by making the mesh, marking the seams (which will not be touched later) and messing with the rest of the model.

Is this the right way or is there another way of doing it?

cheers
Nik

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    You'll have to be a little bit more precise - what do you mean by "the mesh just goes crazy" ? Please post a screenshot.

Also you mention cutting but there is generally no need for that when manually creating Lods. You'll mostly be using face deletion, and merging verts/edges to center.

Good luck !
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I suppose you mean you collapsed edge around a seam and the polys rearranged themselves so the texture is all screwy?

That happens with split uv islands and you merged 'across' the islands. So in your uv map you can grab those poly, detach, and reconnect the correct verts.

You can also split your mesh at all the seams, so when you collapse edges they won't do that, you just need to weld verts again after the lod is done.