Home Quixel Megascans

ndo height 2 normal - gradient ramps to slopes. possible?

akaChris
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
akaChris polycounter lvl 6
Hi guys,

I`m trying to get ndo to recognize a greyscale gradient ramp as a slope when converting from height to normal. but all I get is the hard edge where the gradient ends.

has anyone tried this or got this working successfully?

Nevermind... just got it working. I thought the grey to normal icon ment height to normal conversion but actually if I go through the map converter menu instead, I get some results. unfortunately not gamma corrected so need to fiddle around with the gradient to get it linear

Replies

• Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Come on you gotta at least give me a chance to answer :)
  • akaChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you are right Eric. Here is one:

when is news about 1.9 coming :P

or another one would be why all of a sudden my object in 3do doesn't display the material anymore... but I could also just use the search function :D
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What if I told you that the stability fix is in full swing and there will be updated threads regardning it today! Then you´d probably be a bit surprised I imagine!
  • akaChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't believe a word :P but thanks for trying to cheer me up :poly124:

btw I can't seem to figure out in what conditions 3do material display breaks. the attached screenshot for example is one obj mesh that contains copies of the same element. the middle element is mirrored within the mesh but the normals are fine (not backfacing). it should basically have the same material as the others as the uv coords are the same...
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What happens if you turn off "view dependent roughness" in 3DO?
  • akaChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unfortunately I can't seem to reproduce this case (with a flipped object displaying normals but not materials properly). what I get more often is objects that show just the reflection without any materials. Oddly enough there is one object in max that works. if I attach to that object, the others are displayed properly as well. Usually that would indicate issues with reset xform or broken geometry in general. but when I create a new box and attach to that box and/or reset xform I still get a blank reflection material instead. it's not a big deal tho as long as I have one object to attach to that works ;)

btw I threw out most of my art pipeline last week to be able to use quixel suite better. meaning that my unique objects are mostly going to be atlas texture mapped. that way I can deal with the batch processing of quixel not working as I don't have hundreds of objects to process but only a handful of atlas textures. figured that if quixel won't change, it's at least in my hands to change my pipeline ;). As long as I`m not thinking too hard about wasted time, we are good ;)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Are you properly exporting your normals when you export your mesh for 3DO?
  • akaChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah the obj export is always the set to export triangles, tex coords, normals, smoothing groups. optimize for vertex, normals and tex coords are also checked

I`m always exporting the same way but some objects just fail to display with mats (I also checked for mat ids but that wasn't it either as I think only mat1 is used?). This could of course easily be an issue with 3dsmax, however exporting the same objects to cryengine displays correctly. but as I said, as long as I have one object that I can attach to for export, it's not a deal breaker :)

shots attached with PBR on/off

elements are all the same. it almost seems to differ from export to export after tweaking just minor things. basically the broken element and the one on the left are identical... the one thats all lonely by itself on the right in the back is the one I need to attach to for anything to show up with tex coords