Home Technical Talk

3ds Max : Best Max workflow for rendering out base textures?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Danger_Sideburns polycounter lvl 7
Hi Polycount!

I'm working in Max trying to figure out the best way to render out a base diffuse map that I can color and edit in Photoshop and put on my 3d model. I'm using render to texture to create a light map and using a skylight to illuminate the model when it's rendering.

Long story short, I feel like there's probably a better way to do this and want the best base I can get. What workflow do you guys use for this?

I'd also like to add that I googled it for a while but couldn't find what I'm looking for. I'm new to rendering out textures so maybe I'm just not typing in the right thing.

Thanks for any help!

Pic related, it's the map I rendered.

kqSLG5v.png

Replies

• pixelquaternion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelquaternion polycounter lvl 6
    Hi Polycount!

I'm working in Max trying to figure out the best way to render out a base diffuse map that I can color and edit in Photoshop and put on my 3d model. I'm using render to texture to create a light map and using a skylight to illuminate the model when it's rendering.

Long story short, I feel like there's probably a better way to do this and want the best base I can get. What workflow do you guys use for this?

I'd also like to add that I googled it for a while but couldn't find what I'm looking for. I'm new to rendering out textures so maybe I'm just not typing in the right thing.

Thanks for any help!

Pic related, it's the map I rendered.

Hi there,

Just render a diffuse map from rtt there is no magical way to do this, you can also paint it with software like SP or even in 3ds max canvas but i prefer SP workflow since you can paint all channels separately.

Regards Peter
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Remember that whatever materials you apply to your high poly will also be captured. Normal, spec, diffuse they can all be captured. A lot of people overlook this and capture just the difference in geometry.

So taking some time to do some basic materials and unwrapping on your high poly can get you a pretty good start on your materials.

Also keep in mind that you can use viewport canvas to paint directly on the model, that isn't necessarily mean you stick to painting just diffuse colors, you can use it to punch up the spec map in certain areas, or to create masks to blend composite materials together. There is quite a bit you can do to get a jump start on your materials.

EDIT:
    Make sure you bake with padding, or you use the xnormal dilation filter to add padding to your textures. Also try to keep he UV shells from touching the edge it can bleed over and wrap around to the other side of the texture which makes for an ugly spot or a bad seam.