Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Next-Gen Jak (WIP)

Replies

• Melazee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Melazee polycounter lvl 11
    Tonight's progress! I'll be editing the bottom of the trousers a lot more I think, not much liking those folds. I'll also be re-doing the boot since this boot has gone horribly wrong :)

jakfront_by_gashu_monsata-d8xyc3m.jpg
  • Melazee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This evening's update! Still need to change that boot but got totally sidetracked :)

Apologies for the terrible renders, still trying to figure out a nice but quick way to render these previews. Rendering is not my forte at all.

jakrender1_by_gashu_monsata-d8y32l7.jpg
  • Melazee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This evening's update! I figured I would render in Keyshot instead. It takes longer but it looks much nicer... at least, until I can figure out how to render properly in Zbrush hah.

Still need to make a scarf, fix up smaller issues and such. I've learned a lot from this, namely... don' go crazy with sub divs or my PC will run like turd!

jakupdate_by_gashu_monsata-d8y78xx.jpg
  • Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    this is awesome! I played all the jak and daxter games as a kid. I'd love to see the leather straps across his chest look a little more wide and hefty. maybe scale up the shoulder plate a little bit too. right now it looks more decorative than functional. also I'm not sure how much you want to follow the original, but his ears were always (very unrealistically) high up on his head, maybe nudge yours up a little higher?
  • Melazee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks very much! I completely agree about the shoulder pad being too small, that's been bugging me for a while. I will change that. I think I will keep the ears the same since I want to keep a more realistic look to him (Jak was always pretty stylized back on the PS2 and some of the things they did on him back then would look kind of weird I think, like that insane thin waist haha).

I think I will widen the should straps a bit yeah, they are looking quite thin. The Jak 4 concept has them thinner than they were on the PS2, but I think I still went too thin here.

Thanks again! :D
  • Melazee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling this high done now! I've spent far too long on the high poly and I feel like I'm never going to push forward, so I'm going to take this to retopo next. Leanred a lot from sculpting this for sure though... mainly that I need to study butts more (as weird as that sounds, it's true. Definitely struggled with the hips/butt on here haha). Oh, and clothing folds for sure!

I'm going to learn 3D Coat for retopo next. I usually use Topogun, but 3D Coat looks fantastic and I really want to try it out!

image_by_gashu_monsata-d91nctx.jpg
  • amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    Niiiiiiiice.
    looking forward to this.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    this is looking really awesome
  • clinington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clinington polycounter lvl 10
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    he literally has no ass, but apart from that I like the progression you have made.
    maybe in a year or two your art will be bordering on awesome.
  • Melazee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha thanks guys! The butt is bad but it makes me giggle! I really should go back and work on that ass (lol!) to be honest. It's something I can't really look past (this is just sounding worse and worse!). I probably will try to fix it up then since quite a few people elsewhere have passed comment on it. Whilst I'm at it, I'd love to try to get better folds in the bottom of the trousers.
  • Melazee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi! Wow, long time no update again!

Recently picked this back up. I've retopo'd the head now, and did a bit of polypainting. I also decided to scribble up some of my own hair concepts (a few of these were for fun, I like to call #6 "banana hair"), I'm kind of partial to #2 there which is based on Jak's hair from Jak 2. These hairs were just scribbled on top of the polypainted high res model, I'll show the low res later on at some point when it's more complete :)

jak_hair_concepts_by_gashu_monsata-d9ave39.jpg
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    I'd say 2, renegade style. That's when jack became more serious and it matches your concept better. This is great though. Brings back memories.
  • EdHanley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EdHanley polycounter lvl 9
    Man this is gonna be awesome! Really glad to see you taking all the advice on board, its really starting to come together, keep it up!

Ed
  • Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    I think the hair in no2 suits him, but I think the beard makes him less recognizable. get a goatee in there! :)
    brada-4-640x914.jpg
  • DamonikArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with the facial hair part^, but I think you should use #2 but mix it a little with #3's hair. I would definitely love to bring Jak 4 back into the works but (of course) add more of the stylized proportions to the realisitic detail they have in the concepts.