Home Marmoset

Marmoset viewer texture issues.

loggie24
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
Hi.

I tried to upload an asset i made onto Artstation using the marmoset viewer. The problem is that the colors are a bit screwed up, it has a pink tint to it some places and the layer viewer shows some really wierd texture maps. There is also a seam on the leather handle which i don't get anywhere else (3DO for example doesn't show anything). Anything i have missed?

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/axe_viewer_test

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, I'm not seeing a pink tint here, could you post a screenshot? Could you post a screenshot of what it looks like in Toolbag 2, along with your material setup as well?

Can you be more specific about what is weird about the texture maps? On export, the textures are converted to a standard shader model (specular workflow), so if you're using the metalness workflow the textures will look different. More on this here: http://www.marmoset.co/viewer/support

It looks like the seam is in the normal map content. Have you made sure to set the correct tangent space in Toolbag 2? Are you certain the scene is not visible on Toolbag 2?

Thanks
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just to clarify, pink tint is only on the viewer file, not the first picture which was shot in 3DO.

Here is the axe in Toolbag 2

screenshot003_zpsdikzxb93.png

I'm using specular workflow. The seam is only visible during certain sky presets for some reason and not visible in 3DO.

Material setup

Untitled-2_zpsqgymtwnl.png
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah I think I see what you're seeing with the color, it looks like texture compression artifacts. On export, the textures are compressed to jpeg format to keep the file size low/improve loading times. If you set the quality to unreasonable it will use the best quality compression.

Also, try setting the tangent space object in the mesh object's properties to the app where you baked the normal map.
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have it set to unreasonable, yet it gives me those bad artifacts. Not sure what else to do.

That tangent space fix worked as well, no more seams :)!

Thanks!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately there isn't anything more you can do to improve compression artifacts then.

However, it does appear that your materials are not really set up in a logical manner. For your metallic areas, the diffuse is much much too bright, while the spec is much too dark. Typically, metals have near zero diffuse (diffuse is basically black) while reflectivity tends to be in the 70-100% (very bright) range.

Additionally, you appear to have two distict areas of different brightness in the diffuse map for the blade, this doesn't make much sense either. Generally, the sharp section of the blade would be more smooth/polished, so this difference would be represented in the gloss map, not the diffuse or specular.

Tweaking your material properties to more accurately reflect how they are in the real world would probably make your compression artifacts go away. I hope this helps!