Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anatomy Sculpt/Character Bust

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Seraphinn polycounter lvl 4
Spent a few hours last night doing the sculpt. Sort of a sculpt/ work in progress character bust Jecht%20Bust_zps7n1kmfhu.jpg

Critiques welcome, I know the anatomy is roughly right but not quite sure around the bent arm.

Hands are a disaster atm, will be reworking them

Replies

• Seraphinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh im not using the concept of jecht as a reference, just as a target, im using multiple references for anatomy. Otherwise hed have muscles up the wazoo
  • Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    I'm not even good at anatomy, your proportion looks ok, but here's 2 thing i've noticed

D9VGz7M.png

Also you shouldn't see the bone here

PgNXiQW.png

The clavicle on this area is more visible on woman and really skinny guy because the pec musle goes on top
  • Seraphinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    made some changes, smoothed out the muscles a bit, might keep that stringy feeling a little bit.

Jecht%20Bust2_zpsa56mtlt8.jpg
  • Seraphinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ChaosWWW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosWWW polycounter lvl 6
    Since this is an anatomy sculpt, I would work on tightening up some of the anatomy in general and using some more reference. Some parts that stick out are the front of the body and the head.

For the torso, your placement is alright but your forms lack depth. Your abs, external obliques and sartorius all kind of blend together. You have the lines for these forms, but not any depth. Also, use reference for the muscles. For example, the sartorius muscles have 5 "fingers" that show on the surface, and they link with the ribcage.

For the head, the biggest thing that sticks out to me is the smile. When you smile, the corners of the mouth are mostly what goes up. Also, smiling causes a lot of folding under the cheeks and generally creates a different contour. In general, I'd push the depth of the forms on the face as well.

Keep it up.
  • TomGT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    I'm not an anatomy expert, but the elbow on right arm holding the sword is looking too smoothly bent on a curve especially on your latest picture. I think it needs to be a bit more angular.
  • TheodorUrhed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheodorUrhed polycounter lvl 4
    You've got one pair too many abs there ;P
    The top pair of a six pack is actually located above the costal arch, and is on some people hidden under the pecs. You should also look for the insertion of the sternocleidomastoid, which should create a V between the clavicles.

Also, if you want to have the arm bend like that, you should look at some more references and sculpt it specifically for that pose, as a lot of muscles change shape and volume, especially the bicep and the ridge muscles(Brachioradialis) of the lower arm.

As for the face, as Chaos already pointed out, the smile needs quite a bit more work and I would say the wings of the nose are too big if it's supposed to be an anime style nose, otherwise the nose in general is too small.

This is a very good excersise though, keep at it ;)