Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[NOOB] why_pack improvement thread

why_pack
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
why_pack polycounter lvl 3
Hello, this will be my first post at polycount and I'm really nervous about it. If it's not the right place for the thread, please move/delete it :)

I am an aspiring artist. I think i could call myself an generalist but more and more I'm leaning towards 2D, still, I want to improve my 3D art as much as I can.

Here is some of my work, please, comment and critique it without sugarcoating as much as you can, so it will help me the most.

Thank you for your time :)

forest_by_whypack-d8iixuq.png
mountain_temple_by_whypack-d8iiya5.png
zbrush_creature_by_whypack-d8iizfk.png
zbrush_animated_character_by_whypack-d8iizvh.png
enterance_by_whypack-d8ij076.png

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    While it would be easy to say that these pieces of art look amazing, I must ask what is it exactly you want to be doing on a game development team? I think we can more effectively critique if you state a more specific focus.

It overall looks super good! Especially what looks to be the photobashed concept art, definitely helps sell mood and tone. Just not sure how you want us to frame this in terms of discussion.
  • why_pack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I.. really don't have an answer for that. I would really like to say that I want to be concept artist, but I don't think that I have good enough design capabilities for that. I think the problem of my art is that from time i 5th grader, I was working with a small team [usually 2 people] on video games, and to this day, it did not change. I had some industry works, but even then I had to work alone or with a really small team. So, I touched pretty much every single possible art discipline possible in game development and some stuff beyond video games [some movie and tv commercial work]. At this point I think i would make a good fit in a team when the game is in early development [pre-production]
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    So you're a pre-vis artist, good at preproduction, but not comfortable with visual creative design?

Have you shipped any of the games you've worked on?
  • why_pack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As wrong as it sounds, you are probably right.

I have worked on an Android/iOS game Drag Coast Racing where I pretty much did all of the art and levels, but it's not exactly something that I'm really proud of because of how little time there actually was to develop the whole thing.
    But other than that, not much stuff actually shipped that I have worked on :\ There is a video game that I'm pretty sure will hit Steam this year but at this point it's unannounced and I can't talk much about it.
    8cS6p65yRaPLLJTYZOHR5MuW-7J2vaD7wuy6LrZy6swYpl1qF4hQvO2EhykFpOvbvg=h900-rw
  • why_pack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quite some time passed since the last time I did something "line-arty", so here we go.

a50afe0bab853dd5e9da7ad12fa018cd-d8io7ft.png
  • why_pack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, some time have passed so I thought i will post some new stuff. Sorry this is turning a little bit to 2D side, but at this time i don't really do much personal 3D stuff. Hopefully this will change soon. If you have any comments or critiques, please post :)

horizon_japan_by_whypack-d9chm3z.png
    test_render5_by_whypack-d9chifn.png