Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Soup Scene

Here's a little something I've been working on. It started as Romak 3 modeling, turned into a character holding the gun and eventually led to an entire scene.

Modeling done on 3DS Max, sculpting in Mudbox. Textures in photoshop and Substance painter & designer.
Scene was rendered in Toolbag 2.

Scene.jpg
Material.jpg
Scene_clay.jpg
Scene_WF.jpg

Replies

• Kebab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated to newest version and made the topic title more accurate.
    Working on a character render, though the character will for now be quite bland to stand on its own.

Feedback would be appreciated, thanks.
  • GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    This looks good man, i like the lighting. As a full composition it does come off as a bit noisy though. May want to play with the normals a bit.
  • Kebab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really appreciate your feedback!

I think I see what you mean - comparing to the rest of the assets, brick, asphalt and the AC are very noisy due to the normal map being so overpowering.

I've toned down the normal maps on the problem assets:
    Scenev1%2C2.jpg
  • Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    The sign above the shop that says 'food' is really difficult to see, whereas the graffiti in the top right is too distracting and could be toned down/worn to be less saturated.
  • clinington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clinington polycounter lvl 10
    Tectonic wrote: »
    The sign above the shop that says 'food' is really difficult to see, whereas the graffiti in the top right is too distracting and could be toned down/worn to be less saturated.

Agree. The graffiti at the top looks too 'clean'. I didn't even notice that sign said Food until reading this comment. I think if you tone down the graffiti and make it look more worn and also make the food sign a lot bolder it will make a big difference overall. Nice progress so far though!
  • clinington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, just noticed that the proportions of your dumpster look a little too exaggerated. The slope of the lids is quite extreme at the moment. Check out this reference to see what I mean: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4c/Dumpster-non.JPG
  • Kebab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic wrote: »
    clinington wrote: »
    Agree. The graffiti at the top looks too 'clean'. I didn't even notice that sign said Food until reading this comment. I think if you tone down the graffiti and make it look more worn and also make the food sign a lot bolder it will make a big difference overall. Nice progress so far though!

Thanks for the feedback!

Scenev1%2C3.jpg

Adjusted opacity for the graffiti (also turned the tessellation back on for the asphalt):
    Scenev1%2C4.jpg

Changes:
    Desaturated the rainbow doggy graffiti.
    Adjusted food sign paint colours.
    Adjusted food sign's text roughness and metalness.
    Added a cloud layer over the graffiti alpha to make the graffitis paint less even (2nd pic).

I still don't quite like the text color. I might go back and make it lighter... The reason I made it that way is to avoid the sign from becoming the centerpiece of the scene rather than just a piece of detail added into the wall to make it more appealing.
    I quite liked the fact that you noticed that bit of detail after looking at the scene a bit harder. :) Or maybe I'm just crazy - you tell me. :polytwitch:
    Also, just noticed that the proportions of your dumpster look a little too exaggerated. The slope of the lids is quite extreme at the moment. Check out this reference to see what I mean: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4c/Dumpster-non.JPG

I used a different design for the dumpsters. I modeled the scene to real life dimensions so I could take full advantage of any real life dumpster dimensions I could find on the internet. I picked a design I liked and altered the design a bit to mix couple of different kind of dumpsters that were similar.

I think I used 8-Cubic-Yard dumbster blueprint, looking back:
    8-Cubic-Yard.png

EDIT: Double checked and yes, the slope is identical to this dumpster design.

Here's a version of the scene with better readability for the food text while allowing it to hide itself to the scene itself.

Scenev1%2C5.jpg

I prefer this version, what's your pick?
  • clinington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The scene looks better overall. I still think the dumpster looks a little stylised. With that said though, I have now seen a couple of bins on google that look more like your version so I'll shut up :D
  • blinKX10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blinKX10 polycounter lvl 7
    I feel like the "Food" writing should be a different color, it would help balancing out the composition. Currently my eye keeps going to the right because of how much it contrasts with the very red left side.

Not sure if this is intentional but it looks like the bay area is made with newer brick from the rest of the building. It is a more saturated red, compared to the more brown brick that the rest of the building is made of.
  • Kebab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The scene looks better overall. I still think the dumpster looks a little stylised. With that said though, I have now seen a couple of bins on google that look more like your version so I'll shut up :D

Just about every model in the scene have been stylized a bit, because I quite enjoy making that kind of art. :) Anyway thanks for your input, I appreciated it. :thumbup:

blinKX10 wrote: »
    I feel like the "Food" writing should be a different color, it would help balancing out the composition. Currently my eye keeps going to the right because of how much it contrasts with the very red left side.

Not sure if this is intentional but it looks like the bay area is made with newer brick from the rest of the building. It is a more saturated red, compared to the more brown brick that the rest of the building is made of.

I hear ya! I hoped the grass on top would lead the eye away from there. Something blue would definitely lead the eye to the sign but I don't want the sign to become the centerpiece. I tried couple of things but the board and the pallet worked best with the clean brick so I decided to go with that and let the picture breathe a bit.

The idea I started the project with was at first suppose to be a night scene with fire lit inside the loading dock area. The beams coming out of the room surrounded by moonlight made sure it would become the centerpiece. I didn't get the lighting to a point where I liked it so I scrapped that idea in favor of day scene where you could see everything much better.
    env_clay02.jpg