Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] The Last of Us inspired Environment

ih8u
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ih8u polycounter lvl 5
Hello everyone!This is my first thread on polycount, and i come to ask u guys some crits and comments.
I decide to create this environment, inspired by delicious game, pretty much time ago. And i started actually, but was not able to keep working for some personal reasons. So, nowadays i decide to continue the work on the project, and try to improve it as much as possible, and thats why i need your help.
And should be noticed, why i decide to build this environment in udk so far, when ue4 is completely free... This is like an a challenge for me, and i have to do that.
Y5qB.jpg
My first idea was to create an environment which will be very similar with Bill's town from TLoU, but after i decide to reduce the size of whole location, and you can see how it looks now in the screenshots.
I'll add some props there, rusty abandoned cars, a lot of vegetation like ivy, moss and grass. in general, to achieve the style of TLoU.
Y5qC.jpg
Y5qD.jpg

Some progress with texture, that i did recently.
i used gradient color mapping for it by the way, and here is the result:
Y5qL.jpg
Y5qM.jpg

Actually some tileble textures are already exist, but i'm not gonna show it yet.

So, it would be awesome to see some comments from you guys.
Hope this thread would be interesting for somebody, thanks alot for your attention.
Creers!:)

Replies

• mats effect
    Blockout looks good but yeah the bricks are way too reflective. Check out some reference and you will see bricks can some times have a bit of spec going on but are often very matte.

examples

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3c/India_-_Sights_%26_Culture_-_Rural_Brick_Making_Kiln_02_(4040024973).jpg

http://cupegraf.com/data_images/wallpapers/29/389662-brick.jpg

nice work so far :D
  • Cloudydays
    Offline / Send Message
    Cloudydays polycounter lvl 6
    Agreed with Mats Effect - the block out looks good (though I hope you're planning on breaking up the dead/empty space in the middle with some props). The bricks could be worked on some more. Turning down the reflectivity would be a great start but they could use some more attention in general. If you're going for a urban decay/Last of Us look then you're going to want to put in more dirt/grunge into those bricks - they look too clean now. Between dirt/grime built into the actual textures and decals as finishing touches at the end, you could make the bricks fit much better into your vision and style.
  • ih8u
    Offline / Send Message
    ih8u polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you so much guys for your comments. And yeah, you're absolutely right. Bricks are really too reflective.
    I hope you're planning on breaking up the dead/empty space in the middle with some props
    Yes, definitely there will be some assets to fill the emptiness and that will happen pretty soon i believe.
    Thank you so much for your help.:)

So, i keep working on some of the assets, and here they are. Not really big update,however i decided to show my progress anyways.

Y8ME.jpg
    Y8MF.jpg
    Y8MG.jpg
    Y8MH.jpg
    The bricks could be worked on some more. Turning down the reflectivity would be a great start but they could use some more attention in general. If you're going for a urban decay/Last of Us look then you're going to want to put in more dirt/grunge into those bricks - they look too clean now. Between dirt/grime built into the actual textures and decals as finishing touches at the end, you could make the bricks fit much better into your vision and style.

Now i want to figure out with some basic functionality for the material, to be used for many buildings. I going to use vertex painting to acheive more interesting and detailed result as you said, but yeah, you are right, texture need some more time to be finished.
    Thank you one more time!:)

Would be awesome, if you guys, visit this thread again.
    And if someone has something to say,do it. I'll be happy!
    Have a good day! :)