Home Dota 2

A Beginners Journey

BaneOfInsanity
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
BaneOfInsanity polycounter lvl 7
Hey, my name is BaneOfInsanity and I started modelling recently. Just wanted to share my progress here in hope of critique and feedback

Currently working on this (2.12.2015):

This is my most recent model, a weapon for Abaddon:
43pqEyKjpg

Replies

• Swaggernaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggernaut polycounter lvl 2
    Got any concept we can look at?
  • Kihlstrand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kihlstrand polycounter lvl 7
    Yes, a concept would be fabolous to see! Easier to give critique if we know what you are aiming for. :)
  • BaneOfInsanity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only have some basic concepts on paper and they dont rly look similar. Its mostly inspired by Abaddons Lore and the war against the Nerubians. The blade is Nyx's claw, the piece above it is from Nyx's helmet. The stuff at the back is Nyx's Jaws and a foot, mby :D

zHZMcNZ.jpg
  • BohSheh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BohSheh polycounter lvl 9
    interesting , I wonder how are you gonna place the color
  • BaneOfInsanity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will just use this as some form of learning blog. So, I started drawing a texture for the mesh, and well, it looks bad.

c2AozS6.jpg

I can somewhat passable draw in black and white but my understanding for color is extremly lacking. But this doesn't only show me that im shit, but it helped me to understand why you create a high poly mesh before. A lot of thise cravices in the blade and depth perception are hard to draw when you are not skilled, whereas with a high poly mesh I could the shadows that are naturally casted. So I guess this weapon will not be continued until I finish my next mesh.

Another interesting thing I learned is that I need to make the details far bigger and more easily spotable from a distand. The weapon will never be seen from that close so I need to keep that in mind while modelling it.
  • BohSheh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BohSheh polycounter lvl 9
    there is various good guide online to guide you on various aspect on content making . You must have an 3d idea in mind before even starting a model .

you should worry about how to model the details first before doing the texture since it will be aided with baking .

Try searching hard surface modelling since it is considered an easy way to learn the basics , at least for me .
  • BaneOfInsanity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips, BohSheh, I appreciate it :) Yea, I knew that and used a bit in that low poly model.

So, Yesterday evening I started with a high poly version. Now my Eyes hurt. When the last bit from the handle is finished I will start with sculpting more details. Sadly it isnt as intuitive in blender as I had hoped and I feel like it needs a ton of work to actually achieve what I want with blenders tools, but we will see :D

HBzRZoy.png
  • BaneOfInsanity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The highpoly mesh is finished, atleast to the degree I feel I can finish it :D
    I will probably revisit this weapon at a later point and try to texture it again, but for now I don't feel confident enough in my skills to do that to a degree that would satisfy me.

t61gvim.png
  • BaneOfInsanity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't stop working on the weapon :D

Have the LowPoly Mesh rdy (actually, the second one) and now I despair at trying to project the render from the High Poly to the Low Poly mesh
    fpdIpzM.png
  • BaneOfInsanity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am in desperate need of help. Texturing seems to be my achilles heel. I finished the model for my courier, but no I have no real clue how to continue. So I will move on for now and try to animate it. Would be great when someone out there is willing to help me out.

Here is its current state and the concept. Enjoy, i guess?

• Swaggernaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggernaut polycounter lvl 2
    Not bad for a model, but just do the same thing you did with the sword; sculpt some details then bake some maps. using Valve's texture guide is really the best way for a beginner to learn how to texture models easily
  • BaneOfInsanity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tip, I will do this next.

Okey, and another progress picture. The Model is finished and rigged. The Arms are will be used in various Animations. When I finished those, I will need to learn how to do particles, yay! Now I am working more or less on the textures. I am still looking for someone to help, because I know for sure that I won't be capable of creating any good looking texture.