Home Marmoset

Lighting / Shading error

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Jean-Pascal polycounter lvl 5
Hi, I have a lighting issue within marmoset.

At first I thought I might have a problem with my normal smoothing or my normal map so I rebaked everything, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Here is my low poly model (with smoothed normals) and the normal map in maya. As you can see, everything looks fine:
350uqlh.jpg

Once I import the model in marmoset, here's what I have though:
2s68xec.jpg

n35b7n.jpg

As you can see, I have huge artifacts. And it looks like the shadows are conforming to the low poly model even when the normal map is applied.

Also, the problem goes away if I turn off the "cast shadows" in the light options:

119xbt1.jpg

Is that a known issue? Is there any way to fix it?
I tried to install the latest drivers for my gtx580 (in case the problem would come from there), but that didn't solve my issue either.

I'm out of idea, so I would greatly appreciate your help since I'd like to do my final render in marmoset. :poly122:

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What you're seeing here are limitations of real-time shadow mapping techniques. The reason you don't see similar issues in Maya is that you don't have a light that is casting shadows there. The normal map doesn't have much effect on shadow casting, as shadows are only cast from the actual geometry of your mesh, in this case your low poly.

There are a few of things you can try to reduce shadow artifacts:
    1. Move your shadow casting light so it is hitting the model at less of an acute angle
    2. Adjust the width parameter in the light options, this will turn it into an area light, and a larger width setting will result in a larger physical size for the light and blurrier shadows
    3. Enable front-face shadows in the render tab, this along with #2 may result in better quality shadows
    4. Enable high resolution shadows in the render tab
    5. Disable contact refinement in the light properties
  • Jean-Pascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jean-Pascal polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you for your answer EarthQuake, now it makes perfect sense.
    I was able to reduce the artifacts a bit by following your advices. That being said it's still quite visible in the areas that have a lighter number of polygons.

I didn't have time to try it yet, but if I used a displacement map (and enabled the subdivision option in marmoset), I believe it would allow to get rid of the artifacts (of course it would slow things down, but for final rendering purposes that could be useful). Am I correct?