Home Technical Talk

Better for 3d character modeling? 3ds or Maya?

onyichi
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
onyichi polycounter lvl 7
I want to become a character designer and I'd like to learn how to model in 3D. I am getting the hang of sculpting in Zbrush and am using Digital tutors as a guide.

I hear 3ds is easier for modeling but I am more familiar with Maya. I'm still a a novice modeler and am willing to learn 3ds Max too.

So which is better for character modeling or just modeling?

Maya or 3DS Max?

Replies

• peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Do like i did 17 years ago, learn 3dsMax and Maya all together and enjoy the ride.
  • onyichi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onyichi polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah I'm gonna start watching the DT videos for 3DS tonight!
  • Indik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indik polycounter lvl 9
    Both are good enough. I feel Maya is a bit better for characters because of better symmetry tools, better brushes and sculpting and retopo.
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Honestly, not much of a difference. There's nothing about Max or Maya that makes each better for a certain kind of modeling.

It comes down to preference. Do you want to be deliberate and precise? 3DS Max. Do you want to be streamlined and fast, but a bit sloppy? Maya.
  • Nox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nox polycounter lvl 5
    Most of the work when modeling a character is done in ZBrush, so it does not really matter.
  • PixelDevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelDevil null
    I had that same question too until I started learning other things for class. I found that Maya is better with character, especially in rigging. Max I had to fight with rigging but... to me it is better and more intuitive for environment. As far as particle systems/dynamics are concerned (if you wanted to specialize in that), Bifrost was easy to use but fell short in the presets. You have more control in some instances. However, 3DS Max has Mass FX and Rayfire plugin that made collisions a whole lot easier. I think it really boils down to what job you're aiming for and what jobs in that specialization use the most. In any case, it's good to know both. Someone who taught at my school and works for Dreamworks told me to go get the Autodesk certifications for Max and Maya. He said it helps to put on your resume.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Nox wrote: »
    Most of the work when modeling a character is done in ZBrush, so it does not really matter.

sculpting yes, modelling nope
  • Nox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nox polycounter lvl 5
    Sculpting obviously, I just use word modeling for both.
  • andreinojosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For tools i´ve tried Maya and Max and i prefer max because has more "shortcut modeling tools" aka modifiers. But i guess you will have to try both to see which one you like the most.

Sculpting, Zbrush.

And if you want to be a character designer, i really suggest learning human anatomy, Fashion, fashion history and etc, to learn how to construct and deconstruct.