Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Dwarf Walk Cycle - WIP Thread

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
dannyannymation polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys!

So, this is the brand spankin' new animation section on Polycount! I'm super excited to see everybody's work, yesterday I emailed the guys here at Polycount requesting this section and here it is :)

So, here's what I'm working on at the minute. Built myself a pretty simple CAT rig in Max of a stocky little dwarf fella. Wanting to create a set of anims for this guy, various cycles and attacks.

So, first thing's first. Walk cycle:

RtERoHD.gif

crits/feedback welcome

P.S does anybody know how to turn IK lines off for a CAT rig?

Replies

• Yonderboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yonderboy polycounter lvl 6
    love it! especially the bouncyness you've given to the hair and arms
  • dvisionvoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dvisionvoid polycounter lvl 6
    Nice walkcycle danny!
  • dannyannymation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I made the mistake of using walk cycle in the thread title so I will have to create a new thred with a more general name when I get the run cycle done so I can post all my dwarfy anims in one place.

Unless there is a way to change the name of a thread?
  • charlestinney
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    charlestinney polycounter lvl 6
    I've never used the cat rig so I can't help you there unfortunately. I like the animation so far. Minor things for me is that he looks like he's about to fall over (from side and 3/4 views). What would help is if the foot coming forward and catching the weight by landing just a little further forward; not necessarily straight legged, but nudging it just some.

From a minor direction perspective, this character either seems tired or old or a bit of both based off his overall slouching pose, and partly the point I mentioned about how far forward the foot lands (it looks gingerly and perhaps he is taking care to step softly due to fatigue or injury). There's nothing wrong with that direction, I just wonder if that's where you want to go, because that's my perception. I know the pose is probably to show the weight of the hammer, but the hammer weight is in the head, and the head is further down his back around the hips, so it just feels a bit severe to lean him that far. if it were that heavy I wonder if he'd carry it on his back at all.

for the forward position, something minor and quickly fixed is that the feet flop down with what appears to be a hitch. the heel hits the ground and the foot (in the next frame) keeps tilting up (or at the least, holds that angle) instead of rotating to the ground. looks unnatural and like it happens on both feet.

The left heel, when it gets to the back position looks like it hits a wall and no longer translates backwards. your right heel doesn't do that and flows fluidly through one pose to another. you can mimic the motion of your right heel for your left heel.

anyway, just my 2 cents. looks good and keep going!
  • dannyannymation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the great feedback :)

I will be continuing this thread here http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147890