Home Technical Talk

Level Design - which way?

asdaq
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
asdaq polycounter lvl 4
Hello!

Brief:
I am freelance 3D artist focused mainly on mobile games. I want to expand my skills towards AAA-ish level design and then start shhoting for a position of a Level Designer.

Goal: invent, design and create playable level for single player game.

Goal of this thread: me learning new stuff. I'd appreciate any help and guidance.

So far:

1. I have lots of sketches and schemes. THe idea is there. Now I'd like to start creating it.
I started with Unreal Engine.
For the part of the level design focused on 3D spacing, composition and layout - it's great. Although I don't see how I could design and test: pacing and overall gameplay value of my ideas.
(For instance: In FPS mode I planned some climbing section but it will take very long time for me to learn how to implement something like that. Don't get me wrong - I'm up for the challenge, I just want to choose my battles).

2. Next thought was to to create a mod for a already existing game. And here I am a bit stuck: for which game? In terms which game has the best modding tools available looking from level design standpoint.

So to sum up: If you're level designer and you'd like to create a level to show off your skills - how would you do it?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. For now the thread is not that much of a Technical Talk but I hope it will become one quite soon.

Replies

• WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    invent, design and create playable level for single player game.
    The first step would be to find a game you like to play. A game you've played a lot and know the gameplay ins and outs of. Make sure it's a game that has an editor available you can use.

Say, Half-Life 2 for example. You can't be an effective level designer without intimately knowing the gameplay that will take place within the space you're designing so that's the first step.
  • asdaq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    asdaq polycounter lvl 4
    Hey guys, thanks for the responses! I will dig into the mods thing.

About it being tough to show level design skills: I have few ideas how to distinguish myself from the rest of the crowd. Will see how it goes.