Home Technical Talk

Smoothing Scans in zbrush problem

Jonathan85
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Jonathan85 polycounter lvl 9
Hello, im having problems smoothing scanned meshes in zbrush, im new to zbrush. I have some scanned mesh and the surface is bumpy, noisy etc. The mesh has around 1,5-5 milion faces for example. When i try to use any smoothing brush in zbrush (like smooth, smooth peaks, smooth valleys etc.), and even increase the size of the brush or intensity of the brush, the smoothing is very subtle, very very, its not usuable for me. One workaround i found out is to zremesh the mesh into lower polygon count (only few thousand), then SUBDIVIDE it (original scan mesh of course has only one subdivision level, with few milion faces). Then i project the original mesh to the zremeshed and subdivided one.

And then i can go to lower subvidision levels (which is not possible on the original scan) and can smooth the mesh quite ok, the lower the subdivision level i am on, the better the smoothing...

Im quite new to zbrush so im not sure if this is ok, i thought i should be able to smooth the original mesh with only 1 subdivison level quite well? I was not aware i have to go to lower subdivision level to smooth the bigger bumps/noise. The bigger the noise/bumps, the smaller the subdivision level i have to perform the smoothing on in order to get useable results...

Is this correct workflow? I want to smooth the original scans aswell is there a way?

Replies

• Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    That's how I would have done it too. Nothing wrong with that workflow.
  • jfitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    What you're doing is exactly how I would do it. Doesn't make sense to try to do that smoothing on crazy high sub divs.
  • admir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    admir polycounter lvl 18
    Can you post screenshot of original scan ? I have scans that are bumpy, noisy, with errors that are easily cleaned with claybuildup, demstandard, move and flatten brushes. Those scans are mostly humans, raging from 6 to 10 milions tris. I do cleaning on original scan before remeshing and reprojecting. My remeshed polycount is around 20k for easier uvmapping in ZB. Adter that i subdiv until reach around original scan's polycount. Also, it is important to start projecting on lowest subdiv, then on one up, then next.... until you reach last subdiv. This will keep shapes and details in all subdiv levels.
    Also,use 4.7 64bit, it can handle higher polycounts.

Find Lee perry's (triplegangers) Tutorial Converting and processing RAW scan data, it goes into details when dealing with scan data.

Hope it helps,
    Admir
  • admir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    admir polycounter lvl 18
    Here is example, on the left is original scan, on right wip of cleaned version.
    Another thing is cleaning original scan keeps uvs and texture.
  • Jonathan85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonathan85 polycounter lvl 9
    Hi, thanks to all for tips... if anybody has anything else or more tips, please share them :-).

BTW that admir image, that isnt only cleaned mesh but also a mesh with additional work, am i right? he had to sculpt some details on that because the original mesh lacks the additiona ldetail?
  • admir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    admir polycounter lvl 18
    Jonathan85 wrote: »
    Hi, thanks to all for tips... if anybody has anything else or more tips, please share them :-).

BTW that admir image, that isnt only cleaned mesh but also a mesh with additional work, am i right? he had to sculpt some details on that because the original mesh lacks the additiona ldetail?

Yep, using claybuildup, move and demostandard brushes to add mising details. Ill reproject texture again on final mesh in Photoscan.
  • bobashabiniu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    image, that isnt only cleaned mesh but also a mesh with additional work, am i right? he had to sculpt some details on that because the original mesh

___fifa coins
  • admir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    admir polycounter lvl 18
    image, that isnt only cleaned mesh but also a mesh with additional work, am i right? he had to sculpt some details on that because the original mesh

___fifa coins

Yep, like i said, some things cant be scanned perfectly unless you have 100+ cameras. Having HIGH poly count mesh helps rebuilding those in Zbrush. Or you can decimate mesh, bring it in your 3d app and build missing/screwed parts there.

My original point was that you can fast clean (and rebuild) mesh in ZB....

Admir