Home General Discussion

Industry Texturing Workflow Question

Greg DAlessandro
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
Do artists typically use scanned materials and/or photo-sourced texture libraries in the industry? Is this the case for both PBR and non-pbr workflows? Thank you.

Handpainted - such as World of Warcraft, League of Legends
PBR - such as Remember Me, Metal Gear Solid 5, Killzone: Shadows Fall
Photosourced - textures used that are altered. I can't think of any specific games.

Replies

• Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    Photosourced is "The Vanishing of Ethan Carter", 3d Camerescans
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I didn't mean photogrammetry, I meant a library of photographed materials.
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    Handpainted - such as World of Warcraft, League of Legends

Maybe for some detail/ noise overlay, bur there is no reason why you would need photos for texturing.
    PBR - such as Remember Me, Metal Gear Solid 5, Killzone: Shadows Fall

Can't speak for majority, but I know I use real photos to achieve real results. Also something like Megascans, or Textures.com (improved CGtextures) wouldn't become a thing if others didn't too.
    Photosourced - textures used that are altered. I can't think of any specific games.

I think they don't use any other textures.
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Scans and photographs get used a lot, it's worth learning how to do.

Here's another online resource for high quality scan based textures: http://www.surfacemimic.com
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Aabel wrote: »

o_O

Dayummmmm. Might have to get me a subscription to that!
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So then is it common practice in the industry to use photographed textures to add detail to albedo/diffuse maps? Or are there other workflows to create realistic looking textures without using the photographed textures directly? Such as using the photos purely as a reference.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Surface mimic is great. I use it all the time.
    So then is it common practice in the industry to use photographed textures to add detail to albedo/diffuse maps? Or are there other workflows to create realistic looking textures without using the photographed textures directly? Such as using the photos purely as a reference.

Most people pull elements out of photographs and use some amount of painting over top to get the look they want.
  • tristan1590
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristan1590 polycounter lvl 3
    I am curious how surface mimic works? What are they doing exactly because it seems like in the end you are just buying a 2d image, which is from a photograph, which is not 3d scanning at all?
    Just a little confused here.

I like www.episcura.com for images, they have a lot of tiled images, and a nice interface,some HDRI as well.
    Texturing takes a lot of time and practice to master, most people won't use just one source for images, when I create a texture I use a lot of overlays and whatever photo sources I can find that might fit the texture I am needing.
  • Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    I think "common" are all types but they have all limitations.

Theoretical 3d scan or photograpy is the "easy" way, but you need a real life template and so it can be very hard to find or not exist.

With hand painted texture you have the freedom but it can be very hard to make good looking textures.

Often it is a mix like raw color variation with hand and fine details like stains from a photography.

From my personal standpoint i like hand painted or heavy modified textures more because the look smoother in motion. With to much information density and fast color changes in textures the game looks often only good when you stand still and has a unsettled feeling in motion.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yourname : Your best course of action will probably be to look into the extraction tools that might be available for the games you are interested in, and look at the textures first hand. From there you should be able to guess the specific creation workflow quite accurately.
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for all the replies. That is a good idea to search individual games to see their workflows as apposed to broad generalizations. Several games I will be looking at are: Dark Souls 2, The Last of Us, Uncharted series, Remember Me, and others as well.
  • tristan1590
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristan1590 polycounter lvl 3
    I agree with pior, most of the time it's not just one method that is used for much of anything, but many combined methods, overall they may use one method as a start and add in details with another. It's the finished product that is most important. Whatever it takes to get there.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most realistic looking games, and many stylized games use photosource in some part of the texturing workflow. To what degree will vary heavily between projects depending on specific goals and even the specific artists.

You should use photosourcing when it saves you time and doesn't give an inferior result. Games these days generally do not paste photos directly onto the UVs and call it done (though some in the past did little more than that, see: Max Payne), however, there are many, many ways in which you can use photo source to create various material effects.

Whether the game is using a PBR workflow is really neither here nor there. Your game could be stylized with every pixel of every texture painted by hand, and still use a PBR system, and it could be heavily reliant on photosourcing and not use a physically accurate rendering system. These concepts don't have much to do with each other and are not mutually inclusive or exclusive.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop sublime tool
    PBR is just 3 letters meaning mostly renamed and inverted glossiness and having the specular level and reflectivity locked from unexperienced artist to be a kind of "fool proof" solution.

So no big difference with texturing approach actually. Just a few nuances. No necessity to go crazy measuring everything at all imo.

As of depth and normal channel it's a different matter. I am trying to do almost everything through photogrammetry now.

I would gladly use 3d party libraries but it's usually too much of a headache with rights managing, subcontract agreements, risk insurances, persuading the companies etc.

So mostly it's our own photos.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I am curious how surface mimic works? What are they doing exactly because it seems like in the end you are just buying a 2d image, which is from a photograph, which is not 3d scanning at all?
    Just a little confused here.

I like www.episcura.com for images, they have a lot of tiled images, and a nice interface,some HDRI as well.
    Texturing takes a lot of time and practice to master, most people won't use just one source for images, when I create a texture I use a lot of overlays and whatever photo sources I can find that might fit the texture I am needing.

The guy who runs surface mimic has a very precise photogrammetry setup. What you are getting is real depth information and not some software based estimation assuming the photograph is a height map. The quality of the processing work and manipulation he does is also good.