Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Project Monster

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Recursive Sweatpants polycounter lvl 4
Hello! I've been taking some classes on modeling, and on the side I've slowly been working on this character of mine. I don't have any concept art of him aside from some crappy DeviantArt drawings I made back in highschool, so most of his design was improvised as I went.

I'm happy with it for the most part, but I don't know how to fix the seams for his normal maps (most noticeable around his deltoids and base of the tail). I baked the normals from a high-res version of the model in ZBrush and have fiddled with most of the options for it, but I haven't been able to get it to play nice with the seams. Looking around I haven't been able to find a solution short of painting them manually in Photoshop (and even that apparently isn't all that viable for fixing normals anyway).

That aside, any critique and feedback is welcome!

Here he is in his neutral/relaxed pose for rigging:
project_model_unposed_by_yoshermon-d915wtv.png

And these are some test renders I made in Maya:
project_monster_in_3d_by_yoshermon-d90ibfz.png
a_friendly_looking_guy_by_yoshermon-d90iop9.png

Lastly, you can view him up on Sketchfab as well:
[SKETCHFAB]b474b431f36346c59108975377bb7945[/SKETCHFAB]

What do you guys think?

Replies

• Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    I recommend throwing up a couple of stills as well, took about one minute to load the model in the 3D browser which is far too long for most people to wait for when browsing the forums.

There's multiple ways you can paint him. One would be to be directly on the UVs in a 2d painting program like photoshop, although that usually requires that you unwrapped him well enough in a way that makes your life easy to paint on in 2D versus a bunch of islands of all sizes everywhere. The other way is to paint him in a 3D painting program like polypaint in Zbrush, using substance painter, 3D Coat, mudbox, etc.
  • Recursive Sweatpants
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick wrote: »
    I recommend throwing up a couple of stills as well, took about one minute to load the model in the 3D browser which is far too long for most people to wait for when browsing the forums.

There's multiple ways you can paint him. One would be to be directly on the UVs in a 2d painting program like photoshop, although that usually requires that you unwrapped him well enough in a way that makes your life easy to paint on in 2D versus a bunch of islands of all sizes everywhere. The other way is to paint him in a 3D painting program like polypaint in Zbrush, using substance painter, 3D Coat, mudbox, etc.

Oh, sorry about that! I'll edit the original post with some images in a bit.

I already have him UV'd and I painted his texture in ZBrush. I'm saying that the normal map's seams are visible on the model and I don't know how to fix it, since I generate the map from ZBrush itself rather than by hand.
  • Recursive Sweatpants
    Offline / Send Message
    ...Does anyone have any other feedback? Anything at all about the renders, the topology, how I can fix the aforementioned normal map seams? I know I'm not asking for anything specific, but it would be nice to get some kind of comment on it at least.