Home Quixel Megascans

Thanks Quixel

For making such an incredible product. Very happy with the results so far. DDO has improved my texturing greatly!
Attaching a render of a medieval type of iron cannon i´m working on. Work in progress but i like the way the metal came out and the dirt.

Zbrush- Quixel DDO- Octane render HDRi texture light mixed with daylight.

Replies

• Gordon Robb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gordon Robb polycounter lvl 2
    Freakin awesome. Care to share your export settings, or any adjustment you make to the maps, particularly the spec and roughness?
  • Ingemar Lundgren
    Sure i can and happy you liked the render. I used the Octane blender plug in 2.15 but the nodes work about the same as the stand alone.

Attaching the node setup for the metal parts. I split the model up in 2 parts. One for metal and one for wood because Octane cant change the index values with a map so there is no way miximg wood and metal on te same UV map.

My material set up is very straight forward as you can see. I used to make super complicated setups before using DDO (dirt nodes, mx material etc) but now with the freaking awesome maps DDO generates it makes it so much easier. For me at least as im not a texturing expert.

The only thing i did on the maps was flip the green chanell on the Z brush generated normal map after i was done with DDO. I also inverted the glossy map. On exporting the maps i used the PBR generic setting.

Glossy shader on all materials.

On the gun carrige i used a color corecction node to boost the glossy maps contrast but could have done that in Photoshop to. The only other differenxe on the wood was index set to 1.33 instead of 1.0 used for metal.

Thats it really so very standard.

The lighting is texture HDRi and also Octane Daylight set quite low as a fill light with sunsize 30. The HDRi did cast a very directional window kind of light so i used the daylight to fill in the shadows.

500 samples Path tracing rendered in about 1min on a single Titan GPU in 4k res.
  • final_fight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    final_fight polycounter lvl 9
    Are those high poly models, I mean without normal maps to add bevel smoothing to corners? Or you've used curvature map?
  • Ingemar Lundgren
    I think the polycount is about 100.000 for the whole thing so kind of a medium poly count. But all the details is from DDO generated normal map except for some of the deep scratches on the wood gun carrige. I wish i had left that to DDO thouggh as i think i over did some of it in Zbrush. Waiting for DDO 1,9 wich should have rotatable textures. As it is now i poly paint the wood in Zbrush and load an albedo base map in DDO. On the wheel i used a DDO wood smart material and i was lucky it was in the right direction.

For DDO i used low poly workflow as i think 100k polys is quite low. So all the maps i used was Color iD, Tangent Normal , Object space normal and an AO map. DDo generated a good curvature map from that.
  • Gordon Robb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gordon Robb polycounter lvl 2
    Ah so you're doing the same as me in terms of correcting the roughness map to increase contrast. Just so that you know, there's an export that will export roughness instead of glossy. I wish octane would allow for an index map somehow.
  • final_fight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    final_fight polycounter lvl 9
    3d-coat devs also working on PBR workflow. Also 3d-coat support automatic curvature map creation for high poly models.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fb5tHXpCPs[/ame]
  • Ingemar Lundgren
    3D coat looks awesome. Have herd a lot of good thing about it.

Gordon, will try some other export settings later. Thanks fr the tip.
  • Ingemar Lundgren
    Gordon, i think you mean the Generic PBR(GGX) calibration profile don´t need inverted Gloss map? I tried it now and it seems to work better and no need for inverting. It still calls the map gloss though but that doesen´t matter ofcourse. Have only tried it on one material yet but the Generic PBR(GGX) seems to be the profile to go with for Octane.
  • artyarchitect
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks artyarchitect for bumping this, I almost missed this thread. Thank you Ingemar for posting your results and for the kind words. The cannon came out really nice!

- Teddy