New personal piece

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o09IZ_FKSR8[/ame]

All_Shots1.jpg

Engine: Unreal 4
Software: Maya, Zbrush, Photoshop, Xnormal
Music: Gem Club - Polly http://www.last.fm/music/Gem+Club
Ref: I used Atomhawk Harry Potter Wonderbook concept as a quide to start with:
http://atomhawk.com/case-study/book-of-spells

Used one of the flames from this FXpack and heavily modified it -> Seen in the middle. Everything else is self-made.

Will post wires if anyone like to see, but low polys are quite basic. All modular pieces are basically flat planes with slight tesselation applied.

Some Hi-poly and process shots

All_Process.jpg
All_Shots3.jpg

I am currently looking for a new job if anyone is interested in hiring. Other than that love all the feedback, thank you for your time!

Replies

• jyoti457
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice information ..
  • jyoti457
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the sharing this useful info .
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Cool stuff, really liking the sculpts and layout overall!

The one thing I'd might focus on is bringing in a little bit more varation or passes on the materials for some of the objects, especially the stone walls and floor. Currently it kind of looks like a matcap versus a fully textured material, so I'd probably try and introduce some more color varation in the textures themselves.

I'd also either very very subtly brighten the sky a tiny tiny bit, or slightly darken the intensity of the light coming from the sky, as right now it kind of looks to me like the sunlight hitting the floor is too bright/high contrast to be coming from that foggy sky. I could be crazy though, as lighting can be tweaked until the end of time, just something to think about.

Keep it up! :D
  • esDeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick wrote: »
    Cool stuff, really liking the sculpts and layout overall!

The one thing I'd might focus on is bringing in a little bit more varation or passes on the materials for some of the objects, especially the stone walls and floor. Currently it kind of looks like a matcap versus a fully textured material, so I'd probably try and introduce some more color varation in the textures themselves.

I'd also either very very subtly brighten the sky a tiny tiny bit, or slightly darken the intensity of the light coming from the sky, as right now it kind of looks to me like the sunlight hitting the floor is too bright/high contrast to be coming from that foggy sky. I could be crazy though, as lighting can be tweaked until the end of time, just something to think about.

Keep it up! :D

Thx for the feedback, much appreciated! Color variation sounds great, did not really cross my mind when working on this. Will definitely try it out. Thx!
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    Very cool stuff man!
    there are a few things thought that i think would hep the scene immensely

8vkqupM.jpg

-you need to push your materials alot of them seem flat and lack definition, for example the rocks could be soo much better! i love the detail done on the inner ring by the fire,but where is the color variation, the dirt the grim? right now they feel like clay.
    7UyxKv1.jpg
    look at these rocks...i know they are out side but look at all the color variations that adds detail and character to the rocks. Also your grout is like a mirror? I would do something similar to the pic above, your going to have tons of dirt and debris in that grout which would give this scene soo much character and detail!

-i feel you need to push the lighting, i feel upping the bounce lighting would help the scene alot, for example you focus on the chair and it is poorly lit i cant see any detail in it at all, all that hard work you did...not shown off :(

-i the fire needs some work, its to transparent for most of the shot....unless that is what your going for :) lol but i would add some secondary effect like embers and what not...i know its a magic fire so you don't have to add smoke but the supporting effects i and work on the transparent nature of it would aid it alot :D

-one last thing, if your going to do 1 continuous camera move smooth it out it is very chopping and jarring in its current state, i would recommend multiple shorter cuts to show off the piece
  • esDeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The reason why I avoided adding too much detail and dirt was that the floor is heavily modular and thus the detail and dirt would possible make the modular pieces look bad from afar. But using decals to add some variation could easily work, will look into that.

Previously I had the focal point pointed at the chair and later moved it to the middle. When I tried to light up the chair, it immediately ruined the focal point in the middle. Also naturally there is not anything to light it, so would have to add a light source. But I definitely get what you mean, I did put some effort to make that chair but now I am sacrificing some of that detail for the greater good. Of course I could play with the lighting to make the scene slightly brighter so that the detail would show. Will look into that.

The middle ground have some water/magic whatever in the cracks and hence the mirror like look, kinda pushed it to make it more apparent. Tried to bring some story in the scene.
    Could tweak the wet material, will look into that.

Thx for the feedback :)
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    i think it would look better if the cracks in the middle between the stones would be self illuminated instead of super glossy and reflective :)
  • noosence
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noosence polycounter lvl 9
    Why don't you use vertex painting for the dirt on the floor tiles? That would be easy to set up and would create some interest. Here's a link to a sweet (albeit a bit outdated) tutorial on Vertex painting. Using this technique and also blending in a mask for the cavities would create a nice effect.
    But this is looking awesome, keep up the good work! =}
  • esDeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noosence wrote: »
    Why don't you use vertex painting for the dirt on the floor tiles? That would be easy to set up and would create some interest. Here's a link to a sweet (albeit a bit outdated) tutorial on Vertex painting. Using this technique and also blending in a mask for the cavities would create a nice effect.
    But this is looking awesome, keep up the good work! =}

Haha yeah you are absolutely right! Did some vertex painting in the middle section with the wet material, just did not think to apply it on the floor, maybe thought it did not need any variation at that time. Will do that, cheers!