Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dwarven Hero (High poly sculpt)

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
yougotdirked polycounter lvl 3
Hey all,

this is my first official post here. I wanted to show you my sculpt that I finished yesterday. I'm still looking for critique so give me your best shot :)

This is the n-th iteration of the same character, where I improved with each new attempt. Now finally, I'm really happy with the results, so I decided to come here to show it off and get some feedback before I start with texturing/retopo, so tell me what you think :)

(sorry if screenshots are low-quality)

KK2Bqe2.png

Rtu5fek.png

PGh3gfh.png

3ttVXvo.png

Replies

• DGB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DGB polycounter lvl 7
    I like the sculpt overall - the hard-surface parts like the armor work really well and from what I can see, the basic anatomy is there. However, the forearms and hands seem kind of scrawny compared to the larger biceps.

The beard looks way too stringy right now, like a mass of individual strands rather than more discrete clumps and groups of hair. Depending on how stylized you want to go with the hair, you may want to start with something more like this. Notice the back of the character's head, where each group of hair is a distinct mass. Later, you can add in individual strands on the detail pass.

The cloth folds and the horns have some rough definition to them, but they look too soft and unfinished compared to the armor.

Also, I love the crown motif on the helmet, but I wish that that design were repeated elsewhere on the model - maybe on the shin-guards? That's a minor nitpick, though.

Really, the biggest issue I can see thus far is the beard - other than that, just do add some more definition in some areas, so some tweaking and you'll be good to go!

pgh3gfhpaintover.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Real quick about the technical approach for the hair, wouldn't hurt and perhaps much more manageable if you do a bundle of subtools, polygroup each separate clump group.
  • yougotdirked
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I will post an update when I fixed the things you pointed out :)
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I would really recommend forgetting clothing right now and focusing on the overall anatomy, there are some issues with the arms and hands for example. Keep it up!
  • yougotdirked
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, time for an update. I listened to the advice i got and gave it my best shot. Im really happy with how the beard turned out, though I might still do some finishing touches to it.
    I enlarged the hands a bit, and I also reworked the arm anatomy to something closer to reality (though its far from perfect - it'll do for now I guess :) )

Without further ado:

b1626f3a6255da625934773103548dbc.png
    Renewed beard

e625e0abfaff615e523ce93a70f3f7b6.png
    Larger hands and better arm muscles

2aa0ca7004601acc7ffddd20dfba0b66.png
    More anatomy stuff - the part around the elbow is hard..

ab053f49f8a9d6a6798d4a5ad25c3627.png
    overall view

So, any more critique is welcome. In the meantime i'm going to think about how to retopo, texture and rig this bad boy.

cheers ^^