3ds Max - Subobject / Object Toggle Driving me mad

Ott
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Ott polycounter lvl 12
Frankly I don't even recall if it's always done this, but I'm in 3ds Max 2013 and it's annoying the shit out of me.

It's so basic, but I'm realizing just how much time I'm wasting because of this.

Workflow sample - If you press 1, you're in Vertex Mode. If you press 1 again, you exit sub-object mode and go into Object mode. This is where I get annoyed.

Is there a way to tell Max NOT to exit sub-object mode? If I press 1 a hundred times, I want to ONLY stay in sub-object mode. I've already got a hotkey for Object mode. Or, I can manually click the stack.

I work with hotkeys, and try to work fast. "Accidentally" exiting sub-object mode all the damn time is slowing me down.

Thoughts? Settings? Is there a magic script out there to save my brain? Lemme know :poly127:

Replies

• ridger_drift
    Offline / Send Message
    ridger_drift polycounter lvl 4
    Activate "Keyboard Shortcut Override Toggle" (located to the left of the Snaps Toggle on the main toolbar) should disable entering/exiting sub-object mode via repeated number keys presses.
  • Ott
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 12
    Ugh, wtf. Ok, yeah that does it. I had turned it off by default awhile back to work with the Edit Poly modifier. What relevance this button has to Sub-Object toggling is beyond me. Now I know. Thanks!
  • ridger_drift
    Offline / Send Message
    ridger_drift polycounter lvl 4
    I keep it off by default because it interferes with my other keyboard shortcuts.
    Glad it worked out for you.
  • Ott
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 12
    Hey guys

I'm using 3ds Max 2016 now, and the exact same issue is still happening. Whether I am using my hotkeys for regular editable poly sub-objects or the UV unwrap, pressing the hotkey again turns the function off. The old Keyboard Shortcut Override Toggle button worked before - now it doesn't.

Anyone got a workaround?
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycounter
    I solved this issue via script years ago: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4210886/g_subObjectLevel.mcr

Just go into category > GregsScripts, and assign them the the keys you want to use for each sub-object level.

• Ott
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 12
    Installed the script and setup the hotkeys, but still not working. If I press 1, I go into Vert mode - if I press 1 again, I exit vert mode. Have you had a chance to test this with 2016?

• PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycounter
    Is "keyboard shortcut override toggle" enabled?
  • Ott
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 12
    That was it. Finally :D Thanks man!
  • Altea
    Offline / Send Message
    Altea polycounter lvl 4
    Any chance of getting that scrip from PolyHertz or anyone downloaded it?
    The dropbox link is not working. 
    Thanks!
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycounter
    @Altea I think the link just expired since the file is still in my dropbox.

Here's a new link for it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/86o8vxm89votav7/g_subObjectLevel.mcr?dl=1

Also, in case anyone wants it in the future and the link expires again, here's the text (just save it to a text file with the extension ".mcr" and run it from inside max, or run it directly through maxs script editor, either works):

macroScript g_subObjectLevel1
    category: "GregsScripts"
        (
        setCommandPanelTaskMode #modify
        If SubObjectLevel == undefined then Max Modify Mode
        Try(If SubObjectLevel != 1 then SubObjectLevel = 1)Catch()
        )

macroScript g_subObjectLevel2
        (
        Try(If SubObjectLevel != 2 then SubObjectLevel = 2)Catch()
        )

macroScript g_subObjectLevel3
        (
        Try(If SubObjectLevel != 3 then SubObjectLevel = 3)Catch()
        )

macroScript g_subObjectLevel4
        (
        Try(If SubObjectLevel != 4 then SubObjectLevel = 4)Catch()
        )

macroScript g_subObjectLevel5
        (
        Try(If SubObjectLevel != 5 then SubObjectLevel = 5)Catch()
        )

macroScript g_subObjectLevel0
        (
        Try(If SubObjectLevel != 0 then SubObjectLevel = 0)Catch()
        )

• Altea
    Offline / Send Message
    Altea polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks!
    I need to deactivate "keyboard shortcut override toggle" to work or it will toggle
    What is sub object level 0? I doesn't seem to do anything.

• PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycounter
    sub object level 0 is for going into object mode (ie. exiting sub object / component mode)
  • Altea
    Offline / Send Message
    Altea polycounter lvl 4
    Ah, thanks. I see it is as ctrl+b but without toggle
  • FishMan
    Offline / Send Message
    FishMan polycounter lvl 7
    Here is the fix for all new versions of 3ds max (I've tested it on 2016, 2017):

Open ...\Autodesk\3ds Max 2016\MacroScripts\Macro_SubObjectLevels.mcr 

and remove everything after "else" like this:
    MacroScript SubObject_1

ButtonText:~SUBOBJECT_1_BUTTONTEXT~

Category:~SUBOBJECT_1_CATEGORY~ 

internalCategory:"Modifier Stack" 

Tooltip:~SUBOBJECT_1_TOOLTIP~

Icon:#("SubObjectIcons",1)

(	On Execute do

(

Try(If SubObjectLevel != 1 then SubObjectLevel = 1)Catch()

)

) 

You should remove it on each level...
    Then save this. Sometimes Windows is not allowing you to overwrite files in this directory. You can avoid that, just save it somewhere else and then drag and drop this file to replace original.

Next you should restart max and open Customize User Interface, in "group" drop down menu you should select Edit Poly or Editable Poly (or both) and unbind everything that assigned to sub level selection (e.g. Vertex Level, Edge Level, etc.)

Now you can continue to use max with "Keyboard Shortcut Override" switched on...

And don't forget to throw something heavy in the window next time when you will walk near Autodesk office.
  • Ott
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 12
    Back again for 2019!

The above MacroScript fix worked in the past - doesn't seem to work in 2019. Deleted out all the text from the Macroscript, turned off the hotkeys, and it's not working anymore. Did they move the hotkey macro somewhere else? Anyone else have a workaround for this?
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycounter
    I don't know about the fix from FishMan, but the script I posted before still works in 2019 (so long as keyboard shortcut override is turned off).
  • Ott
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 12
    Nevermind - wasn't wording that correctly. What I'm looking for is the separating between hotkeys when toggling that on and off. I'll have to dig around and figure out why other hotkeys aren't working with it turned off :smile:
  • daemius
    Offline / Send Message
    daemius polycounter lvl 7
    On this subject, is there any way to jump directly to the bottom of the stack when pressing 1-4? I usually work with symmetry and it drives me crazy having to press on Edit Poly on the stack to be able to enter vertex/edge/face mode. 
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan insane polycounter
    @daemius There's a script I use that jumps to bottom of stack on a hotkey. There are a few different ones on Scriptspot
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster Polycount Sponsor
    @daemius Not exactly what you are asking for, but it could address your issue. I use Paul Neale's Stack Tools. It auto selects the previously selected stack item when you change selection. The default behavior seems wrong to me now.

http://paulneale.com/script-stack-tools/
  • daemius
    Offline / Send Message
    @daemius There's a script I use that jumps to bottom of stack on a hotkey. There are a few different ones on Scriptspot
    Used the keywords in your post and managed to find one now, thanks ;D This one right? http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/shortcut-modifier-stack-jump-and-loop (Sorry for taking the post hostage)
  • daemius
    Offline / Send Message
    This is super useful and very close to what I wanted, thank you for the link. I found this one(http://blog.matfacer.com/post/77352269691/modifier-auto-select) but it apparently only works when the script is open. 
  • realeyez
    Offline / Send Message
    realeyez polycounter lvl 8
    If you use RappaTools, it has functionality built in to automatically find the next Edit Poly or Editable Poly in the stack after you select an object and go into component mode when you press 1/2/3/4/5. There's also a setting that effectively also gets rid of the double-tap to exit subobject mode too. Worth buying just for those 2 quality of life improvements alone!