Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Student Environment Project

Ouch
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Ouch polycounter lvl 4
I created this as the environment, for last semester. My teacher said I really needed to start posting here so I could get some professional feedback even if it's slightly intimidating. so here it is created in UE4.

tumblr_nicagfshxI1u7kj2wo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nicagfshxI1u7kj2wo2_1280.jpg

here is the original concept created by edmund liang

tumblr_nicagfshxI1u7kj2wo3_r1_1280.jpg

and a video run through at this link: https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_nicaciStIK1u7kj2w.mp4#_=_

I would love feedback, both for this project and for future projects, this is my first environment, and my first serious attempt at textures, all the textures were done as tillable and not as individual texture assets.

Replies

• pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Can't say I can tell what I'm looking at. This an airline interior? Cause the concept somewhat has that vibe, yet your environment doesn't. The key to make that work would be to make the walkway down the middle have airline standards. Lighting and treatment, doubt it'd ever be marble (too heavy). Google "luxury airline interior" and study.

For example.

bbj7371.jpg

awesome-private-jet-interior-with-comfortable-chairs-and-tables-ideas.jpg

Key things to think about, the fuselage of a plane is curved your window area currently is flat and really lacking details (details in terms of poly's/construction/treatment) This is the key area to show the viewers...hey your on a plane. The concept looks a bit more accurate for an aircraft interior in terms of space, your scene looks to wide and your couches too big.

Can't say I really love the concept to be honest, I don't know what this space is based off of it, I'm guessing it's a plane interior based on the seating on the right....but the fish tank seems to be placed in an odd place. Not saying it couldn't exist but it'd sit in the center of the plane due the weight of the water. Gotta think about construction, your an environment artist (or becoming one). If it makes sense it'll lead to a stronger composition, a stronger visual, and a more believable space, in turn making your art give players/viewers a sense of being in a real place.

Material definition, and color composition could use some work, but to be honest it's not that great from the concept so there ya go. Gotta be good about picking the right recipes to bake, as well as knowing when to go off and add your own ingredients. The yellow bars for the wood treatments doesn't taste good.

Good luck.
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheeky_Pickle polycounter lvl 9
    I don't get the feel of a plane fuselage at all, from the concept or 3D environment. It seems more like a cool hangout or something.

In your video the angle is much more pleasing at around the 19 second part, I think the shot you have shown here does not compliment your environment. It seems very cluttered because the lack of floor space that is shown.

I feel the marble flooring is a tad noisy and the fish tank could use some work. Perhaps a blue glow to show what it is?
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    It make me think of a jetset club for really rich people, you know with sexy lady walking around with tray of scotch and cigars.

I would warm up the lights, in the concept they have a warmer tint,
  • Ouch
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouch polycounter lvl 4
    I'll run you through my thought process, as I looked at the concept, to maybe help everyone give a more focused, critic. So I looked at the concept first few things I noticed, there were couches, but then there seemed to be airplane style seats on the right, so to me that said vehicle, then out the window, I noticed fish, and blinds on the windows, but one of the fish was a whale, so to big to be a fish tank that means a submarine. between the two seats I saw a bit of the floor, which was shiny which either meant a clear bottom floor that you could see the ocean outside, or some kind of tile, the place seemed posh with nice couches and wood trim so I chose a shiny marble, to compliment my walnut burl, wood-texture on the wall and details. I also chose a tile floor instead of see through glass as I didn't have time in this project to work on the fish and ocean floor details outside, and I felt better keeping it contained. so thats what I had in mind, I also noticed on the couches and the back of the chairs that there seemed to be some kind of orange emissive, which I had in my models but now look like a yellow emissive and too bright So i'll have to change that.

thanks for all the feedback so far, I've got a lot to think about, and am currently trying to figure out how to best implement it.

what particular materials are reading poorly and what are you suggestions for fixing them.

couches- microfiber
    floor- carpet/marble
    trimm- walnut burl
    wall- black tile
    light fixture - anisotropic metal (faked with normals as unreal doesn't currently support them)
  • nastobi123
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 polycounter lvl 8
    Honestly, I have no idea what I'm lookin at. Is this a hotel lounge ? a restaurant ? A train carriage lobby ? definitely looks amazing though. You should add something that explicitly tells the viewer without reading description the context and or story of your environment.
  • Heather.Hughes
    I got the submarine/boat feel from the concept as well.

However, I'm not really getting it from your piece (probably due to the windows). The whole window area looks odd to me. I'd revisit that and see if you can't get closer to the concept. The blinds should be a lot chunkier as well if you want to match the concept.