Home General Discussion

NightCry - Horror game from Clock Tower creator and Grudge director (PC Kickstarter)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Neoekamp polycounter lvl 5
4397a208c5c0e08c8bb3b9b54500206e_large.jpg?1421723548

PC version Kickstarter Link

Project Scissors : NightCry is a game I've been excited for since its announcement, headed by legendary Hifumi Kono, designer and director of Clock Tower for SNES and PSX, and Takashi Shimizu, director of the Ju-On (The Grudge) series. A point-and-click horror game currently targeted for iOS, Android, and Playstation Vita.

Other names attached to NightCry are
  • Masahiro Ito, Creature Designer, the artist behind the Silent Hill monstrosities, AKA this guy fuckin' made Pyramid Head.
  • Kiyoshi Arai, Art Director, concept artist for Swan Song and Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.
  • Nobuko Toda, Composer & Audio Director, composer for the Metal Gear Solid series and Halo 4/5.
  • Michiru Yamane, Composer, composer of Castlevania Bloodlines and Symphony of the Night.

Screenies from Kickstarter Page
32c0248ced8d3db882505cfd4ed44fe5_large.png?1422003912
5e5bd10a9c162d6183cc30e3506ed252_large.png?1422003957
2ae4e7483fad329908ee58763a31cfc5_large.jpg?1421737904

Definitley not the best graphically, but I sure love all the soul that looks like it's being put into it!

Replies

• Neoekamp
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I don't like bumping my own threads, but the Kickstarter ends in 3 days and it's made $248,225 out of its $300,000 goal, so thought it'd be worth it.

It's been getting some support from history giants like Fumito Ueda, Koji Igarashi, Akira Yamaoka and Shinji Mikami.

Shinji Mikami (Director, Resident Evil 1 & 4, Vanquish, The Evil Within)
    "Hifumi Kono is not only one of the great game creators in Japan— he is also a dear friend and colleague.
    Our earliest collaboration was Steel Battalion, which I produced and Kono-san created and directed. That experience confirmed for me that he is an artist, an innovator and an all-around responsible guy.
    I congratulate and support Kono-san on his return to the horror game genre, which we both love and enjoy creating.
    Please join me in supporting this project!"
    - Shinji Mikami
    Fumito Ueda (Game designer, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus)
    “Of all the PlayStation games I've played, the “Clock Tower” series has left one of the strongest impressions on me. There have been a lot of notable games throughout PlayStation’s history, but “Clock Tower” might be one of the few that can actually shine using touchscreen controls. I’m really looking forward to seeing what all the talented artists, starting with Mr. Kono himself, are going to do with the content and themes they’ll be working with. I’m also hoping that this will be an opportunity for Japanese developers to gain even more of a foothold in the spotlight of gaming around the world.”
    - Fumito Ueda
    Koji Igarashi (ArtPlay game designer/game producer, “Castlevania: Symphony of the Night,” and other “Castlevania” series games)
    a07d3ebfc8c09b60c792546d34793187_original.png?v=1424201408&w=700&h=&fit=max&auto=format&lossless=true&"Horror is a notoriously difficult theme to incorporate into a game, and yet Clock Tower succeeds in being a truly memorable game, expressing visceral terror through its action. It’s really wonderful to see that the spiritual successor to Clock Tower isn’t being made by some huge publisher but instead as an indie game that can really speak to its fans; I think this is a very significant difference to consider. And on top of that I noticed a lot of old acquaintances on the team. How could I not support this game?!
    Right now the Japanese video game market is in an unfortunate position where it’s afraid to put out new titles. More than anything what the Japanese gaming scene really needs right now is the vocal support of its fans!"

Akira Yamaoka (Grasshopper Manufacture, Sound Creator, Silent Hill series, Shadows of the Damned)
    "The worlds Mr. Itoh creates are truly one-of-a-kind. He doesn’t just portray a world of horror; his worlds pull you in to them, immersing you. I really can’t say I know of anyone else who can pull off what he can, and now he’s about to do it again. Just incredible! He definitely has my support."
    Keiichiro Toyama (Creative Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Studio)
    "Back when I was simply another gamer, I read an article for a game and it’s screenshots immediately drew my attention.
    With the immersiveness of a movie, the keenness of the horror presented in the game, and story-telling with the use of a never-ending spiral of suspense; the “founding father” for the stream of horror games that would follow—Clock Tower.
    I still recall the day that I finally got to meet Mr. Hifumi Kono after I had become a game designer, and gotten involved in the production of a horror game. In excitement, I passionately shared my thoughts on how special Clock Tower was.
    That day, I was speechless with admiration after hearing Mr. Hifumi’s out-of-this-world yet innovative methods for the conception of his games.
    “Project Scissors” is truly special for me in that it takes on the spirit of a game that I hold close to my heart. But not only that, the pleasant surprise to hear Masahiro Ito, an old ally of mine, is participating in the project!
    I cannot help but fantasize about the game, but I’m sure that it will be full of surprises that go beyond our wildest dreams!"
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know about you, but I think in the protagonists position the first thing I might have done would be to deal with that dress so that I wasn't struggling to walk, much less run from the crazy scissor wielding psychopath.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch polycounter
    Jackablade wrote: »
    I don't know about you, but I think in the protagonists position the first thing I might have done would be to deal with that dress

The DLC costumes make the game even harder...

DLC includes:

- Pair of black-tinted shades

- Pair of Cement boots
  • Neoekamp
    Offline / Send Message
    It made its goal yaaay : D

0bd9eb988d809bc6582104a1b6cc467f_original.jpg?v=1424588907&w=700&h=&fit=max&auto=format&q=92&