Home General Discussion

Do you obsess over a part of your workflow?

Fuiosg
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
I've been working on some UV maps for the past week, and I'm beginning to wonder if there's something wrong with me. I just can't stop adjusting it until it's almost a textbook unwrap.

Granted this seems to be a common thing for me with UVs, I don't know why, I just can't stand inconsistency-- and UV layout is one of those areas where consistency is really obvious, ie textel density, space between islands, color/material grouping, etc. I'm sure that in a production environment this would get licked, but just curious does anyone else have areas where you obsess over and otherwise waste copious amounts of time?

Replies

• ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    A week on UVs? I barely spend 45 minutes on my UVs. Figure out my hard edges or seams in my modeling package, unwrap in 3d coat, fix anything or mirror anything I want to stack in the modeling package, pack with iPackThat, done. I do like tweaking the vertex normals even though that has almost no effect unless you are using tiling textures.
  • WarrenM
    You need to learn the term "diminishing returns". Just unwrap it, relax it, run it through iPackThat. Move on. The company isn't paying you to twiddle UVs for days on end.
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    This is portfolio work. I tried ipackthat briefly but was put off by how it doesn't group materials together, organization issues aside, don't you run into mipmap bleeding every now and then?
  • WarrenM
    iPackThat can group islands together if that's what you want. Select the islands you want to be together, right click, and create a new group.

Mipmap bleeding is resolved via padding. If you're getting bleeding, you need a higher padding value. :)
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    WarrenM wrote: »
    iPackThat can group islands together if that's what you want. Select the islands you want to be together, right click, and create a new group.

Well now don't I feel like an idiot, I need to try that... Thanks.
  • WarrenM
    Sure. I'm an iPackThat superfan so if you have questions, feel free to ask. :)
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Fuiosg wrote: »
    snip,snap

To answer your thread title question, I really like to sit in zbrush and refine till it is almost perfect "in my eyes", when it's portfolio work / challenges or anything fun like that.

I feel everything gets the time it deserves, as odd as it is I can't wait to texture things so I guess that would be my obsess over workflow step, i am starting to really like posing with ZBrush though, 1st time with my last piece and just thought it was so much better than rigging for a pose.

I have yet to get into ipack =(