Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Model For 3D Print Critique

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Recursive Sweatpants polycounter lvl 4
Hello! I want to make a 3D print of a model of mine, so I went and posed him in ZBrush. Since getting him printed will likely be very expensive, I want to make sure there isn't anything that looks off about the anatomy, the pose, etc. So what do you guys think? Is there anything I should fix before I try getting this thing printed?

Replies

• Topperr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Topperr polycounter lvl 6
    Hey there, I used to work for a 3D printing company doing characters among other things and the thing that sticks out to me first is that with this pose you will end up with quite a lot of support material, this is all essentially waste as it is required to prop up elements such as the arms of your model and any piece that has >40 degree angle. Also watch out for pieces of the model that aren't very thick as printing generally requires at least a minimum thickness of 1mm though I wouldn't recommend having many pieces this thin.

So depending on the size of the model you are planning to print I can see that the teeth, horns, ears, fingertips could all end up being too small to get a correct print out.

Well that's my view on the print, for the model itself you have the basics of muscle anatomy but I would look at some reference images just to get it more accurate. For example the muscles on the arms and the thigh area need work and the torso looks to be a bit blocky. One small other thing is that the head looks very much different to the rest of the body making me feel that it is just stuck on rather than attached to the rest. I think this is because of the sharp and smooth lines you have used to define it.

I'm no expert on anatomy but these are just my thoughts. Hope it helps, keep going.
  • Recursive Sweatpants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Recursive Sweatpants polycounter lvl 4
    I see. Would closing the hands into fists and simplifying the teeth into a single, thicker mesh help with the thinness problem? I'm not too worried about the support material, as I am printing at my university and I can get one object printed for free for taking a ZBrush class last semester.

As for the head being different from the body, a friend of mine said the same thing. I'm not that experienced of a modeler yet, so I'm having a hard time seeing the difference myself. How could I fix the head or the body to make it match the other in style?