Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pod Racer Workshop - UE4 Environment

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Bants polycounter lvl 6
Welcome to my work in progress thread, below are the topics that I've planned for this medium sized environment. It's my own design, and I would appreiciate your feedback throughout my project.

Summary
I'm making a pod racer (my own design) from the Star Wars universe and implementing it into a workshop. The interior design reflects an industrial theme and retro fitted to today's interior design. So there will be industrial iron with red bricks for example. Layered on top are sci-fi elements where necessary. Mainly for the doors and key areas of security for the premises, areas where using future technology would be applicable.

It's a blend that hasn't been done before, current day 'trendy' interior design with sci-fi accents to ground it into a game / fictional piece rather than an arch vis simulation. I'm hoping the giant turbine will also say that for me too ^^

Pinterest Reference Board

Lighting + Colour
I've taken to DONT NOD's 'Life is Strange' art style recently. The shader stylisation isn't what I'm referencing, but the lighting and colour pallette is! I've taken some personal shots and uploaded them to pinterest (link above) to demonstrate their reds/violets peach dusk feel. Please see other images on that board to understand the directional lighting too.

LPdBPD9.png

I want to emulate that lighting with strong emphasis on the turbine through streaked lighting coming through the factory windows. I do however want the rest of the environement to be seen and not in blackness.

With regard to the colour pallette, using cloth is a great way to accent the scene, so I'm using banners / covers. Banners celebrate regality which isn't so appropriate here, so engine dust sheet covers is what I may end up making. A deep marine blue is what I'm proposing here to offset all of the warm colours, but I'd like to open this discussion to you.

Additionally, I haven't illustrated any props here, but classic red tool cabinets is what I have in mind. Mostly dirty and worn, nothing other than the select few sci-fi apparatus should be clean. I want to create a musty atmosphere, but not desolated for a period long time.

Materials
Below is a material pallette that I want to experiement with in engine. Making materials glossy always produces more of a "WOW!" factor, but if they take too much attention I'll deffinitely matte-ify them.

0BZUd6g.jpg

I'm not entirely sold on the polished stained concrete floor, I feel that the chequered tiled floor would look better visually. It would support the american hot rod theme of the tools cabinets but would look odd in juxtaposition to the factory warehouse materials which is the primary theme. I don't want those 2 styles to fight. What do you think?

I've actually started some production on the brick material, which I made in substance designer. The more that I can Substance, the quicker, the better. It's supposed to be that glossy as it's varnished, but may look better rough once everything else is in the scene.

00K1K6C.jpg

gyaByJf.jpg

Final Comments
So I've established my 3 beauty shots in which I want to sell the scene with. I think the spacial planning from my blockout (minus the props) keeps the core elements in the composition together well, and the base tileset seems solid enough for me to begin production properly.

I've done a rough time management plan, but like my last project whether I can follow this due to my life commitments could be an issue... but I want to try at least!

Replies