Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

7306 Dorm [UE4]

Anngelica
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Anngelica polycounter lvl 10
FINAL:
xMTw7sy.jpg

So I found this concept on one of the old Monthly Noob Challenge concept threads and thought I'd give it a shot. I've had some trouble recreating the perspective but I've tried to get as close as I can. I'll keep playing with it as I go. For now I'm probably going to start adding in normal details with ndo2 and then start the texturing process.

Any and all criticism is appreciated, please, thank you!

CONCEPT:
ihCpGxf.jpg

CURRENT:
XO0AKtc.jpg

Replies

• Anngelica
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update, starting to put more of the textures in place. Any and all crit is welcome.

8Bd691c.jpg
  • ferrettank
    Offline / Send Message
    ferrettank polycounter lvl 2
    I love it! Very interesting scene :), Although for the wear and tear: The floors should have more scratches then the the walls.

Keep up the good work!
  • Anngelica
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I'll add some detail to the floors for sure! Thanks for the suggestion :D
  • clinington
    Offline / Send Message
    clinington polycounter lvl 10
    The light on the left above the doorway at the back of the room seems to be doing something funny. Other than that, great progress. Just needs some more dirt :D
  • Anngelica
    Offline / Send Message
    I can go ahead and post another progress shot today, I think. As for the funny light in the back, I might need to pull it toward the wall a little more, so it isn't blocked by the metal?

I'm gonna focus on getting the showers textured next. I've also gotten some suggestions from others to break up the symmetry of the scene with lockers or chests and I agree that it could add some interest, even if it means deviating from the concept art more than I already have.

Thanks to both of you for the comments!

HxeQvJ0.jpg
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd like to see stains on the wall from the vents on the metal wall things. Extra wear on the floor from people walking around, sliding the beds, etc. More glossy parts on the walls and props where people would touch and leave oil. I think there should be something on the ground where the room leads to the showers, there's something there in the concept. Grime where the copper meets the black tubing. Some indication of storage would be good, there has to be somewhere towels and blankets are kept. To me in the concept, that top middle bar looks like a track where a camera or bot thing goes from the front to the back of the room, I feel that's a bit more interesting and a possible point of visual interest.
  • clinington
    Offline / Send Message
    clinington polycounter lvl 10
    Anngelica wrote: »
    As for the funny light in the back, I might need to pull it toward the wall a little more, so it isn't blocked by the metal?

Yeah, I think if you do that the light will look better. A bit like in the first untextured render that you did. I personally liked the lighting better in that shot :D
  • Staubkopf
    Offline / Send Message
    Staubkopf polycounter lvl 3
    Hi Anngelica

Your scene looks very good, nice job. How did you create the lighting?
  • Anngelica
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, so little update. Tried to add more scuffs along the floor to show more wear, added more grunge in general. Working on the crates in front of the beds now and then moving onto the lockers (the big black blocks along the walls).

I haven't forgotten about the camera on the track that you suggested, ZacD, I'll definitely be making that prominent. Hopefully I've fixed the weird light issue that you mentioned, clinington.

Thanks Staubkopf! I just used the regular point lights with a longer source length on top of emissive materials, with bloom and global illumination.

oF2ZziH.jpg
  • St4lis
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Cool. Looks really depressing, but really cool.

Some thoughs:

The feet of the beds look a bit strange, I would expect the diagonal bars to attach directly to the side of the leg rather than to go all the way to the floor.

Those aren't pillows, right? Because if the are, I would expect them to be at the other end of the bed, under the bed light. If they are blankets (which would make more sense) you should probably make them look folded.

Also, what is this scene supposed to depict? Is this an unpleasant place for prisoners, or just barren place for workers? If it's the former, I would expect there to be bunk beds or something, since they seem to get a lot of unnecessary personal space at the moment. If it's the latter, some proper pillows, some personal stuff, or just a personal light switch for the bed light would make sense.

Its looking good though.
  • Anngelica
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so new update. I might be finished with it - I might make some changes if anyone has further suggestions.

Thanks St4lis for the thoughts! The design of the beds, including legs and pillow placement, were originally just straight from the concept. I moved the pillows under the light instead as you suggested and it sells a lot better. As for the scene in general, the feeling I got from the concept was that it was fairly recently emptied dormitory for workers, maybe within a year, which why all of the personal belongings are gone. I've grunged it up considerably so at this point it's probably been left for much longer. I should still add in some light switches, for sure.

aWIwsma.jpg
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    just a few small crits, but overall the scene looks nice - would be kool to go further add some personal items ontop of the boxes or something. The crits i'm suggesting are just to match the concept, you may have taken your own route :)

The showers heights are slightly too low

The text on the glass is slightly too small and off centre, it doesn't look like readable height and i can barely make out what it says. in addition, its perfectly clean... maybe add some very slight smudges or something.

the entrance on the concept (on the right hand side) has a another form that sticks out, it makes the entrance seem less empty rather then two rectangles... in addition the black strip on yours is too small.

I think your lights look abit bright now.. your original brightness seemed perfect ;)