Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

HEDGEWITCH - stylized lowpoly game concept

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
drysider polycounter lvl 9
Hi everyone! In my down time I'm currently working on a little stylized project of mine called 'Hedgewitch.' I'm pretty noob when it comes to developing in an engine so while I'm approaching this with the idea that it would be a playable game, in reality it'll probably just end with me throwing the assets into Unreal and praying for some demonic miracle haha.

Hedgewitch is a farming sim and management project where the player is a young witch trying to get her footing in the world. It draws a lot of inspiration from the Harvest Moon and Rune Factory series, Fantasy Life and Kiki's Delivery service. You play as Blubell, who has just moved into a town lacking a local witch, and your goal is to farm your land to produce magical plants to craft potions and spells, while helping the village locals, selling your goods and making a name for yourself. I'd like to imagine it would also include exploration, combat and questing. Possibly monster taming as well (eg needing to harvest honey from a fairy hive to create a new potion, collecting molted feathers and scales from your cockatrice) and a complex crafting system where you could develop your own unique spells and potions based on ingredients.

At the moment I'm playing around with the style and ideas. If you have suggestions for things you'd like to imagine would be in the 'game,' or asset ideas for me to model, throw them my way!

tumblr_nsaxm4Hpe51qgjj8do1_1280.png

leith-raddatz-blubellwires.jpg?1438257082

leith-raddatz-hedgewitchplants.jpg?1438248700

leith-raddatz-treesheet.jpg?1438171719

leith-raddatz-bluebellsheet.jpg?1437454361

This was her first costume design but wasn't very happy with it, I didn't feel it was witchy enough and was too complex.

tumblr_nroi2tXLUY1qgjj8do1_500.gif

tumblr_nrkxexnX0L1qgjj8do1_500.png

Replies

• foreverlost
    The character and esp the tree are so cute! Maybe start on some modular town enviro stuff? Some large special crops would also be good.

Scope control does a body good, so you should consider how much you want this to be crafting and farming versus needing to also design a combat system etc. How many people are working on this?
  • Lukitscherie
    Offline / Send Message
    Lukitscherie polycounter lvl 8
    Aw I love that kind of games :3 Good luck with all that.

Looks very cute, I love the artstyle. Isn't your character way too high poly though?

The eyes and mouth look like something you could do on a texture on separate faces and change with an animation, and even if you want to animate her face by moving vertices it shouldn't be necessary to model the iris like that.

I understand you want to keep simple light textures but it seems to me you'll end up with super heavy models. (then again I don't know much in general)
  • foreverlost
    I think Lukitscherie is probably on point regarding the heavy models. The REALLY low res textures are awesome though.
  • MattyWS
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    If its for mobile you're better off adding geometry over textures anyway. Mobile devices are surprisingly good at calculating a lot of verts but less so at using textures, which eats up memory. Of course there is a balance to some extent but I think what you've got is fine.
  • drysider
    Offline / Send Message
    drysider polycounter lvl 9
    Hi guys, thanks for the comments!

The character in particular is fairly high poly considering the style; that's because of the texturing technique I'm using. Basically I model out areas that are going to be specific colours on the mesh, and when unwrapping I reduce the uv island down as much as I can on the pixel texture sheet. This makes the colours REALLY crisp and smooth and means I can use a tiny diffuse while still getting a lot of style in. But because of that, I cant really texture any details in on the diffuse map itself, I have to actually model in the geometry. That's why her eyes have so many polys - they're actually pieces of floating geometry overlapping so I can have nice colour on them.

(Some assets like the bottle and spellbook are higher res so I can include readable text in)

I guess the style is not actually very low poly, it's more like I'm trying to FAKE a low poly look with the texturing. I really want to find a balance between simple shapes and detail, I usually do a lot of detailed handpainted stuff so the challenge is really refreshing!

As for the game scope, I'm not actually intending to make a full playable game out of it. At most I'd like to come up with a semi-playable demo, with an environment you can run around in as the character. I don't know enough programming and engine stuff to accomplish it myself, so my scope is kind of a pretend 'If I was going to seriously make this a game this is what I'd like to include!'
  • pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    These models are fine for mobile, I'd say there is some waste here and there, but a lot of this depends on your game camera angle, (meaning if it's 3/4 view like typical farmville/city builder fare your golden.)

Too funny, I actually prefer the first version of the witch you did. Wouldn't mind seeing a bit more separation of the different elements. I'm talking about shading or tinting....example: The boots have a folded over top below the knee, I'd love to see a lighter gray used for that element to contrast the main part of the boot. The model looks too flat and would benefit some subtle shading and darkening around joints. Are you using any sort of vert shading? I'd highly recommend you vertex color sections of your models. You'll get a lot of milage out of your textures, and honestly there isn't anything you haven't done thus far that couldn't be all vertex color. I'd research vertex chameleon, it's a great plug-in and allows you to easily darken verts and change hue/saturation of your model.

Good luck, keep going, I want to see some of those environments!