Home Unreal Engine

The wonders of technical art (Unreal Engine)

Replies

• Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura godlike master sticky
    There was a video about stadia and they were streaming the latest tomb raider game. From what I remember, they stated that they used a 15mb internet to do that and the playback was around 24-30 fps. That sounds acceptable for me. I also live in a third world country as you may know, but around here, people with ok amount of money can access from 500mb up to 2 gb internet. I know that this isn't accessible everywhere but 15 mb really doesn't sound that much to me. Also, consider this. Buying a next gan console would cost you a lot. But you are already paying some sort of an internet connection. Upgrading it to a higher speed one (if accessible) wouldn't really cost you much more on a long run than buying some next gen hardware which would get replaced eventually anyways. So I have big hopes in this. It would make a lot of sense.
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 8
    I still feel consoles are better. My ps2 still works to this day and its something that I can keep because I own it and it brings back good memories. Having something internet based isn't something u can own. What about the games? I am not sure whether u can have an original copy of the games. I understand this is a move towards making things more streamlined but its still a limited idea because if one doesn't have much money, u can always save for a ps5 and use it forever till it breaks down i guess.
    U are right most services are moving towards internet based. U no longer need to worry about hardware. That is a big plus. So devs are no longer limited by hardware restrictions. I wonder what Playstation and Xbox execs think about this. But how would devs make money from this, share revenue with google? Or players pay a subscription fee for the stadia service and also pay for the game? I also gather it is linux based. No window users?
    and maybe ads running while u play games?
    I still prefer consoles or pc tbh.
  • Obscura
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Ray marching slowed down.

• Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    More RTX lighting tests:

* A Megascans asset was used.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    And another one:

• rexo12
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 polycounter lvl 3
    Obscura said:
    Testing some toon shading. Trying to get that 70s sci fi illustration look.

This is sick, really like it!
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    A test with soft shadows in 2d. Ray marching the opacity works nicely, and penumbra can be done without additional samples, using dithering.

• Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
  • walter
    Offline / Send Message
    walter polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks Obscura for your Raytracing feedbacks .
    My tests in UE4 with Raytracing activated aren't yet conclusive...

• TheGabmeister
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister greentooth
    Obscura said:
    Here is a list of current issues with ray tracing that I encountered during my experiments:
    Very nice summary. I'm interested in playing around with ray tracing. After seeing the limitations you mentioned, might as well wait a little bit more for the issues to be fixed.
  • Pangahas
    Offline / Send Message
    Pangahas polycounter lvl 10
    Obscura said:

Would you mind sharing the shader for this?
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello @Pangahas, thanks for checking in. Its actually nothing magical. I just take the lighting, and apply a ramp with a few points on it. This gives me the main cell shading. Then I apply the diagonal lines on the shadowed pixels. There is also a subtle outline using the classic post process based method.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin interpolator
    Thx for sharing your findings! I'm lacking the proper hardware atm but I'll keep an eye on your thread!
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    In 4.23, instanced static meshes - foliage - are supported by ray tracing. 

In my previous foliage heavy rtx scenes, I used a custom procedural foliage volume with simple static meshes, because instances weren't supported.
  • Obscura
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 8
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing said:
    ^Real nice
    Which one?
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a collaboration with my friend and ex-colleague, Dejan Sljivic, who is an aspiring hard surface artist. Check out his work here:
    https://www.artstation.com/sljiva
    We took his last work, and I've put it in different settings and environments, and re-rendered it, using RTX in Unreal Engine. Ray traced soft shadows, skylight, global illumination, and reflections were used. The background assets are all from Megascans.
    Enjoy!

Magazine kind of shots:

Studio lighting shots:

• Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    My entry for the Sol remix contest by NVIDIA. I enjoyed working on this a lot.

• Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress timeline:

• demigodssw
    Offline / Send Message
    demigodssw polycounter lvl 5
    Obscura said:
    Did a collaboration with my friend and ex-colleague, Dejan Sljivic, who is an aspiring hard surface artist. Check out his work here:
    https://www.artstation.com/sljiva
    We took his last work, and I've put it in different settings and environments, and re-rendered it, using RTX in Unreal Engine. Ray traced soft shadows, skylight, global illumination, and reflections were used. The background assets are all from Megascans.
    Enjoy!

Magazine kind of shots:

Studio lighting shots:

Excellent stuff! Does rtx totally replaces the need for baked lighting?
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    @demigodssw - Hi. That really depends on your goals, but the way I use it in my projects, yes, it completely replaces it. Generally speaking, the more rtx features you enable, the more expensive it becomes. I usually enable all the features I could ray trace in my personal projects, so its usually reflections, shadows and gi, with usually more than 1 sample per pixel. This results in a framerate that is not acceptable in most games (around 30 fps) but I just want nice renders. However, there are more and more games coming out that features one or more rtx features, so I believe that multiple features at once will be totally playable in the next generation of rtx videocards.

Here is a performance example put on a 2080ti -> a moderately complex environment scene with a directional light with ray traced shadow (1 spp) and gi with 1 bounce enabled (1 spp again) could easily run on around 60 fps or more on 1080p resolution. Ray traced shadows turns out to be fairly cheap and barely affect fps even when you crank up the amount of samples. Reflections and gi can be more expensive, and when you use multiple bounces or multiple samples on them, the price of them can go up to the sky so generally its a good idea to keep these values as low as possible. Reflections can also fall back to reflection probes / ssr after a certain roughness threshold, so you can set rough surfaces to use the oldschool method to save some performance.
  • demigodssw
    Offline / Send Message
    demigodssw polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you for the detailed explanation. I will also be using RTX for my personal work. Seems like no more time will be wasted on baked lighting now. Thanks for the example too it will be useful for my next project. :)
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo interpolator
    These look stunning hey, well done Kristof!
  • ClapfootAdam
    Offline / Send Message
    ClapfootAdam polycounter lvl 3
    These are awesome!
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Wip too. Same scene, different camera. No rtx here, this scene supposed to run smooth in vr.

• WitchDev
    Offline / Send Message
    WitchDev node
    Sorry, I've misunderstood the thread title, see the reply below.
    Didn't want to highjack a personal thread. :)
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    @WitchDev - Thats really cool, but this is my sketchbook thread and a general place for stuff I make using Unreal. Just mentioning because I'm not sure if you just wanted to inform me, or you thought this is like a waywo for Unreal. There is one like that one the very top of the unreal engine section, but its pretty much dead.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Plant stuff again:

• macoll
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 9
    Very cool stuff here, gratz. The test at Digic really looks like a game trailer from Blur  ^^
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Wip scene using mostly Megascans, loosely based on the main menu from Warcraft 3.

• Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
  • ant1fact
    Offline / Send Message
    ant1fact polycounter lvl 7
    Is that a ray-marching character defined by a bunch of textures? I find that absolutely mind-blowing!
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    @ant1fact - No its done using a single texture. The slices are laid out like a flipbook. Its shown on the left side of the gif. This is a standard for handling volumetric data in Unreal for now.